Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Who remembers ROBLOX?

Bingopony16

maxresdefault.jpg

Roblox was one of those online games that I had played a lot in my younger years, and even today I still hop back on it every once and a while. I met my best online friend through this game and we still talk to this day. I know it isn't as popular as it used to be, but does anyone else remember it?

There actually is an Xbox One version too so I definitely remember it. :D It, to me, isn't fantastic, at least the Xbox One version isn't because they launched it with limited features. I have heard there was a huge update for it recently so I may give it another go. I like the concept of it a lot.

I used to play ROBLOX all the time. I made an account back in October 2011 and I named myself Jupiter33, because I was really interested in the solar system back then. In fact, my name is still Jupiter33 on there because you have to pay ROBUX for some reason to change your name. I slowly stopped playing the game because I started playing Minecraft, and looking back on the community makes me cringe. Everyone talks in bad grammar, hates each other, and gets around the profanity filter to say all the swear words that they want so that they can feel grown up.

• 4 years later...

Honestly I played the shit out of it between when I joined 2009 all the way up to 2016. I’ve met some cool people on there that I’m still friends with to this day and honestly people have made some pretty damn neat creations with it. I don’t play it as much these days and have moved onto other games although I will check back on it every once in a while just to see how things are going.

• 4 weeks later...

I was one of the first users of this game back in the old days when roblox was a lot different to what it is now today. Does seem like a lot more serious game nowadays opposed to the endless zombie games. That and they seem to be made and probably are by people who make video games for a living.

• 3 months later...

Who could forget Roblox? 

I use it for digital models than actually making a game, like I did with Lego Digital Designer. But Studio allows me to create all kinds of shapes and do some other stuff that I couldn't with LDD. 

I played Roblox a lot back in the day, but not as much these days.

I got sort of back into it a little after hearing the news of when it just completely shut down for 3 days. Yikes.

• 1 year later...

I still hop on it mostly out of habit. But I usually play every like few weeks for maybe an hour or two at most now.

My account there is something I will always hold near and dear to myself. 

It sucked seeing one of my friend's accounts from a decade ago get hijacked. Someone fairly recently was using it to try and scam me.... and of course it got banned after that.

For some reason, my account on their DevForums says I joined in 2016 but i never really had access to it until around 2019. I'll take it tho lol

Also for whatever reason my account is friended with an account called "db". I have no idea when or why this happened, but it's cool so I'll keep it I guess. (2 letter usernames are impossible there, so idk)

Oh and there's one thing I made that's still being used in one of the popular games. I won't mention it here to keep my Roblox account private but apparently people associate me as the creator of that specific game when I just made the map for it. Quickest map I ever made, easiest Robux payout I ever got, and forever attached to one of the most disliked games inside that game.

Life. is. gooooood. :sealed:

• 1 month later...
On 2023-06-29 at 2:20 AM, Trot Shuffle said:

I still hop on it mostly out of habit. But I usually play every like few weeks for maybe an hour or two at most now.

My account there is something I will always hold near and dear to myself. 

It sucked seeing one of my friend's accounts from a decade ago get hijacked. Someone fairly recently was using it to try and scam me.... and of course it got banned after that.

For some reason, my account on their DevForums says I joined in 2016 but i never really had access to it until around 2019. I'll take it tho lol

Also for whatever reason my account is friended with an account called "db". I have no idea when or why this happened, but it's cool so I'll keep it I guess. (2 letter usernames are impossible there, so idk)

Oh and there's one thing I made that's still being used in one of the popular games. I won't mention it here to keep my Roblox account private but apparently people associate me as the creator of that specific game when I just made the map for it. Quickest map I ever made, easiest Robux payout I ever got, and forever attached to one of the most disliked games inside that game.

Life. is. gooooood. :sealed:

OH REALLY? YOU BETTER ADD ME. 

But yeah. I don't remember Roblox. What is that, anyway? :toldya: Is it really that old?

All I know is an evil mind mixed peppa pig with creepy pasta cringe and added some sort of survival-horror mistery solving to it in Roblox and they created one of those furry infested micro fandoms that look hyper cringe from the content that youtube suggests you for ever listening to a song someone used for some "meme". :okiedokieloki:

Spoiler

hell yeah Roblox is so fun. i fell out of playing it for a few years & regretted the username i had, so i have a newer account now & just exploring and playing the games on there with friends/my younger siblings is one of the best things . the horror games there can be such hit or misses but even when they do miss its funny enough that i enjoy myself regardless. i wish there wasnt so many manipulative systems & cashgrabs as its mainly aimed towards children but i understand that we live in a capitalist hellscape. i miss & prefer old roblox but its ok...taking change with stride

image.png.1f7d6343e24ecf77f28eb735ba50ad72.png

I love Roblox, but over the years, it's changed. It's not those blocky characters that go "OOF" and dismembered every time they die, and faces that didn't blink. Now, we have blinking faces, 3d clothing, AND NOW THE ONE DEFAULT CHARACTER, THE ICONIC BACON HAIR.. is offsale. Heck, they even CHANGED the default character! I remember playing meepcity, and having a meep circle-- thingy,and her name.. was ANN! *yaaaaaaay!*

7 hours ago, Sneck said:

I remember playing meepcity, and having a meep circle-- thingy,and her name.. was ANN! *yaaaaaaay!*

I'm old enough to tell you that alexnewtron tried making separate mobile and flash games of his Roblox games. I don't know why I remember this but I do anyways :coco:

Meep City for instance was a 2D scrolling flash game (similar to Club Penguin since, from my memory, it had a dock, some sort of shop or cafe and a dance club) before it was put onto Roblox. He had a "Toontown" game which was a remake of Disney's Toon Town game on Roblox which he kinda abandoned for a bit.

He basically just used the same map from that one for Meep City and kept adding more stuff to it until it became what you probably vividly remember!

And as for mobile games, I remember Pears to Pairs (or something like that, it's an Apples to Apples ripoff) being both on Roblox and as a separate mobile app. Everyone was on the Roblox one though so he stopped with that (and boy do I tell you that was some fun times)

I have other random Roblox fun facts and stuff that I experienced which are funny or may be interesting too, if anyone wants to know about it :P

On 2023-08-18 at 11:17 PM, Silky The Smoll said:

OH REALLY? YOU BETTER ADD ME. 

But yeah. I don't remember Roblox. What is that, anyway? :toldya: Is it really that old?

I can't tell if you're ACTUALLY serious or joking :(

*hugs The Magical Snowball of Coping*

At this point it's kinda like Second Life mixed with Steam or whatever game platform. It started out as a 3D physics sandbox heavily inspired by Lego (and maybe K'nex too) before they went full speed ahead into the social and "game creation but for kids" aspect of it. One of the early employees really enjoyed playing games like Runescape and World of Warcraft and wanted to bring that kind social experience to Roblox (plus other gameplay aspects like heavy character customization, trading, and crafting, though that last thing didn't really pan out).

The founders did want a social aspect to it but even during the "then" times, they were much older and not in the "young gamer" crowd like this fresh outta college hire when Roblox was still a baby company. Arguably, if they never hired this guy then Roblox would not be what it is today.

His old posts talking about his first day working there and other programming obstacles for early Roblox days are still out there on some game dev forums if you know where to look! It's interesting stuff, like he was asking other programmers what they would do to deal with permanent bans and a chat filter. Turns out they didn't really have a chat filter so anyone could literally say whatever they wanted to until parents started to complain more and more, and thus the infamous "[ Content Deleted ]" replacement message eventually became a thing (and larger emphasis on site moderation). And of course they weren't sure how to deal with one of the first troublemakers on the platform, which they wanted a permanent ban for. He didn't know if hardware banning or IP banning was more or less effective and needed advice on it, and that sparked a bit of a debate between other programmers.

Anyways, nowadays it's either all about making your own game or playing any of the games other people have made, for free (generally speaking it's always been for free). It uses a modified version of the Lua programming language which can be used to work with other languages like Python and C++, assuming you know how to tell it to do so (Don't look at me because I don't have a clue!)

It can also work with custom models, images, sounds as well but they do need to be approved by Roblox moderation of course. Though, it seems to be easy to trick their moderation WHILE getting in trouble over anything. I don't even want to speak much in their in-game chat because I may get a warning for saying "hi". But that's a completely separate discussion and a horse that's been beaten to death after it was dead.

4 hours ago, Trot Shuffle said:

I can't tell if you're ACTUALLY serious or joking 

Silly emoji means I’m just kidding, many many many people and children still enjoy Roblox <3