Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Looking For Advice On Writing Fanfiction

OmegaBeamOfficial

So basically, I'm starting to get into writing fanfiction on fimfiction.net. Problem is, I'm sort of stuck on my first story. See, my basic plan is to write at least 5 chapters for my first fanfiction, each with 21 ten line paragraphs. But I'm struggling to write so I'm wondering if I could get any tips on how to improve fanfiction writing on my part so I can make it something worth reading.

1. My main problem: Writer's block - I'm only 11 paragraphs into my first chapter and I have no ideas for where the story should go from here, I've hit a blank. In other words, writers block. Any advice on how to get inspiration or ideas forming in my head would help tremendously.

2. Shipping - My first story involves a heavy amount of shipping. In fact It's almost entirely centred around the shipping of two certain characters getting together, with a few slice of life side plots thrown in to keep it fresh. How do I handle shipping in fanfics without making it seem forced or unnatural?

3. Style of writing - On my fimfiction, I've tagged the story with the following categories: Comedy, Random, Romance, Slice Of Life, Thriller. Any advice on how to write well in each of these styles, and more importantly how to blend them together seamlessly, is something I think would take me a long way.

Thanks for reading my post and I hope to hear answers from you soon! :)

Sometimes the best remedy to writer's block is to take a step back. Go do something you enjoy, maybe go for a walk or even try write something else in the mean time. Sooner or late the ideas should come to you.

As for the other two, you won't know how well you'll do until you try, so worrying about that until you actually put word to paper is pointless. There's no universal advice to writing in a particular style or genre, or knowing if the shipping is heavy-handed or not. However, I offer the advice I offer to everyone: look into getting an editor and/proof-reader, preferably at least two. Having an extra pair of eyes looking over you story can do wonders in getting a fresh perspective and point out places to make improvement.s

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes the best remedy to writer's block is to take a step back. Go do something you enjoy, maybe go for a walk or even try write something else in the mean time. Sooner or late the ideas should come to you.

As for the other two, you won't know how well you'll do until you try, so worrying about that until you actually put word to paper is pointless. There's no universal advice to writing in a particular style or genre, or knowing if the shipping is heavy-handed or not. However, I offer the advice I offer to everyone: look into getting an editor and/proof-reader, preferably at least two. Having an extra pair of eyes looking over you story can do wonders in getting a fresh perspective and point out places to make improvement.s

I see... So I've gotta hire an editor from someplace? That might actually help... Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

I doubt I can help you, but I'll try.

1. Music. I scour for music that conveys the emotions that I want my characters to express. When I have trouble mapping out the story structure, I keep asking myself questions. How will this happen? How can I make it happen? Can I do it better? Oftentimes, I end up with over a dozen rough drafts before I get something I can work with.

2. This is a lot harder. My advice is to just not ship aby characters that, A. You don't like, or B. You don't relate to. Let's assume that that's not the case. I think to myself, "Why would these two characters feel this way towards each other?" "How would they express it?" "How would they react?" I find that placing yourself in one of the character's shoes helps me. It's tricky, though. If it requires a lot of effort to make it seem NOT forced, then it probably is. Believe me, I have scrapped scores upon scores of scenes in just two of my fanfictions before I was remotely satisfied.

3. Study the styles of other storytellers. If I want to write romance, I read a romantic novel. If I want to write comedy, I watch comedic movies. Blending genres takes more effort, but it still boils down to the studying of current methods. I find that after one or two stories, you'll cement your own style of writing. From then on, it's only up to you to make little changes to gradually improve.

None of what I say is definite. It's just been enough to help me.

Edited by GeekySonic
  • Brohoof 1

I doubt I can help you, but I'll try.

1. Music. I scour for music that conveys the emotions that I want my characters to express. When I have trouble mapping out the story structure, I keep asking myself questions. How will this happen? How can I make it happen? Can I do it better? Oftentimes, I end up with over a dozen rough drafts before I get something I can work with.

2. This is a lot harder. My advice is to just not ship aby characters that, A. You don't like, or B. You don't relate to. Let's assume that that's not the case. I think to myself, "Why would these two characters feel this way towards each other?" "How would they express it?" "How would they react?" I find that placing yourself in one of the character's shoes helps me. It's tricky, though. If it requires a lot of effort to make it seem NOT forced, then it probably is. Believe me, I have scrapped scores upon scores of scenes in just two of my fanfictions before I was remotely satisfied.

3. Study the styles of other storytellers. If I want to write romance, I read a romantic novel. If I want to write comedy, I watch comedic movies. Blending genres takes more effort, but it still boils down to the studying of current methods. I find that after one or two stories, you'll cement your own style of writing. From then on, it's only up to you to make little changes to gradually improve.

None of what I say is definite. It's just been enough to help me.

1. So I'm trying the music thing and It's already starting to inspire me. Thanks!

2. I see what you mean. I don't think I'll need to try too hard on this ship, It's easy to come to terms with now that I think about it, empathy's the first step it seems.

3. I know what you're getting at, but sadly, that method doesn't help me much. When I look at other stuff and end up having to write, I tend to pretty much end up with a carbon copy of my inspiration with slight changes, and I don't want that.

But really, thanks for your help.

Hmm, here's a potentially useful suggestion.

You could try RPing on FanFiction.net, by RPing with others you can gain ideas for writing, plus you claim and RP as your favourite MLP character provided that they are available and you ask the admin of the RP threads or perform an audition for one if needed. One of my fimfiction stories was inspired by a RP.

Plus, you can get creative when creating your own OC's.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, here's a potentially useful suggestion.

You could try RPing on FanFiction.net, by RPing with others you can gain ideas for writing, plus you claim and RP as your favourite MLP character provided that they are available and you ask the admin of the RP threads or perform an audition for one if needed. One of my fimfiction stories was inspired by a RP.

Plus, you can get creative when creating your own OC's.

I see what you're getting at. I don't tend to use my OC's in fanfiction though, I'd rather keep them to their own universes.

ok ill answer your questions and ill add some writing tips

1. Writers Block. this is sometimes hard to deal with but there are a couple ways to be able to over come first is take a break go for a walk watch tv play video games relax. then while your doing whatever look around you take in everything look at details. after you relaxed brainstorm this works for me. and a quick tip dont force your first story to be longer than it needs to dont just add moutains of filler just to meet that dead line write what is good and read over what you already have done and cut out not needed or bad parts everything needs a reason to be there.

2.Shipping. to make something not feel forced it has to have depth and meaning into it why do those characters love eachother what would they do for them what do have in common what do they not have in common what are there flaws what do they do besides love each other in other words what their usual life. other ways are to not always focus on it its good to have sub plots and all that. side note be reasonable with who you ship spike an discord would not be good to do and dont do the focus on how there gay or lesbian thing because it shouldnt be mentioned alot if its there

3.Style of writing. tags are things that i would do after i finish the story is finished but since your starting off i say its ok for now just dont depend on them for a theme write whats good and fits. every tag you said really goes well with each other except thriller this depends on what exactly is going on but its kinda hard to have someone get brutally murdered to then go and be funny unless you save the thriller part til later or its sorta like a detective case sorta thing then i would say it would be hard but again i dont know the exact case. again write what you feel would be best and fit in good

general tips. have someone proof read each chapter when your done then work on cutting out bad stuff which lets face it your starting out so there are gonna be parts that arnt gonna be good or are bad remember everything is there for a reason if your gonna say theres a 30 foot tall gorilla then you better use it. add little details and foreshadow this will make any twist or anything even better to the reader. dont stress out over the length. put what feels right at the moment in the story. when theres a conversation dont go said ( character ) every time it changes to who is speaking only do it if it would be confusing or its needed. dont drag on thing that dont explaining how the street looked exactly isnt that useful explain it but not fully mean while if a character is dying give detail dont just go he was stabbed because then it would be to fast for the reader and then they get confused. Symbolism Symbolism Symbolism i love it a great example in mlp is twilight and celstia season 1 and season 6 you can see how twilight has become like celestia and they havent said anything like that yet. Have character flaws everyone has them and dont do tacky ones like young relatable ones do ones like they have mental issues or something like that and tie it to the story and even if you dont it grows the character and fleshes them out. thats really it hope i helped in anyway 

• Brohoof 1

ok ill answer your questions and ill add some writing tips

1. Writers Block. this is sometimes hard to deal with but there are a couple ways to be able to over come first is take a break go for a walk watch tv play video games relax. then while your doing whatever look around you take in everything look at details. after you relaxed brainstorm this works for me. and a quick tip dont force your first story to be longer than it needs to dont just add moutains of filler just to meet that dead line write what is good and read over what you already have done and cut out not needed or bad parts everything needs a reason to be there.

2.Shipping. to make something not feel forced it has to have depth and meaning into it why do those characters love eachother what would they do for them what do have in common what do they not have in common what are there flaws what do they do besides love each other in other words what their usual life. other ways are to not always focus on it its good to have sub plots and all that. side note be reasonable with who you ship spike an discord would not be good to do and dont do the focus on how there gay or lesbian thing because it shouldnt be mentioned alot if its there

3.Style of writing. tags are things that i would do after i finish the story is finished but since your starting off i say its ok for now just dont depend on them for a theme write whats good and fits. every tag you said really goes well with each other except thriller this depends on what exactly is going on but its kinda hard to have someone get brutally murdered to then go and be funny unless you save the thriller part til later or its sorta like a detective case sorta thing then i would say it would be hard but again i dont know the exact case. again write what you feel would be best and fit in good

general tips. have someone proof read each chapter when your done then work on cutting out bad stuff which lets face it your starting out so there are gonna be parts that arnt gonna be good or are bad remember everything is there for a reason if your gonna say theres a 30 foot tall gorilla then you better use it. add little details and foreshadow this will make any twist or anything even better to the reader. dont stress out over the length. put what feels right at the moment in the story. when theres a conversation dont go said ( character ) every time it changes to who is speaking only do it if it would be confusing or its needed. dont drag on thing that dont explaining how the street looked exactly isnt that useful explain it but not fully mean while if a character is dying give detail dont just go he was stabbed because then it would be to fast for the reader and then they get confused. Symbolism Symbolism Symbolism i love it a great example in mlp is twilight and celstia season 1 and season 6 you can see how twilight has become like celestia and they havent said anything like that yet. Have character flaws everyone has them and dont do tacky ones like young relatable ones do ones like they have mental issues or something like that and tie it to the story and even if you dont it grows the character and fleshes them out. thats really it hope i helped in anyway 

Thanks, you're a great help :)

• Brohoof 1

As a beginning writer myself, I've found that writing down, in summary form, what will happen in the story before writing helps. This way, you can always have a guide and a clear direction on where you're going instead of just winging it. In addition, I also try to write down a simplified version of the deeper themes and meanings the story will hold, as to not lose sight of those.

Also, I can tell you from experience that finding an editor/proofreader should help a lot. In my first story, it all made sense in my head because I was the one who wrote it, but when other people went to read it they didn't get the motives of the main character. A proofreader can help in this regard because it gives a second perspective on how the story will look to an outsider.

Edited by Mouse
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

As a beginning writer myself, I've found that writing down, in summary form, what will happen in the story before writing helps. This way, you can always have a guide and a clear direction on where you're going instead of just winging it. In addition, I also try to write down a simplified version of the deeper themes and meanings the story will hold, as to not lose sight of those.

Also, I can tell you from experience that finding an editor/proofreader should help a lot. In my first story, it all made sense in my head because I was the one who wrote it, but when other people went to read it they didn't get the motives of the main character. A proofreader can help in this regard because it gives a second perspective on how the story will look to an outsider.

Good point. I have sort of done that, but I've only summarised the first chapter which is mostly filler, as I don't wanna reveal important plot points or the ending. I also got someone as an editor for that chapter and it really helped me too.

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial
  • Brohoof 1