Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic

Discordian

Well considering that a number of loops currently exist it's kind of hard to give an honest answer, but if we try to discount that then I might say Rarity for hit count and Applejack for sheer damage.

In terms of combos:

Applejack: pure damage. Possible lasso resets can be set up.

Twilight: medium damage, but can easily end in a frame advantage by utilizing 2 ground bounces in a combo. Deadly pressure if you can get the string of resets going.

Pinkie Pie: combos don't end in resets much and her combos in general is very short. Pinkie's combo is not one of her strong points.

Rarity: has flashy combos but stupid hard to pull off due to too many variables.

I have been curious on one topic. To those who have played the game, if you could answer, who is the best pony who maintains combos? It's kind of a wonder to me, since I saw that all of the ponies can hold a good combo after a while (even though the main pwnage of combos has probabl come from Applejack from what I hear?)

Quote by dev team. "Pinkie is very combocentric". I've seen other characters pull off wicked combos though.

Twilight just less so. Also, be aware that there's damage scaling. The longer a combo goes on, the less damage each hit does.

Quote by dev team. "Pinkie is very combocentric". I've seen other characters pull off wicked combos though.

Twilight just less so. Also, be aware that there's damage scaling. The longer a combo goes on, the less damage each hit does.

Oh, I knew that. It's just that, I have heard million times that Pinkie is the combo-centric chracter, but it seems that the best comboer out there is Applejack. But since now people can actually play the game (whether that may be good or bad, given the circumstances), I was just wondering. Also, I thought Twilight was good at combos, with her launcher/jump strong hit combo that bounces off, and back again. I'm not intending to play the game until actually releaserd, but, you know, to start getting an idea. Would you say that Pinkie is the best for combos, but Applejack can pull them off easier, Rarity does tactical, keep-away combos, and Twilight is more all around?

In terms of combos:

Applejack: pure damage. Possible lasso resets can be set up.

Twilight: medium damage, but can easily end in a frame advantage by utilizing 2 ground bounces in a combo. Deadly pressure if you can get the string of resets going.

Pinkie Pie: combos don't end in resets much and her combos in general is very short. Pinkie's combo is not one of her strong points.

Rarity: has flashy combos but stupid hard to pull off due to too many variables.

Hmmm...but isn't Pinkie's cartwheel an excellent attack to reset a combo, and isn't she pretty much one of the most easy to end in a super, given her Level 1 air super? Again, this is from what I've seen so far, after the EVO build and all that.

Well considering that a number of loops currently exist it's kind of hard to give an honest answer, but if we try to discount that then I might say Rarity for hit count and Applejack for sheer damage.

By loops you mean Rarity's infamous scarf attack in the air, and the fact that Applejack's lasso, if used well enough, can pretty much spell doom for you, right?

Basically, yeah.

And despite what the dev team says, I'm not seeing a whole lot of combo potential for Pinkie compared to the others. Granted, she's not finished yet so maybe they meant she'd be very combocentric in the final game, but right now? Not so much.

i'm not interested in any other character than Rarity and I can't combo the way I want with her, all her aerials and normals makes the opponent flash blue really fast, she doesn't have any single attack that makes them flash red, so her attacks are easily techable ...i'm extremely dissapointed with this game and I would like the developers to change that, I know that this is not going to happen so I think i'm not gonna play it as much as I said I would

i'm not interested in any other character than Rarity and I can't combo the way I want with her, all her aerials and normals makes the opponent flash blue really fast, she doesn't have any single attack that makes them flash red, so her attacks are easily techable ...i'm extremely dissapointed with this game and I would like the developers to change that, I know that this is not going to happen so I think i'm not gonna play it as much as I said I would

Well...Rarity is not so much as a combo character, rather a keep away character. Your main point would be to use the gems that come from the ground to tactically start a combo from afar, and enjoy your planning of the combo from there (even though her strong ground attack and her jumping strong attack along with her launcher DO have a lot of combo potential, if well used), but then again, all that takes practice, and I haven't even played the game. Besides, the game isn't finished yet, nor are the characters. And if what the dev team said about 70% of the game being placeholder so far, then there's a lot we can expect.

Well...Rarity is not so much as a combo character, rather a keep away character. Your main point would be to use the gems that come from the ground to tactically start a combo from afar, and enjoy your planning of the combo from there (even though her strong ground attack and her jumping strong attack along with her launcher DO have a lot of combo potential, if well used), but then again, all that takes practice, and I haven't even played the game. Besides, the game isn't finished yet, nor are the characters. And if what the dev team said about 70% of the game being placeholder so far, then there's a lot we can expect.

you are wrong, Rarity has a lot of combo potential, you can be a keep away if you want, but once you "caught" your opponent you can do really long combos with her, but they end up being techable, so if the opponent doesn't do anything she can continue her combo without any problem

I think its great! The gameplay is starting to look even better. Kind of reminds me of Skull Girls. I cant wait for this game to come out and I Love fighting games. Fighting games plus ponies what more could you ask for?!? Get Hype!!!

Add me on PSN VChronosV23 I play street fighter and other kinds of fighting games.

you are wrong, Rarity has a lot of combo potential, you can be a keep away if you want, but once you "caught" your opponent you can do really long combos with her, but they end up being techable, so if the opponent doesn't do anything she can continue her combo without any problem

Yeah, I guess I forgot about those badass combos I have seen from her. But you know, her combos causing a teching window should probably not come as a surprise. After all, we wouldn't expect Rarity to have the stronger hits like Applejack, so maybe it's the sense of the character itself, rather than anything else. Until Mane6 can totally clarify that, I'm not sure.

Yeah, I guess I forgot about those badass combos I have seen from her. But you know, her combos causing a teching window should probably not come as a surprise. After all, we wouldn't expect Rarity to have the stronger hits like Applejack, so maybe it's the sense of the character itself, rather than anything else. Until Mane6 can totally clarify that, I'm not sure.

now that you mention Applejack, (who is the heavier hitter in the game, and it makes complete sense) I was playing with a really good Applejack the other day (but like really REALLY good), and when this guy was kicking my ass with long Applejack combos, I've noticed that the techable times of Applejack are really, like almost non-existent compared to Rarity's. I've never be able to tech out of anything because it was really short, I mean Rarity makes you flash blue for a really long period of time and Applejack is like 10 times faster than that, besides her wall bounces makes you flash red (which is untechable). I've noticed that Applejack is really overpowered and that the game is not balanced at all, they unbalanced the game by "balancing" it

now that you mention Applejack, (who is the heavier hitter in the game, and it makes complete sense) I was playing with a really good Applejack the other day (but like really REALLY good), and when this guy was kicking my ass with long Applejack combos, I've noticed that the techable times of Applejack are really, like almost non-existent compared to Rarity's. I've never be able to tech out of anything because it was really short, I mean Rarity makes you flash blue for a really long period of time and Applejack is like 10 times faster than that, besides her wall bounces makes you flash red (which is untechable). I've noticed that Applejack is really overpowered and that the game is not balanced at all, they unbalanced the game by "balancing" it

Yeah, that's one of the things Mane6 noticed with the EVO builds so far. I'm sure she will be powered down a bit, but don't expect it to get easier. AS far as I can tell, AJ is is probably one of the most easiest characters to use (after all, rushdown characters are always good for begginers, I should count in that group at least, I haven't played THAT many fighting games), so it's of no surprise.

My guess, is to try and find the most annoying thing for her, as with everybody else. Rarity for example is both good and bad against Applejack. She is good because she can keep Applejack far away from her, and since AJ is all beating down and close range (even with the lasso) that could be good (plus the fact she can actually combo from afar). The bad thing is that once someone gets really close, she doesn't have that many escape routes (in which case, Twilight and Pinkie would probably be best). The teching windom is one damning thing for now in the sense that is not easy to calculate it, but I'm sure they'll try their best keep both, in character with the strengths of each (Applejack possibly having best untechable combos), and with the factors of playing the game. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm guessing that they plan on changing Pinkie in the final game cause I don't see her being extreme with the combos. She just doesn't feel it to me, though, I'm probably just playing her wrong since fighters are not my main genre.

Yeah, that's one of the things Mane6 noticed with the EVO builds so far. I'm sure she will be powered down a bit, but don't expect it to get easier. AS far as I can tell, AJ is is probably one of the most easiest characters to use (after all, rushdown characters are always good for begginers, I should count in that group at least, I haven't played THAT many fighting games), so it's of no surprise.

My guess, is to try and find the most annoying thing for her, as with everybody else. Rarity for example is both good and bad against Applejack. She is good because she can keep Applejack far away from her, and since AJ is all beating down and close range (even with the lasso) that could be good (plus the fact she can actually combo from afar). The bad thing is that once someone gets really close, she doesn't have that many escape routes (in which case, Twilight and Pinkie would probably be best). The teching windom is one damning thing for now in the sense that is not easy to calculate it, but I'm sure they'll try their best keep both, in character with the strengths of each (Applejack possibly having best untechable combos), and with the factors of playing the game. Wouldn't you agree?

sort of, Applejack combos are really damaging and hardly techable, but I mean, the techable times of Rarity are too much if I say...they already implemented a maximum of 2 launchers which is good, they also have a system than when you hit in the corner you will be pushed back, but you won't if you hit in the air (fail), the tech system is good and bad at the same time, is good because it prevents ground infinites but it's bad because it can fuck up really good combos potentials, I don't know if they can put a system like the hitstun scaling like UMVC3 has, but that tech system seems a bit off to me

I'm guessing that they plan on changing Pinkie in the final game cause I don't see her being extreme with the combos. She just doesn't feel it to me, though, I'm probably just playing her wrong since fighters are not my main genre.

Pinkie is a charge character so she's a bit tricky, she do better in the ground, but guess what, she's highly techable as Rarity so she's fucked up too

sort of, Applejack combos are really damaging and hardly techable, but I mean, the techable times of Rarity are too much if I say...they already implemented a maximum of 2 launchers which is good, they also have a system than when you hit in the corner you will be pushed back, but you won't if you hit in the air (fail), the tech system is good and bad at the same time, is good because it prevents ground infinites but it's bad because it can fuck up really good combos potentials, I don't know if they can put a system like the hitstun scaling like UMVC3 has, but that tech system seems a bit off to me

Pinkie is a charge character so she's a bit tricky, she do better in the ground, but guess what, she's highly techable as Rarity so she's fucked up too

Like I said, the tech system is a bit tricky to calculate, because of how hard it is to consider all the characters, their strengths and weaknesses, and also get the timing right. But this is why this is not the finished game. At least, even though the leak was unexpected, they CAN see things are now and get different opinions. They may not support it, and it's the right thing, it was awful it happened to them, but good opinions can come from the leak. If I had to agree on one unfinished subject, it'd be the teching thing. It's a matter of waiting really. Also, if you've ever played or heard of a game called "The Rumble Fish", you should check it out. The systems are obviously different, but there is a teching system there that can compare to this one. Although, I can imagine you HAVE played games with teching before. But on any case, I think that what they need to finish on each character would be the correct timing on the techings. Especially on Rarity and Applejack, who are the most easy to use, and most tactical to use, respectively (there isn't a wonder why not many people have used Rarity, as far as I could tell).

yea, ive started trying to plan combos on the ground rather than launching in the air. Or atleast not as often, not to start it off, without as many launchers in it.

Meh, techable or not I'll stick with her.

Dear MLPForums. Today, I got challenged by Cygrade and not the other way around.

That was not the only thing that had changed. I actually beat him a few times! As per my "first to 5 policy" I left once the results were 2-5 to his favor. That still is progress, since at the end of my 1st day facing him, I was simply destroyed out of my mind.

Anyhoof, taking EU challenges still.

PS: We're talking about Pinkie Pie VS Twilight Sparkle matchup here...

Edited by Ouker

Would anyone care to share some of their better replays for the sake of sharing strategies? If youtube is too difficult to use with that file (I wouldn't know since I've never uploaded anything) than a cyberlocker works just as well for anyone with the game.

Would anyone care to share some of their better replays for the sake of sharing strategies? If youtube is too difficult to use with that file (I wouldn't know since I've never uploaded anything) than a cyberlocker works just as well for anyone with the game.

Watch Cygrade's stream when it is up. One pony actually put up a replay of me and him on youtube, throwing included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLV6cFadbpw

Btw, I am not that bad anymore XD

I'm still trying to iron out some good AJ BnBs right now. I do alright with her as is, but I feel like she's doing weak unicorn damage when she should be doing REAL EARTH PONY DAMAGE.

Are you kidding me? Check that video I linked for your amusement, because in there, you see her sometimes comboing me for 50% of my health. WITHOUT HER SUPER.

I'll see if I can get a few more up. Specifically, one Twilight mirror where both of us are actually good enough not to just Spark all day, and I think I have a Rarity mirror in here somewhere. Let me review my replays.

The Twilight one looks extremely boring like WHOA seriously it's like, mindgames to the point that it's boring to watch hahahaha

Too sleepy to record them now, I'll probably do that tomorrow

Oh god I'm sorry I'm so sorry

I know I'm a Twilight main but I just HAD TO

I JUST HAD TO

(oh and backwards teleport all day too)

Posted Image

Oh and btw have a vid @@Mister Jack

http-~~-//youtu.be/6rcv5HbROCg

Edited by Zekira G. Drake

• 2 weeks later...

So me and a group of other players made this [dp] Group now.

How to describe [dp] ? Basically, if you manage to beat any of us, chances are you are good.