mega thread Anime Discussion Thread

Goodra

I'm trying to become an anime fan, so far so good. I'm trying to watch all of Naruto, Gintama (not to be confused to Kintama), Soul eater, Bleach, and Fate stay night.

Those series aren't that good tho

I mean, I've watched some drama/action orientated anime, but I always end up finding comedy (and moe) more entertaining. One of my favorites that isn't comedy is Rozen Maiden, even though I've never seen the follow up series because I couldn't find a japanese dub. ;_;

• Brohoof 1

If you've got an hour and a half to kill, I highly reccomend checking out Parasite Dolls. It's a three episode OVA series set in the Bubblegum Crisis universe. Some violence and sexuality though, so be warned. But a really great story and a bad-ass soundtrack.

So I've been looking around for some anime to watch and I realized I haven't watched Angel Beats! I'm Gonna start watching Angel Beats and Accel World, should I watch them in dubbed or subbed?

Subbed. Always subbed. I can't think of any anime I'd rather watch dubbed than subbed. Most animes it seems like the englis VA's can never inflect enough emotion or they just straight up don't fit the character. Except maybe Black Lagoon. The dub of that was pretty good.

• Brohoof 1

Subbed. Always subbed. I can't think of any anime I'd rather watch dubbed than subbed. Most animes it seems like the englis VA's can never inflect enough emotion or they just straight up don't fit the character. Except maybe Black Lagoon. The dub of that was pretty good.

I think the English dub of Cowboy Bebop was very well done. It's one of the few examples I can think of where I would rather watch the dub than the sub. In most cases, I like to stick with the original Japanese sound.

(edited)

@@Toa of Ponies,

What stryker just said. You gain a whole lot more by watching the orginial in most cases. So if you've no problem with the japanese language, i say go for it.

Edited by Jonke

I searched this up, but I couldn't find a topic. If there is one, I apologize.

So guys, I was wondering, what's your favourite anime shows? I'm a big fan of Ouran Highschool Host Club, and Fairy Tale isn't bad either. Lucky Star is pretty funny as well, IMO.

So, what are your favourites, and why?

Three words. Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I love symbolism and deep characters. NGE has both. That is enough for me. And it is not too long. The original 26 episodes were already enough. But End of Evangelion is good as well. I am one of the few who have absolutely no problem with the ending of the series. It coped without action.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I have several ones, but most of them are school slice of life anime, I find them to be hilarious. My all time favorite would have to be Yuru Yuri, it's just to dam funny

Minami-Ke and Hyakko are also favorites of mine. I guess Angel Beats would kind of fit into this category, I really liked that anime as well (even though it ended after epsiode 10 sad.png)

Also, Madoka Magica is an epic anime, so many feels ;_;

But I have a long list of anime that I want to see, so my opinion will probably change at some point

Edited by Chiaki Minami
  • Brohoof 2

Princess Tutu is my favorite anime (it's actually my favorite animated series). I just find the concept of the show to be extremely imaginative. As a writer, I love the idea of characters from a story mixing with reality, not to mention the antagonistic author sitting back and messing with the characters to create a better story. The plot is engaging and the characters are wonderful. I love the use of fairy tales in the show. Plus, it's super adorable, I'm talking MLP level adorable. :P

I have several:

Soul Eater - My personal favorite. I love the characters like Death The Kid, Maka, and Soul Eater Evans. I enjoy the humor in it and the English voice acting is good. I can't stand watching it in japanese...Kid's and Maka's voice in japanese.. *shudder*. 

Death Note - Love the characters like Near, Mello, Matt, L and Ryuk. The anime has a more serious tone that I enjoy. Plus it seems well thought out. English voice acting is great as well.

Ouran High School Host Club - I love Tamaki and the twins. I always seem to laugh at the episodes, the humor is great. I watched it several times already and I can still watch it without getting sick of it. I love their English voice acting.

Black Butler - I adore the characters, especially Ciel, Grell and Sebastian. Plus, it can bounce back and forth from a serious theme to a humorous. Also, the English voice acting is amazing.

-If you couldn't tell, I despise japanese subtitles. I think they're annoying as hell, and oh god the voices.

Three words. Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I love symbolism and deep characters. NGE has both. That is enough for me. And it is not too long. The original 26 episodes were already enough. But End of Evangelion is good as well. I am one of the few who have absolutely no problem with the ending of the series. It coped without action.

Saw this, felt pleased.

The rebuild series for NGE has also held up, big fan of it, but i have a bunch of friends who don't like 3.33

Other than NGE,  Elfen lied, Angel Beats, Full metal alchemist, King of Thorn, Code geass are some other favourites of mine.

Overall top favorite: Cowboy Bebop. I love the animation which deviates from the typical anime character designs, the music is a great jazz and fusion with other genres, and the overall storyline and setting are elaborate yet simple. It helps also that I'm a big fan of futuristic themes. Shinchirō Watanabe is a genius at what he does. The series is sadly short, making you hunger for more, but it makes the story and plot crisp and concise like a haikou. His other work Samurai Champloo has similar themes but takes place in a more feudal era and with hip hop and rap music.

In terms of action shows particularly with giant robots, Gundam Wing gets a special nod.

Soul Eater, which I am currently watching on Adult Swim and finished watching in dub online is an exceptionally good series. I was skeptical about it at first, but it has solid characters and manages to combine humor and action without derailing itself from good character and plot development.

The Big O gets a special nod here too, as it has an exceptionally unique plot and is indeed a very philosophical and deep show. I won't spoil anymore of the show to you guys.

• Brohoof 1

So. What are some of your guys favorite animes, new and old.

My all time favorite is Cowboy Bebop (mmf) but some other faves include FLCL, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Steins;Gate, Fate/zero, Black Lagoon, Shingeki no Kyojin (SO HYPE), K-ON!, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and Bakemonogatari.

Converse among yourselves, give recommendations, talk about movies, hell, talk about your favorite hentais, just have fun and behave yourselves img-1484057-1-wink.png

Your thread, Favorite Animes, has been merged with this one since they served the same purpose. Just letting you know. And please don't discuss hentai as that's not really appropriate.

I searched this up, but I couldn't find a topic. If there is one, I apologize.

If your search was confined to General Discussion, that may be why you didn't find anything. Threads like this belong in Media Discussion. Running a search over there or on the forum as a whole would yield some results. I merged your thread with one that I found.

No problem though. Thanks for making the effort, it's appreciated.

• Brohoof 2

I have several ones, but most of them are school slice of life anime, I find them to be hilarious. My all time favorite would have to be Yuru Yuri, it's just to dam funny

YESSS

post-2597-0-07504700-1368055947.gif

Yuru Yuri is so funny. Fuck character development, I'll just watch cute girls doing cute things.

Speaking of which, I started Squid Girl today (forgot the japanese name). It seems pretty good so far.

YESSS

Yuru Yuri is so funny. Fuck character development, I'll just watch cute girls doing cute things.

Speaking of which, I started Squid Girl today (forgot the japanese name). It seems pretty good so far.

You should check Hyakko in that case. There's no main story there, just cute girls doing cute things :3

The artstyle is very different from say Yuru Yuri, and the last few episodes were boring as all hell, but it was a hilarious anime overall. 

I've been planning on watching Squid Girl for quite some time, I don't have the time to do so though ;_;

-If you couldn't tell, I despise japanese subtitles. I think they're annoying as hell, and oh god the voices.

Ohgodwhy.jpg

maximum_over_rustle-23825.gif

The only English dubbed anime series I could stand were Black Lagoon and Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan. Subs are master race.

• Brohoof 3

Ohgodwhy.jpg

maximum_over_rustle-23825.gif

The only English dubbed anime series I could stand were Black Lagoon and Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan. Subs are master race.

I just think they sound god-awful. It's not a matter of actually reading the subtitles, I'm fine with that. It's just the awful voice acting. Always high pitched or low pitched for female and male.

Well then it's about time that I've posted here, so I think that I'll just start this off with these two lists I've made:

Favorite Animes/Ones that I'm still watching

Jewelpet

FLCL

Attack on Titan

Gurren Lagann

Ones that I plan on watching:

Madoka Magica

Yuru Yuri

K-On

And please don't discuss hentai as that's not really appropriate.

jhpW0c5.gif

I just think they sound god-awful. It's not a matter of actually reading the subtitles, I'm fine with that. It's just the awful voice acting. Always high pitched or low pitched for female and male.

post-2597-0-82181000-1370730454_thumb.png

but that's what english VAs are like too most. At least there's emotion in japanese VA. Every english VA, it sounds like they're doing it to entertain babies.

please kill me it hurts to live

• Brohoof 2

Ones that I plan on watching:

Madoka Magica

Yuru Yuri

K-On

You should add Angel Beats and Minami-Ke to that list. Both of them are really great anime in my opinion, especially the latter ;)

Your thread, Favorite Animes, has been merged with this one since they served the same purpose. Just letting you know. And please don't discuss hentai as that's not really appropriate.

If your search was confined to General Discussion, that may be why you didn't find anything. Threads like this belong in Media Discussion. Running a search over there or on the forum as a whole would yield some results. I merged your thread with one that I found.

No problem though. Thanks for making the effort, it's appreciated.

No problems here. And the hentai thing was a joke, though looking back on it, it might not have been in the best or most appropriate taste ._.''

YESSS

I second this~ It definitely has a ton of great and cute moments. <3

Not watching a whole lot at the moment, but i've a few i'm slowly going through.

Attack on Titan

Jewelpet (~<3)

Steins;Gate

K-On

Plan to watch?

I guess i've to find suggestions found here. :)