Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc OOC USS Luna

Mentis Soliloquy

@@Raven Rawne,

I agree with the shift split, which I can actually do soon enough once we get to the meeting and briefing it will be a few RP days before we get to where we're going so we can sort out shifts before then and Mentis can hand them out at the meeting.

Everyone is welcome to add input to this or anything else aswell since we are paused. 

Thought

Night shift 24.00 to 08.00

day shift 08.00 to 16.00

evening shift 16.00 to 24.00?

and as we progress we pick random shifts each day to "Take a look on board?" 

Edited by Mentis Soliloquy
  • Brohoof 2

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

Sounds good to me. The shift plan. Since Engineering has 28 souls, minus Crystal and her assistant, I can split them into 4 teams 7 peeps each. So two teams sit on consoles at any given shift, one is in reserve/fixing things, and 1 is off duty. I'm not sure whether Crystal and her second shouldn't take 12 hour shifts, since one of them technically should be on duty at any given time...

Picking a random shift each day is also a good idea, since RP-ing 24/7 would make it slow and unbearable at times. Although it would require settling who is on duty and who is off (and for how long, since they need to sleep too). Still, it can be done rather easily.

• Brohoof 1

To everyone we'll be paused for a few days until Once in a Blue Moon returns.

By the power of time zones, I have returned earlier than expected.

Since we're waiting, maybe we could discuss some helpful things, like shifts?

As luck would have it, I've been in a space RPG in the past and had to draw up crew numbers, salaries, shifts and so on; it's for a smaller ship (10 - 40 crew for a cargo / company HQ ship) but it would be a handy template. We only really used it for random encounters to determine who would be on the bridge at the time:

post-34886-0-52158700-1481746596_thumb.png

The basic principle is that you always have one of the senior crew on duty at a given time, with the majority on during the 'command shift.' The rota would be one shift on duty, one shift on free time and one shift asleep. If we follow this, then most of the PCs will be on bridge / rest at the same time, with a couple of senior-ish NPCs covering the other shifts.

yeah its quite complicated, the main power actually doesn't lie with the captain its with the Chief medical Officer. There are a few ways I could take control of the ship.

Except that the captain has the final say in all decisions on their ship. Navies have highly authoritarian structures, and unless the captain is clearly completely off their rocker then there is no real prospect of removing them.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 2

I like that template!

Thank you. None of the rest of my group (or the GM for that matter) liked doing the number-crunching, so I did it both in-character and out-of-character (they played as space adventurers, I played as a space accountant. It worked surprisingly well.) 

BTW it appears that it's your or Mentis's turn right now.

I'm working on it now. 

• Brohoof 1

Except that the captain has the final say in all decisions on their ship

Since this is a Star fleet rp, ill direct you directive 39, the lowest directive in starfleet.

General Order 39

An officer or crewmember may be removed from active duty status if they are judged to be incapable of fulfilling their obligations as a member of Starfleet, whether for medical or psychological reasons, by either the Chief Medical Officer or by the two ranking command staff officers.

I could make the captian, first officer and then the rest who are more qualified than me removed from active duty. Though you would end up laughing at me and dragging me to the brig.

Edited by BloodDrops

General Order 39  

An officer or crewmember may be removed from active duty status if they are judged to be incapable of fulfilling their obligations as a member of Starfleet, whether for medical or psychological reasons, by either the Chief Medical Officer or by the two ranking command staff officers.

General Order 28

"No officer of command rank shall be removed from command status unless such action has the complete and unqualified agreement of at least three senior officers present. Whenever possible, such officers shall include the ship's First Officer, Chief Medical Officer, Counselor, and one junior officer of command station."

Which, in practice, doesn't happen. 

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon

General Order 28

I will try and explain. 

It depends on the case, If Sol suddenly decided he wants to nuke a M class planet, or destroy a nebula that risked hurting a M class planet nearby or something similar. Then general order 39 can supersede general order 28. The only way it wouldn't be superseded is if it went against the prime directive, since that's the only thing that cannot get superseded apart from Omega Directive. 

I might need to explain about the Omega Directive as well.

Do you want a explanation on the omega Directive as well?

The only way it wouldn't be superseded is if it went against the prime directive, since that's the only thing that cannot get superseded apart from Omega Directive. 

39 completely invalidates 28 if it takes precedence, whereas since the prime directive (numbered 1) is considered the ultimate directive it implies a decreasing order of precedence, with 1 at the top and 39 at the bottom. And you have to have an order of precedence, otherwise there will be no guide to how to deal with conflicting regulations.

I might need to explain about the Omega Directive as well.   Do you want a explanation on the omega Directive as well?

I read up on it. It doesn't seem relevant other than it takes precedence over all other regulations (making it general order 0, so to speak.) 

At the end of the day, in the scenario you suggest it is the captain's word against the chief medical officer's word. Regardless of regulations, if the captain clearly isn't unfit then no-one is going to believe the chief medical officer so nothing will happen (and, if taken up with Starfleet, the captain will be vindicated if no evidence can be provided to prove that they were unfit for command.) It makes an interesting plot point if the captain's behaviour is a bit off but hasn't crossed the line into hazardous, I suppose.

39 completely invalidates 28 if it takes precedence, whereas since the prime directive (numbered 1) is considered the ultimate directive it implies a decreasing order of precedence, with 1 at the top and 39 at the bottom. And you have to have an order of precedence, otherwise there will be no guide to how to deal with conflicting regulations.

True, its mainly based on common sense. Don't give weapons to a war mongering race, don't give aliens advanced technological advances, don't give out medical supply's  etc.

I read up on it. It doesn't seem relevant  other than it takes precedence over all other regulations (making it general order 0, so to speak.) 

The issue I have with this, Only Sol will know about this, no one else will. He will not be allowed to tell anyone about anything he is doing, otherwise he will end up getting jailed from between 30yrs - lifelong sentence, stripped of rank, and the crew will have to undergo memory editing. Unfortunately i watched this episode and know what it is, so technically i don't want accidentally go into mary sue territory.

Basically, if a omega particle was detected, sol would have to destroy it regards to safety of himself, or others. Then the rest of the crew would have thought he would be insane. here the issue with it is, if he starts breaking the prime directive on a secret mission, what will the crew do about it?

You either go along with it, or you don't. 

OK you two, it's good your in the swing of things but your discussions are a little premature. As for the Omega directive, well that may or may not ever occur...

OK you two, it's good your in the swing of things but your discussions are a little premature. As for the Omega directive, well that may or may not ever occur...

yes, but Blood getting bored in her sick bay ^^

Engineering will help as well, also Once is back which is good

rp on ponies

@@BloodDrops,

think you know where this is going, I am going to be doing my damn best to lead a proper story driven RP for once. (well I hope so anyway).   Anyhow how, this RP with be Anthro as there is a demand for it with the RPer's here.    Head positions will come on a first come, first serve basis.   Obviously if your OC is not designed for Star Trek, post alterations here in the OOC.

Coughs,

you need to make sure your reading everything thoroughly.  

Coughs,   you need to make sure your reading everything thoroughly.  

What kind of Anthro though?

Hooves as legs and hands as er hands?

Hovves as hands and legs as legs?

hands and legs as human?

Equestria girl style

or just human human? 

@@BloodDrops,

some more info, for the ponies and other Anthro's if we gain any, now or in the future. It's this style.   Spoiler For ponies for other species   Obviously these are just examples of body types, essentially there is still some animal in them for this RP.

Click on the return link to page 2 of the OOC

Juust in case anybody's curious, I'm waiting for the bridge to acknowledge that the warp drive has been tested and deemed safe to use - Crystal ordered her assistent to spread the word.

Ah right. I was waiting to see if our good counselor has anything more to say - I think that engineering can probably test the warp drive by themselves, though, so by all means press on.

Click on the return link to page 2 of the OOC

For the record, that image doesn't make clear whether the ponies have hooves or hands. I incline towards hooves, but I've been avoiding any direct references. 

• Brohoof 1

@@Once In A Blue Moon,

Waaay ahead of you Helmsman ;)  Engineering has already tested the Warp Drive by funnelling the test quantities of warp plasma to the nacelles - enough to tell if stuff's working, but not nearly enough to actually warp out somewhere. The Assistant Chief Engineer was taked with informing the Bridge that they may now use the drive to their heart's content. Meaning either you or the captain were informed over the commbadge about it.

• Brohoof 1

It is getting to that time of the year where our families become more important than the internet, if everyone can post at least once a week, or if not make it known in the OOC that is fine... we can pick back up in the new year.