Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What makes Equestria Girls appealing to older fans?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

"Equestria Girls" is a series of cartoon movies involving the winged unicorn Twilight Sparkle crossing into another universe to get her crown back from a thief. In the other universe, all the people are cartoonish humanoids whose skin, hair, and eyes have unusual colours. Apparently they were produced as a way to compete against Mattel's Monster High dolls.

I sometimes wonder what kinds of things would be appealing to draw new fans to enjoy those movies. Would it be:

• them resembling (and being other forms of) the characters of the original pony show?
  • their bizarre and beautiful colours?
  • their personalities and actions?

I can't speak for others but what I enjoy about the EQG series is a lot of what I enjoy about FIM.

Such as the character interactions between the main cast, element of fantasy, and catchy musical numbers.

I also really enjoy seeing how a world without magic, gradually got introduced to more and more of it as the series progressed, to the point where it might be developing it's own form of magic, with the series taking a more magical girl direction than FIM, allowing it to stand out.

Plus Sunset Shimmer is a character that I am really invested in, and is one of my all time favorite FIM characters.

And most importantly, I just find the movies to be fun to watch.

• Brohoof 2

In a few ways, the storytelling is a little more mature, and includes lessons and morals told in a way that may feel out of place in FiM, but work in the EQG context, in a way that older members of the target audience can relate too. 

I personally think that the movies are just "okay". The reason why I still continue watching them  are mainly the characters, especially Sunset Shimmer.

While Equestria Girls does rely on the standard high school tropes that have practically been done to death through other media forms, I like how the different characters interact with one another and coming to terms with powers that normally wouldn't exist in their world. Sunset is also a character a lot of people can relate to since they themselves might feel isolated by their peers, being mistreated, being empathetic towards the feelings of others, and wanting to make amends for the bad that they might have done.

• Brohoof 1