Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rarity moment

Oakley

I recently had a Rarity moment where I tried to fit in with a more popular crowd. One of the prettier and popular girls at school came and sat at the same table as me, a while later the rest of her friends joined us for lunch. I got talking with them and they asked me to hang out later. They were friendly and nice however I just felt I didn't fit in with them. We didn't have much in common either. I tried to conform because I felt I needed to(fear of rejection), I tried dressing more mature, wearing make up, getting a different handbag(had a hello kitty one before), reading up on typical girl things and even though I started to fit in, I felt I was giving up a part of myself. In the end I stuck with hanging out with the people I usually do and to my surprise the popular girls accepted me for who I was, not what I was trying to be. So now I hang out with my old and new friends.

Lesson learned :)

Has anypony else here been in a real life situation that resembles a friendship theme from the show?

• Brohoof 2

Well, this one time at band camp...

Hmm, a tricky question to answer really. I probably have had a Mane 6 moment before but it has slipped my mind. Of course, I've learnt the whole "Don't judge a book by its cover" and "Don't be too boastful" lessons but those are not strictly linked to MLP and I'm pretty sure most people have experienced them. I'm not one for over-working like AJ, I'm not a perfectionist like Rarity, I'm not one for crazy-schedule keeping like Twi, I'm most certainly not known for being too assertive unless it involves busting through the swamps of kids at my school and I am not known for loneliness or depression due to no one liking my parties but that could be because I've never thrown a party. If I remember a specific incident that relates to MLP lessons then I shall post it here.

• Brohoof 3

Oh, I've done that before. But halfway through hanging out with the girly popular girls, I realized that none of them liked the same stuff as me, they all wore skirts (which I detest. I have no beef with them when other people are wearing them, I just feel like a slut when I wear 'em), they wore makeup constantly, and they were mean enough to talk about each other behind their backs.

So I pretty much said "Screw you guys" and went to go play some good ol' Baldur's Gate and World of Warcraft and geek around with my friends. Being popular isn't worth crap if it means you can't be yourself or be with friends.

• Brohoof 1

Nah, there's too much drama associated with being popular.

I just hang out with friends what I know will stick with me. We may not be the popular group, but least we can rely on each other.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

By popular people I hope you don't mean the guys who have cocky, flat-brimmed hats with a thousand stickers on it and the girls who gossip about every. Single. Thing.

"OMG, duck faces are soool cute!"

(No offense to anyone who does this).

Edited by Pilot (Croaks)
  • Brohoof 1

I know a handful of popular people - a good chunk of them are class guys that are nice, but most of them are dick bags. I'd like to say that its different for women, but clearly it isn't.

The friends I have aren't popular, but we never intended to be. The only exception to this being one friend in particular, but that's because he's popular outside of school. But regardless, my only experience would be during my first year in high school, where I had a choice to be friends with the jocks and the stoners or hang out with the interesting nerds that played games on the computer and went on the internet. You can clearly guess which one I chose, due to my lack of patience towards dicks and my clear interests in things that aren't sports or pot.

• Brohoof 2

I've known a fair few popular kids who were popular because they were socially-oriented and warm, but there's always a side that's intolerably vapid and status-mongering. Why the decent ones were ever seen with them I'll never know.

Nah, there's too much drama associated with being popular.

I just hang out with friends what I know will stick with me. We may not be the popular group, but least we can rely on each other.

This was my experience, too. I mostly hung out with the outsider-type people, which worked for us because we understood each other and were happy to have people who cared. Well, most of us, anyway.

In my sophomore year of high school a new kid transferred in, and my friends and I wound up inviting him to our table because we noticed he always sat alone. Chubby, awkward kid who had an intense emotional breakdown prior to the transfer, but we loved him. He wound up ditching us for the worst of the worst when it came to the "popular crowd" after he remodeled himself next year, and didn't have time for us except to show off his new popularity and pictures of his hot new girlfriend to me (knowing I'd liked him). Because, you know, cool people who wouldn't even look at him when he arrived let alone support him through the echoes of his suicide attempt are a much better social ideal to strive for than uncool people who would.

I got a call from him a few years later, but it turned out it was because the chick had dumped him. Heaven help him if he ever needs what he had with us in life again.

(edited)
I'd say that I was a popular kid. But not in the traditional sense of popular kids you think about. I knew practically everyone at my HS by my Junior Year. I hung out with geeks, jocks, weeaboos; practically every social clique you could think of, I was friends with someone in it. Despite being shyer than Fluttershy, somehow I made tons of friends. I wouldn't change anything about my HS years. Edited by Vee
  • Brohoof 1

I'd say that I was a popular kid. But not in the traditional sense of popular kids you think about. I knew practically everyone at my HS by my Junior Year. I hung out with geeks, jocks, weeaboos; practically every social clique you could think of, I was friends with someone in it. Despite being shyer than Fluttershy, somehow I made tons of friends. I wouldn't change anything about my HS years.

that sounds a lot like me ;)

I tend to talk to all kinds of people at school too. I can be a little shy when meeting new people but once I warm up to them I'm okay. I think just being myself has helped rather than trying to fit in with a group :)

• Brohoof 1

that sounds a lot like me ;)

I tend to talk to all kinds of people at school too. I can be a little shy when meeting new people but once I warm up to them I'm okay. I think just being myself has helped rather than trying to fit in with a group :)

Pretty much this. Plus not giving a flying buck what people think about you helps.

My town literally has no "popular" people, it's more like groups of people who collaborate on friendship alot. The whole social infrastructure is quite atypical, i guess, and I'm fine with it. Normal is boring.

I don't associate with most popular people, because they focus on trying to stay popular instead of focusing on what made them popular in the first place.

I used to try to hang out with the REALLY popular crowd but Asperger's Syndrome and laziness don't exactly help, and I stopped trying this year. I'm well known with many of the really popular kids, but I'm friends mostly with the popular/average crowd :). One of mah better friends seems to be really liked by the really popular ones but he hangs out mostly with the average crowd, so that proves that you can be really popular but average at the same time ;).

I've never really felt the need to fit in with the popular group. Probably because I spent a lot of my school life getting bullied by them and had to convince myself they were all horrible people and weren't worth my time. I was happy to just stick with a few good friends.

You know what, you're fine the way you are, so don't try to conform to any one crowd. I fit in with several crowds in school, I was a drama club kid, I was in band, I was in student council, and all those things considered popular, but I didn't think I was popular. So really, don't change who you are simply because of the crowd.

The only reason I fit in with the crowds I did was because I just told the people, "I'm me and that's all I will say, just accept me for me." Most of the crowd in all the groups listed considered me who I am and didn't seek a change. Though my freshman year in high school was pretty bad, because of the factors of some of the kids who thought they were popular, then found out that I was more popular because the seniors liked hanging out with me more and also wanted to hang out. Truth of the matter is you would be surprised how popular you are when you don't realize it. You make yourself popular, not how those so-called popular people make you.

So stay strong on who you are and don't get upset too easily with that crowd.

I had a Rarity moment all through high school...didn't get me anywhere.

Oh yeah! I completely forgot the time at school people thought me and my best friend were lesbians, because hey saw us coming out of the locker room together. That is about as popular as I've ever gotten.

I was never cool enough to be with the popular kids and too cool to be with the nerd groups.

So I hanged with this group of "Inbetweeners" :) Awesome people.