Will Season 8 have continuity to the movie?

TheGOAT

(edited)

I'm guessing so.

I'm sure Hasbro is hoping to bank of the movie success. Expecting people to watch after the movie

Edited by Firedog

I don't see why not. And even if there aren't explicit references in Season 8 and any further seasons, or any returning new characters from the movie, keep the movie completely canon by never contradicting it.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe we could get some brief references during the season, but for the most part I expect the events of the movie to be self contained and not impact the show proper, so it wouldn't confuse kids who didn't see the movie.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest, I'm expecting the movie to be treated like your standard anime movie: "for the next hour, these will be treated as the most dangerous beings you have ever encountered, and then will be completely forgotten about for all time afterwards"

I don't think there will be any canon changes to the show IMO.

• Brohoof 1

I suspect the movie will be more or less self-contained to the point that it won't risk creating any potential conflicts with the show. I imagine the goal will be to leave people wanting more, even if it isn't the same adventure as we see in the film.

I expect only dialogue references to species introduced in the film in some sort of cold open exposition dump (Celestia is meeting with Seaquestria delegate for instance). 

Nothing plot centric will cross over. 

• Brohoof 1

The movie will be kept self-contained to avoid new audience to be confused, but  S8 won't have to deal with that. Not to mention FiM do continuity nods all the time 

• Brohoof 1

It would be incredibly awkward if it didn't. The movie is obviously going to have huge events happening, that is for certain and if these huge events happen and the characters just never mention them again or we see no results at all from those evens in season 8, it will just seem dumb. With the movie being such a big deal, I don't think it will be ignored. 

1 hour ago, FirePuppy said:

Speaking of which, we're getting 26 more episodes with this season:

How exactly is that news? We know that every season has 26 episodes.

3 hours ago, TheGOAT said:

Not every season. Season 3 had 13 episodes. I still figured season 8 would have 26 episodes, but it wasn't confirmed before yesterday, so it actually is news.

3 hours ago, TheGOAT said:

That's Tartarus in the background. Not sure if intentional, but it isn't news that deserves a completely dismissive response. 

I'd be surprised if there were. The general line of thumb for media seems to indicate that when a franchise has both movies and/or TV shows there is very little interaction between the two outside of a brief mention. Star Trek is especially known for that. Like you would never hear of the Enterprise E in the various shows, though there was a brief mention of the Dominion War in Insurrection.

I largely expect the same for MLP; especially with how the EqG films are handled.

• Brohoof 1