Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your favorite video game bosses?

Celli

What the title says.

What are your favorite video game bosses? It could be anything, from any game, final boss or not.

A couple of my personal favorites are Quadraxis from Metroid Prime 2, just an awesome fight, the scale is epic, I mean, it's a giant fucking Quad! And the music perfectly compliments the fight as well.

And then Mother Brain from Super Metroid. Another amazing fight, and one that also gives me chills when the infant Metroid sacrifices itself to save you, and you totally wreck mother brain with the hyper beam.

I can think of a ton of bosses from No More Heroes and Metal Gear that'd make up my top 10 alone 

but to keep things short, Psycho Mantis, Gray Fox, and Margret Moonlight in that order 

• Brohoof 1

It used to be Sephiroth Kingdom Hearts 2, then I realized how to equip other keyblades then he got too easy, and now I can beat him on my second try without playing kh games for years.

My current one tho, I would have to take a moment to think about it. Songi from Legend of Legaia was memorable but I would say it matters what level you are more than what strat so ehhh.

First real epic boss I fought was in Megaman Legends when I was little. Megaman Juno

A more modern boss, I have no idea so far.

(edited)

The Hands (Master and Crazy) in the Super Smash Bros. series.

Especially when they fuse/sacrifice/whatever themselves to create the OMGWTFBBQ that is Master Core in the fourth game.

P.S.: I miss this track:

Edited by A.V.

All four of the bosses from Scooby Doo: Night Of 100 Frights. The fights themselves are simple, but actually timing everything correctly and being in the right place gives me trouble a lot of the time. (I'm looking at you Ghost Of Redbeard with your Captain Moody's and throwing cutlass.)

Some of my other favorite bosses are: Lou from Guitar Hero 3, Dark Tooth and Tower Tooth from Twisted Metal: Head On and any boss from Spongebob's Battle For Bikini Bottom.

Some of my definite favorites would be Yami from Okami, Dark Bowser/Dark Store Core from Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and Cartesia from Stella Glow.

Not only are all of these final battles just really fun to go get through, they all have amazing music to go with them, giving your hearing as much of a treat as your other senses!

The Nameless King from Dark Souls 3 is easily one of my favorites. He is definitely a challenge but defeating him feels so good. I also like Phantom Ganon from Ocarina of Time, any boss fron Final Fantasy X because of the amazing battle theme, Psycho Mantis from MGS1, The End from MGS3, your rival from Pokemon Red\Blue\Yellow, Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls 1, Storm Eagle from Megaman X, and others.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

The Nameless King from Dark Souls 3 is easily one of my favorites. He is definitely a challenge but defeating him feels so good. I also like Phantom Ganon from Ocarina of Time, any boss fron Final Fantasy X because of the amazing battle theme, Psycho Mantis from MGS1, The End from MGS3, your rival from Pokemon Red\Blue\Yellow, Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls 1, Storm Eagle from Megaman X, and others.

O&M is a good one. One of the few gank fights done right in the series. I ended up using power within and the crystal halberd but it was incredibly fun and satisfying to beat.

Nameless king I've heard is one of the series hardest, though.

• Brohoof 1

While the overall game of Dragon's Dogma is flawed, I still feel that one of main bosses, the dragon Grigori, remains one of the most awesome and satisfying boss fights I have ever taken part in.

Favorite Bosses? That's a good question for me to answer.

Culex from Super Mario RPG

Computer Virus from Kirby Super Star / Kirby Super Star Ultra

The Hands from Super Smash bros & Kirby & The amazing mirrors

Elemental Archfiends from Final Fantasy 4

and Dame Demona from yo-kai watch 2

Biohazard in SA2 by far. Soundtrack, difficulty, everything is perfect about this boss imo.

Ganon from Ocarina of Time. The entire castle encounter with Ganondorf sets the mood for a classic boss battle and an escape ending from the crumbling castle as you would expect. But even with a breath of relief from all this action and Ganondorf under the castle rubble, he says nope. You end up fighting this giant twin sword wielding monster 10 times the size of you and to make it more dramatic they take away your main weapon forcing you to rely on other tools instead of your default from the very beginning. That and the dark shadows cast over the stage and Ganon making this fight no longer just a battle with a giant demon at the end but a fa final duel with a dark entity taken shape. All while this plays.

Spoiler

My favorite bosses tend to be ones accompanied by amazing music. Bosses that are thematically awesome regardless of the gameplay mechanics.

WARNING: there be spoilers ahead

Sonic Heroes - High speed battle above the clouds

Wild Arms 2 - Main character effectively uses Spirit Bombs on the final boss until he dies good and proper.

Baten Kaitos: White Wings and the Lost Ocean - God of destruction at the pinnacle of a tower at the top of the world? No prob.

Just to name a few.

<_< Well that was annoying. I tried to embed them all separately but the forum decided to put all of the spoilers cascading in the same tag.

I'd also add Ornstein and Smough from the first Dark Souls, and Emperor In from Metroid Prime 2.

Hard to say really, I don't think I have favorites, but two I like are....

Monstro from Binding of Isaac Boss_Monstro.png?version=06de5547800c5f4 I don't really know why but I enjoy the boss fight. :3

Last boss of Borderlands Pre-sequel. For spoiler reasons not telling any details but I like it because it has challenge but isn't too hard. 

7 hours ago, Celli said:

I'd also add Ornstein and Smough from the first Dark Souls, and Emperor In from Metroid Prime 2.

People always mention this fight but I've always found it boring. In just Dark Souls alone you have the Moonlight Butterfly and Sif. The rest of the series has way better fights in general though.

Maiden Astraea, False King Allant, Nashandra, and the Fume Knight all outclass anything in Dark Souls 1 imo.

1 minute ago, Discordian said:

People always mention this fight but I've always found it boring. In just Dark Souls alone you have the Moonlight Butterfly and Sif. The rest of the series has way better fights in general though

How was O&M boring? o.O

It's one of the most tense fights in the game, and really tests your skill.

Also, many fans seem to agree that not only is DS1 the best, but they haven't done a good gank fight since O&M.

3 minutes ago, Celli said:

How was O&M boring? o.O

It's one of the most tense fights in the game, and really tests your skill.

Also, many fans seem to agree that not only is DS1 the best, but they haven't done a good gank fight since O&M.

Difficulty means nothing to me. It neither makes the fight better or worse. It just makes them more or less of an obstacle.

Boss fights are best for theming and atmosphere and O&S are one of the most bland fights in that regard.

I completely disagree about Dark Souls 1 though. It's a piece of shit compared to every other game in the series.

How do they even define a "gank" fight? Were the Watcher & Defender not good enough? The grave robber trio? The tiger brothers?

Just now, Discordian said:

Difficulty means nothing to me. It neither makes the fight better or worse. It just makes them more or less of an obstacle.

Boss fights are best for theming and atmosphere and O&S are one of the most bland fights in that regard.

I completely disagree about Dark Souls 1 though. It's a piece of shit compared to every other game in the series.

How do they even define a "gank" fight? Were the Watcher & Defender not good enough? The grave robber trio? The tiger brothers?

I guess you're in the minority on that one, O&M is one of the most popular, if not the most popular fights in the series. 

Also, I completely disagree, O&M had great theming and atmosphere.

And I have a mate who feels the series lost it's charm after DS1, especially with DS3.

• 1 year later...

Goht from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask would be a favourite of mine. You have to transform into a Goron and use your roll ability to damage it, while it runs away. The boss itself is rather easy, although I always find it exhilarating to constantly roll after it at high speeds.

I have not played very many video games thus far... but from what I recall, Mega Man X tends to have extraordinary boss battles. While I do enjoy the original Mega Man series to a limited extent, X is when they truly refined the series. Bosses required fast reflexes, quick fingers, and almost always had amazing music. Of the bosses which fall into this category... I would have to say Bit and Byte were among the most enjoyable. :grin:

So many battles I've struggled through...

I'd have to say the battle against the Blue Testament in Xenosaga III was simply amazing. It was emotional, difficult, and well designed. Xenosaga III is the best jrpg I have ever played (released Aug 2006).

Watch just the battle, or for better context the whole video. It's a brilliant scenario with one of the best villain monologues ever.

One of my favourite bosses is from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. That boss being the Forest Temple boss. I just loved the whole concept of that boss fight. A phantom on horseback that jumps from painting to painting. I also love the sound of the portal when it enters and leaves the painting. Not to mention the occasional laugh of the phantom itself. In general I've always had a fascination with the forest temple from the game. Twisting corridors, hands that drop from the ceiling, the Poe Sisters and also the music. :-P

Spoiler