Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Default wallpaper sizes.

Prince Lightning Da Cute

there is no strict rules for how large a wallpaper should be. but some of the more common sizes are 1600x1200, 1920x1080 1280x720, 1440x900 and the list goes on...

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe so, TagTeamCast. A lot of people have Widescreen monitors, but some are like a square shape. Widescreen wallpapers obviously don't work on squares. I would suggest making 2 wallpapers for each design (For Example: One with 1920x1080px and another with 1080x1080px.

Really, you don't encounter a desktop monitor larger than 27 inches diagonally. The pixel specifications for those screens are 1920x1080, which is what you should work with if you're making WALLPAPER. It may be different for other types of GFX.

(edited)

Aside from special screen variations like wide vs square, 1920x1080 should by the size you make if your looking to make only one size. Wallpapers do not enlarge well, but shrink just fine.

Edited by Bohtty
  • Brohoof 1

Aside from special screen variations like wide vs square, 1920x1080 should by the size you make if your looking to make only one size. Wallpapers do not enlarge well, but shrink just fine.

What they said ^^ Too big is better than too small cause it's easier for people to shrink thier wallpapers to fit them accordingly (without pixelation) than to make it bigger without pixelation. I'm 1920X1080 and I get disappointed at when something is 1280x720 or smaller.

1080x1080px.

That's not even a real screen resolution xD. Even though they are called square monitors, they aren't actually square in their dimensions.

I've gotten into wallpaper making but I constantly mess up the dimensions. I know that they differ but is there a one size fits all? A wallpaper size that works for most of not all desktops?

2560x1440 is safest - some people do have monitors that large (the 27" iMac is one popular example). If that's too big, you can do those of using using a 16:10 monitor (like me) a huge favour by at least making a 1920x1200 wallpaper instead of 1920x1080. The extra 120 vertical pixels will look much better than empty space, and chopping them off on a 1920x1080 screen isn't going to be noticeable.

• Brohoof 2