Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony and autistic characters. Target Audience reaction?

ManaMinori

So apparently, Sesame Street is soon getting an autistic character, named Julia. https://www.mail.com/entertainment/movie/5049590-muppet-with-autism-to-welcomed-sesame-street.html#.7518-stage-ss1-1

My question to the fandom - who, contrary to popular belief, is NOT the target audience of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is: if Sesame Street- a show for a much younger audience than MLP is meant for, can pull off bringing in an autistic character who kids can feel like they relate to, can FiM do so, also? (Seems interesting enough that the non targeted auduence of Bronies so desperately try to look for signs of autism in the mane 6). But how would Bronies think the actual target audience and parents would react to the introduction of such a character?

I'm iffy on it only because it may need a lot of direct exposition similar to how Sesame Street addresses sensitive topics. I expect a segment specifically geared to explaining Autism to be shown on Sesame Street and I'm not sure that fits on MLP. From a writing stand point ... it's a challenge to do it just within the narrative. I worry that it would come across as stereotypical. A condition with such a wide range of traits makes it hard to portray.

• Brohoof 3

The concept may be too complex to work into the framework of what is mostly a light hearted show. As Jeric said above, Autism has so many varying traits. It would be difficult to find a way to portray the condition without offending people. I speak from some experience. I know someone with an autistic son. I also know a forty-six year old man who is autistic. My friend's son communicates quite well and can talk your ear off. The man, while very sweet, hardly can speak at all. He is smart though, and finds ways to pantomime what he wants to communicate to you.

• Brohoof 2

Hasbro has a tendency to want to avoid subjects like this because they don't want to be plagued with potential lawsuits or any similar actions from parents. Remember what happened with Derpy? That's the kind of thing the company doesn't want to have to deal with so they choose not to include it.

• Brohoof 3

In principle it would depend on whether they are introducing a character that happens to be autistic, or if they are introducing an autistic character.  Those two may seem very similar but the difference is profound.

In practicality however, I can't really see it happening, no matter how well it is executed Hasbro will draw fire from one or another of the perpetually offended groups.  The character will either be normalising or trivialising the condition, or will be criticised for inaccurate representation or something else of that nature.  Far better to just leave it well alone.

• Brohoof 3

But how would Bronies think the actual target audience and parents would react to the introduction of such a character? Brohoof This Under the Jellicle Moon- a site with cuten

Isn't Maud autistic?

At least she seems to show symptoms of asperger's (more than anyone else).

Edited by Aya. K.

I'm iffy on it only because it may need a lot of direct exposition similar to how Sesame Street addresses sensitive topics. I expect a segment specifically geared to explaining Autism to be shown on Sesame Street and I'm not sure that fits on MLP. From a writing stand point ... it's a challenge to do it just within the narrative. I worry that it would come across as stereotypical. A condition with such a wide range of traits makes it hard to portray.

I agree lets hope they don't pull every stereotype out of their asses

I agree lets hope they don't pull every stereotype out of their asses

I would have to agree with that. We haven't even made a reference to glue in the pony universe let alone anyone breaking a leg (actively) 

I don't think we're ready for this archetype..it begins to open alot of questions on genetics vs enviroment that become messy if not treated properly

Though..if properly thought out...Lt. Broccoli on star trek was well loved. 

• Brohoof 1

I've met quite a few Autistic people both online and irl. I don't keep ties because I usually meet said people at cons and we hang out. Overall my impression is that autistic people are just normal people with social problems and such, real nice, just awkward. To answer your question I don't think parents or whomever watches with their kid will mind. Sesame Street has a tradition of bringing in people of different groups and positions. With Autism being a rather common condition it makes sense to introduce a character for this. Looking with a quick google search I can see that 1 in 68 children are diagnosed somewhere on the spectrum. That means that a child can learn early on about what challenges autistic people face, kinda how all kids learn about the wheelchair kid or crutchy.

TL;DR This is neato of them to do and I think people will react positively.

Edit: I see some people showing concern that the show may use stereotypes or something. I'm genuinely interested in how Sesame Street intends to present such a character. Could be good, could be bad. I think theyre just gonna take some of the more general traits? Idk, I'm not an expert on autism... :adorkable:

Edited by QuantumPony

I would have to agree with that. We haven't even made a reference to glue in the pony universe let alone anyone breaking a leg (actively) 

I don't think we're ready for this archetype..it begins to open alot of questions on genetics vs enviroment that become messy if not treated properly

Though..if properly thought out...Lt. Broccoli on star trek was well loved. 

I know right I said what I said because im autistic myself I would hate to see it be a stereotype of autism I really think we aren't ready for this plus there multiple different diagnoses on the spectrum

• Brohoof 3

I know right I said what I said because im autistic myself I would hate to see it be a stereotype of autism I really think we aren't ready for this plus there multiple different diagnoses on the spectrum

Exactly. It would have to be done right and examined 8ned from all angles so not to offend anyone in anyway. It's very touchy in this day and age still. 

Exactly. It would have to be done right and examined 8ned from all angles so not to offend anyone in anyway. It's very touchy in this day and age still. 

my point exactly if you're gonna do a touchy subject like autism bipolar whatever you need to handle with care like a fragile package you drop it it breaks no one's happy that's why I say do research not on tumbler real research to get a better idea of what youre talking bout

I've met quite a few Autistic people both online and irl. I don't keep ties because I usually meet said people at cons and we hang out. Overall my impression is that autistic people are just normal people with social problems and such, real nice, just awkward. To answer your question I don't think parents or whomever watches with their kid will mind. Sesame Street has a tradition of bringing in people of different groups and positions. With Autism being a rather common condition it makes sense to introduce a character for this. Looking with a quick google search I can see that 1 in 68 children are diagnosed somewhere on the spectrum. That means that a child can learn early on about what challenges autistic people face, kinda how all kids learn about the wheelchair kid or crutchy.

TL;DR This is neato of them to do and I think people will react positively.

Edit: I see some people showing concern that the show may use stereotypes or something. I'm genuinely interested in how Sesame Street intends to present such a character. Could be good, could be bad. I think theyre just gonna take some of the more general traits? Idk, I'm not an expert on autism... :adorkable:

I full on agree im no expert on the subject either but knowing soccer moms would have a meltdown and bringing religion into it so on so forth 

Edited by Nightshroud