Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler mirror magic EQG short

ManaMinori

so apparently the sypnosis for this short Sunset returning to Equestria- and rather than making up with her former mentor, and struggling to stay  there or return to her friend, she meets up with Starlight and brings her back to the human world. ugh. Ugh. UGH!!!

shoehorning. Just- why? why the hell does Starlight need to be in this at all?

how does everyone else feel about this?

• Brohoof 2

you might call it shoehorning. Everyone else calls it shipping fuel :lol:

1389727__safe_artist-colon-joakaha_starl

• Brohoof 6

I am pretty excited to see this short, I think it will be awesome to see sunset return to equestria and see starlight experience the equestria girls world

I would've liked for Sunny to make amends with Celly, but I'm not against for pony Starlight going to the human world. It's been a while since we last had a pony crossing the mirror after all :lol: 

When Tvtropes's page for Cutie Re-Mark pointed out how Starlight is a counterpart comparison to Sunset, it basically joked, "Starlight, meet Sunset"

And now, it's going to be for real!

How hilarious in highsight!

• Brohoof 2

Many bothons died to bring us this information... Starlight Glimmer Sunset Shimmer. Two M's plus 1 short = 3. HL3 Confirmed.

It'll be okay.

4 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

you might call it shoehorning. Everyone else calls it shipping fuel :lol:

a far better sypnosis for "mirror magic" would be As the pages in her journal run out, there's only one thing for Sunset Shimmer to do; return to Equestria to get a new journal! There, she reunites with her former mentor, who is entertained with stories of Sunset's victories and accomplishmants in the human world. However, Celestia longs for her to stay permanently in Equestria under the tutelage of Luna, and once again be close to her. But while Sunset Shimmer fights to stay and leave her friends, or stay re-connect with her mentor, a revenge-seeking Juniper Montage finds a beautiful hand mirror enchanted with Equestrian magic. With this accessory able to provide a window into another land, can Sunset afford to leave all that she loves behind? "

see. No Starlight arbitrarily thrown in, and still an emotional reunion with Sunsetlestia and threats to draw SS back.

4 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

a far better sypnosis for "mirror magic" would be As the pages in her journal run out, there's only one thing for Sunset Shimmer to do; return to Equestria to get a new journal! There, she reunites with her former mentor, who is entertained with stories of Sunset's victories and accomplishmants in the human world. However, Celestia longs for her to stay permanently in Equestria under the tutelage of Luna, and once again be close to her. But while Sunset Shimmer fights to stay and leave her friends, or stay re-connect with her mentor, a revenge-seeking Juniper Montage finds a beautiful hand mirror enchanted with Equestrian magic. With this accessory able to provide a window into another land, can Sunset afford to leave all that she loves behind? "

see. No Starlight arbitrarily thrown in, and still an emotional reunion with Sunsetlestia and threats to draw SS back.

Nah, i think the shipping episode is better. :P

1418586__safe_artist-colon-jase1505_star

• Brohoof 2

Personally I'm just looking forward to seeing Starlight Glimmer in this same position, that will make it all worth it for me:

Spoiler

323434__safe_screencap_spike_twilight+sp

And if they include the hyperventilation I'll give it a 10/10.

• Brohoof 1

While I am interested in seeing Sunset finally return to Equestria, I am a bit disappointed that we might not get anymore SunLight interaction, as well as possibly not getting a reconciliation between Sunset and Celestia, that fans have been wanting to see for quite a while now.

However I could see a friendship between Sunset and Starlight working at as a kinda mentor student relationship, like what we get with Sunset and Sci Twi.

On 5/5/2017 at 9:20 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

so apparently the sypnosis for this short Sunset returning to Equestria- and rather than making up with her former mentor, and struggling to stay  there or return to her friend, she meets up with Starlight and brings her back to the human world. ugh. Ugh. UGH!!!

shoehorning. Just- why? why the hell does Starlight need to be in this at all?

how does everyone else feel about this?

I hate it, and am thoroughly upset about it.
I also agree that its a crappy waste of potential for sunset returning to equestria. There are a MILLION better plots than this one. But gotta keep that glimmer train chugging without breaks I guess or else the staff will have a tizzy.

I think it's a perfect opportunity for Sunset and Starlight to finally meet one another, and for the latter to learn something about Twilight's adventures that she has to find out about, that being the human world. Now, I am aware that Sunset reconciling with Celestia is still something fans wish to see happen, but a special like this wouldn't have worked given the premise and the time constraints as opposed to the Equestria Girls movies. They could fit in a reconciliation scene thought the chances of that are slim since there is already so much content to begin with.

I've been waiting for Sunset to return to Equestria in some capacity, and this fits the bill well enough for me. While MAYBE having her make amends with Celestia would've been a better plot, I have no problem like this, and with Starlight being the star of S7 for me, this is an idea that has plenty of potential to it! Honestly; I'm downright excited! :)

• Brohoof 2

I for one hope that, as this short seems to be the mane feature, it ends up having more of the runtime allocated to it as it sounds like it's trying to do too much in a short amount of time.  I'm iffy about the whole Sunset meets Starlight aspect, but I'm also intrigued.  I mean, it's something that has crossed everyone's minds.  We just didn't expect it would ever actually happen.  

I think the writers at DHX ought to figure out where they want to take Starlight as a character.  I mean, at first it seemed like she was going to be a Sunset 2.0, and I'm glad she's been steered away from that, though this short may not help much in that regard.  Lately she seems to be treading awfully close to becoming a Twilight 2.0 while Twilight is becoming a Celestia 2.0.  I'm kind of hoping she doesn't end up falling into either pitfall in the long run, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Has anyone else picked up that an old plot point has actually been resurrected?  I always figured Sunset's journal went the way of the Mane Six journal from the show after FG, which is to say that it was quietly retired and never seen or mentioned again.  Heck this short is even going to acknowledge a real world problem that would normally be swept under the rug by movie logic, which is that journals fill up and eventually have to be replaced every so often, no matter how big they happen to be.  I also didn't expect there would ever be any further acknowledgment that Twilight has that mirror still and both she and Sunset can travel back and forth anytime they wish.  Regardless, I hope Sunset and Starlight hit it off and have good chemistry together.

I have a feeling Shimms isn't even going to get to meet her mentor. The mirror is in Twilight's castle, Shimms has been writing to Twilight, and wheh she gets there, she'll run into  Stinklight, and bring her back to the human world. No time for princess Celestia in 22 minutes if everything takes place in the castle of friendship

stupid inclusion of Stinklight is stupid

On 5/11/2017 at 5:13 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

I have a feeling Shimms isn't even going to get to meet her mentor. The mirror is in Twilight's castle, Shimms has been writing to Twilight, and wheh she gets there, she'll run into  Stinklight, and bring her back to the human world. No time for princess Celestia in 22 minutes if everything takes place in the castle of friendship

stupid inclusion of Stinklight is stupid

yeah, given that its a single short and not a full movie, its most probably going to be a quick "Hey, I'm in equestria now! I got the pages! Hey, I met starlight! Okay, leaving now, no interaction with any of the mane six or celestia!" thing that takes up about 5 minutes before going back to the human world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2017 at 6:11 PM, Unlikeable Pony said:

yeah, given that its a single short and not a full movie, its most probably going to be a quick "Hey, I'm in equestria now! I got the pages! Hey, I met starlight! Okay, leaving now, no interaction with any of the mane six or celestia!" thing that takes up about 5 minutes before going back to the human world.

Sadly, that's pretty much true with this last short. The other two were perfectly fine with the half an hour run, but I feel this one suffered from it's short length 

(edited)

I agree with Steve Piranha -- I enjoyed Dance and Movie... just not this one.

Once again, everyone else was Worfed so Starlight could save the day.

Also, Juniper's my new pick for worst villain (not just in EQG, but in G4 overall), for reasons I'll list later.

P.S.: Not a Starlight-hater (in fact, I loved her Human design).

Edited by A.V.

1 minute ago, A.V. said:

Hide contents

I agree with Steve Piranha: I enjoyed Dance and Movie... just not this one.

Once again, everyone else was Worfed so Starlight could save the day.

Also, Juniper's now my new pick for worst villain (in not just EQG, but G4 in general), for reasons I'll list later.

P.S.: Not a Starlight-hater (in fact, I loved her Human design).

Did you see it with English subtitles? If so, where exactly is it?

Well, EXACTLY as bad as I was expecting; literally halfway into the episode the other 7 are all trapped in the mirror and the rest is "its all up to starlight to save us!" she gives friendship speech where she harps on "Hey, I too used to be a villain! that means i have perspective!" and bam, everything's solved.
Bleh. I will say, Sunset was cute in this one; absolutely LOVED seeing her in Equestria again trying to walk like a human or use Magic XD
Honestly wish this one had been start to finish nothing but Sunset in equestria and it being about her interacting with Twilight and celestia.

On that note, Juniper was kind of funny for the first 5 minutes, but the movie kind of disintegrated after that (along with her villainy). Being an idiot messing around with a mirror was funny at first, but past that... there's nothing to go on, just "I'M INSANE DUE TO MAGIC!"

Villain requires... Well, VILLAINY. Its why the Dazzlings are STILL the best Villains of the series: they were funny, but they were STILL evil and actively malicious. Juniper is literally a giant magical retard in this (both Figuratively and LITERALLY funnily enough). It just makes it hard to have a good conflict when there's not a good bit of malice.
This also leads up to the unsatisactory feeling conclusion: no fight, no nothing, just Starlight's patented "I USED TO BE A VILLAIN TOO!" speech, and BAM! everything's fixed. UGH.

There ARE some good parts, like Sunset as a pony, Pinkie in the mirror universe (Like, I honestly want to see more of Pinkie in paralelle dimensions), but it has a week villain, everyone being Horribly worfed so Starlight can save the day, and just feels poor. this is a TERRIBLE way to end the EQG special's threesomes.

I kind of think there's a Doylist reason here In that I figure this will be the canon reason for Starlight's absence from the movie (Twilight told starlight to stay in the human world for a few days, and just by coincidence, the storm king attacked during that time period), but Damn, this rubs me the wrong way.
its not even starlight at her "Best", as this is loads weaker than her in A royal problem. (And good lord, it felt like she was constantly trying to insert herself into everything the entire time, like some sort of meta take on starlight in the show).

4/10. It starts out stronger, but kind of falls apart around the halfway point, which in an episode about magical shenanigans, should be where it PICKS UP instead with action. On that note, this is Supposed to be a series about the mane 7 with magic dealing with magical problems creeping into the human world: Its kind of missing the point when your magic ONLY MAKES THINGS WORSE, and its just about fixing things with a Speech.

7 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Did you see it with English subtitles? If so, where exactly is it?

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Villain requires... Well, VILLAINY. Its why the Dazzlings are STILL the best Villains of the series: they were funny, but they were STILL evil and actively malicious. Juniper is literally a giant magical retard in this (both Figuratively and LITERALLY funnily enough). It just makes it hard to have a good conflict when there's not a good bit of malice.
This also leads up to the unsatisactory feeling conclusion: no fight, no nothing, just Starlight's patented "I USED TO BE A VILLAIN TOO!" speech, and BAM! everything's fixed. UGH.

As Count Von Count from Sesame Street would say:

"0! 0 spells she used, despite absorbing the HuMane 7's combined magic!"

P.S.: Midnight Sparkle remains best "raging she-demon."