Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did Tirek know about Cadance?

Azureth

This is one thing I didn't get. Of course he would know about Celestia and Luna being they were around when Tirek was sent to Tartarus, but Cadance should be as much of a mystery as Twilight. 

@@Azureth,

This is a good point, however I do wonder now, just how long has Cadance been around? Is that covered in any canon lore? 

Well, she was Twilights foal sitter but even then she was fairly young, and definitely doesn't seem to be that much older than Twilight.

Discord might have told him. ^^

When Tirek asked Discord why he wasn't informed of Twilight, Discord said he needed assurance that he and Tirek were truly working as a partnership first. Why was it Twilight and not Cadance that he waited to tell Tirek about? I think there are two reasons why Discord might have told Tirek of one princess, but not the other. One, Discord felt more guilty about betraying the Mane Six (more specifically, Fluttershy) than betraying the other princesses. Therefore, he needed to make absolute sure that what he was giving up was, in his opinion, not as valuable as what he could gain through his partnership with Tirek. He even alluded to this after he was double crossed. Discord also seemed to know that all alicorn magic was given to Twilight. There was a scene, shortly after Twilight received the extra magic, where Discord felt that shift in magical energy. He purposefully kept Tirek in the dark about it because he did not yet trust him. Cadance, then, would not have been a benefit to Tirek, and Discord probably knew it.

Edited by Kiri
  • Brohoof 4

Tirek had been roaming free for some time before he was able to start causing problems. With Cadence serving as the ruler of the Crystal Empire, she would have been quite high-profile compared to Twilight, who had barely begun to grow into her new role.

Since Tirek had been on the run after escaping Tartarus and waiting for his powers to recover, he must have learned about Cadance when he heard about the Royal Wedding, then when she took over the Crystal Empire as it's new sovereign. That information alone would have allowed him to know he would be dealing with three Alicorn Princesses instead of just two now, especially considering that Celestia and Luna were the ones responsible for his original imprisonment in the first place after he was betrayed and ratted out by Scorpan.

Since Tirek had been on the run after escaping Tartarus and waiting for his powers to recover, he must have learned about Cadance when he heard about the Royal Wedding, then when she took over the Crystal Empire as it's new sovereign. That information alone would have allowed him to know he would be dealing with three Alicorn Princesses instead of just two now, especially considering that Celestia and Luna were the ones responsible for his original imprisonment in the first place after he was betrayed and ratted out by Scorpan.

I understand that, but it wasn't as if Twilight just became a princess with no celebration, she had a huge ass coronation, one would think Tirek would have known about it.

I understand that, but it wasn't as if Twilight just became a princess with no celebration, she had a huge ass coronation, one would think Tirek would have known about it.

He may have been so busy staying in the shadows until his powers returned that he never found out about it since even then, he would have probably revealed himself sooner if he learned of it and alerted the Royal Family so he never would have the chance to take his revenge as he would be right back in Tartarus before he could make his move.

It was a long time ago that I watched Twilight's Kingdom, but did Tirek actually display any knowledge of Cadance before storming into the throne room?

Still... I suppose if he didn't know about her he would have been surprised when he saw her, so he probably did.

I don't think he did know about Cadance. I think the various princess were running on a lot of guesses and supposition about what he knew or didn't know and leaped to some rather strange conclusions.

It's entirely possible Celestia's premonitions may have told her that Tirek would confront Her, Luna, and Cadance in the throne room, but not any context behind that. From that she would assume Tirek knew about Cadance, and basically it became a self-fulfilling prophecy, which such things are prone to do.