Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc OOC USS Luna

Mentis Soliloquy

Ah, OK. Sorry for "trying to be funny", btw. I thought we wre waiting for Miss Reaper or Blood Drops.

Also, Shuttle Bay. She said the delegation wil make it to the shuttle. The old guy will explain his reason for doing just so when you meet him.

Why thank you! I already have a plan to stake their claim on the System, as the "righteous owners", of course. I'll continue to give tiny hints that will hopefully point a certain bat pony to the right conclusions, and patiently wait to activate some trap cards, if needs be.

• Brohoof 1

Misty, Indicus, with me we'll go and meat the delegation and get a gauge for them. As the three started for the turbo lifts Mentis looks back to the bridge crew. "Relax everyone we'll be fine, Flight you have the bridge

@Mentis Soliloquy

I think you mean Lunar Symphony to go with Mentis and Indicus, rather than Misty (Flight.)

(sorry about the small late post guys, work crushed me over Easter)

No trouble at all. 

16 hours ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

@Mentis Soliloquy

Do you mind if I put another post in of Misty explaining to Blood what she wants*?

Hide contents

Sweep a wide-beam laser across space to actively hunt for visual distortions that would indicate a ship under cloak. 

shoot

@Everyone

Just thought I would let ya know, if it comes to when I can jump in, My posting will be slow. Was just kicked out onto the streets.

All it means is I will potentially be slow to post due to internet requirements for my phone.

15 minutes ago, BloodDrops said:

It emitted different wavelengths from the ships scanners, when it eventually found the frequency of the cloaked ship it would in essence be visible for scanners.

That's not really what Misty suggested... what she suggested was this:

lidar.png.5f78fe597b33fa2125cee0343eccc8ef.png

On a meta level, I was thinking that this would be an ongoing side arc - so the first primitive anti-stealth lidar wouldn't be very effective, but is developed as more stealth ships are encountered. For example, the distortion produced by the above scan wouldn't be visible in a complete vacuum, as the laser beams wouldn't be visible and there shouldn't be any reflection from the stealth ship. It might work in an environment with some dust content though, so it has its uses. The next step, then, might be to deploy laser drones to orbit the ship at long range and fire the lasers at it - in those cases, a distortion would indicate an intervening object. Other ideas could include 'chalk torpedoes' that, when deployed, spread chalk dust (or similar highly reflective dust) across an area, which would allow an observer to trace the laser beams and visually identify the distortions.

(edited)
36 minutes ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

That's not really what Misty suggested... what she suggested was this:

lidar.png.5f78fe597b33fa2125cee0343eccc8ef.png

On a meta level, I was thinking that this would be an ongoing side arc - so the first primitive anti-stealth lidar wouldn't be very effective, but is developed as more stealth ships are encountered. For example, the distortion produced by the above scan wouldn't be visible in a complete vacuum, as the laser beams wouldn't be visible and there shouldn't be any reflection from the stealth ship. It might work in an environment with some dust content though, so it has its uses. The next step, then, might be to deploy laser drones to orbit the ship at long range and fire the lasers at it - in those cases, a distortion would indicate an intervening object. Other ideas could include 'chalk torpedoes' that, when deployed, spread chalk dust (or similar highly reflective dust) across an area, which would allow an observer to trace the laser beams and visually identify the distortions.

you gonna shine light waves at them? Or smack them with chalk torpedo? You know that's not very passive, might as well chuck a photon torpedo at them. Anyway, it wouldn't be reflected, but absorbed, its essentially a shield that mimics its surrounding space, you wouldn't get any refraction, since its a solid and would eat whatever you send at it. Similarly to a black hole, though you could monitor whats absorbing your emitter, and then use that to identify what shape the object is.

Though using resonance frequency, you could get a wavelength of the same frequency of the cloak, and then bypass the cloak. Or make the whole cloak shake itself to pieces. 

bored.png

Edited by BloodDrops
added a picture

2 minutes ago, BloodDrops said:

you gonna shine light waves at them? Or smack them with chalk torpedo?

If the chalk torpedo is deployed some time in advance, it would allow the dust cloud to spread. Then, when you sweep the area with a laser beam, the path of the beam would be visible. Obviously the limited range of the cloud is a major drawback to this method, but it might have some use when the location of the cloaked ship is suspected.

9 minutes ago, BloodDrops said:

its essentially a shield that mimics its surrounding space,

I didn't know that, but the process to defeat it is the same - as it is an imperfect mimic, subjecting it to complex or rapidly changing light patterns could overwhelm its emitters, causing slight delays / skips in the image that could be detected. 

I'm aware that none of these methods are passive, but active scanning isn't an aggressive action (no more than using sonar to ping a submarine, for example) and using active stealth systems would probably be considered the more provocative action. 

1 minute ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

If the chalk torpedo is deployed some time in advance, it would allow the dust cloud to spread. Then, when you sweep the area with a laser beam, the path of the beam would be visible. Obviously the limited range of the cloud is a major drawback to this method, but it might have some use when the location of the cloaked ship is suspected.

at which point, said ship will fire torpedoes and lasers at you. which results in

1. Angry captain 

2. Destroyed Ship.

2 minutes ago, Once In A Blue Moon said:

I didn't know that, but the process to defeat it is the same - as it is an imperfect mimic, subjecting it to complex or rapidly changing light patterns could overwhelm its emitters, causing slight delays / skips in the image that could be detected. 

I'm aware that none of these methods are passive, but active scanning isn't an aggressive action (no more than using sonar to ping a submarine, for example) and using active stealth systems would probably be considered the more provocative action. 

just scanning it is roughly fine  though you will just know where the cloak is not whats within the cloak.

You would have to either know the cloak configuration to bypass the cloak and therefore be able to scan inside but you would be detected and that would be considered a aggressive action. Similarly trying to do anything to know whats behind the cloak could be considered a act of aggression, since your technically using cyber warfare.  

7 minutes ago, BloodDrops said:

at which point, said ship will fire torpedoes and lasers at you. 

I was assuming a combat or cat-and-mouse scenario - if it reaches the point where they have both the motivation and means to open fire then they drop their cloak and attack. This would be of use if you are attempting to hunt down a cloaked ship that can't fight you directly (who, when detected, would be forced to surrender.) 

9 minutes ago, BloodDrops said:

just scanning it is roughly fine  though you will just know where the cloak is not whats within the cloak.

That's all you need to know. The size should give you a rough approximation of the ship, but all that's really needed are coordinates. 

Ugh,  didn't I mention that I'll tell you if there's anything cloaked around? So I'm telling you - the Romulan Star Empire has no cloaked ships within an hour pulse range or so. Should be enough breathing space right? The Genorex is more than enough to grind Luna into space junk anyway, no need to escalate it further.

So unless someone else picks up that newly found ship as a fourth party (other than already present and Tal-Shiar, could be Jok's ship for example), then I don't want it I'm my Romulan roster. As always, up for GM to decide.

3 hours ago, Raven Rawne said:

Ugh,  didn't I mention that I'll tell you if there's anything cloaked around? So I'm telling you - the Romulan Star Empire has no cloaked ships within an hour pulse range or so. Should be enough breathing space right? The Genorex is more than enough to grind Luna into space junk anyway, no need to escalate it further.

So unless someone else picks up that newly found ship as a fourth party (other than already present and Tal-Shiar, could be Jok's ship for example), then I don't want it I'm my Romulan roster. As always, up for GM to decide.

How would you know if anything was around if it were cloaked, the point of being cloaked is that your not detectable by convectional means