Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Princess Celestia and Princess Luna really be considered Goddesses

heavens-champion

(edited)
5 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

I know they raise the sun and the moon, but Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have been defeated, captured, and imprisoned a lot throughout the series. Should they really be considered goddesses?

Nopony is perfect 

a great example is Anna and Elsa 

they're not really goddesses either 

it takes a lot of responsibility, these days the stereotype of "goddesses" or "acting perfect without a problem" should be eliminated I think because come on, nobody or should I say nopony is perfect so yes, they're technically princesses but shouldn't be considered "goddesses"

Edited by Jade The Pegasister

The term 'goddess' is rather loosely defined. Neither possess powers unusual for ponies, they're just significantly (but not vastly) more powerful. Ponies don't particularly seem given to religion either, and on the occasions where ponies have demonstrated a religious idolization of Celestia she's been rather shocked. Celestia is also far more a politician than a warrior or sage.

I think Celestia and Luna would disapprove of the title, but it depends on how you define the term.

• Brohoof 5

I don't think they're considered goddesses by their subjects, just the cherished leaders of their land.

Yes, they have the power to raise the sun and the moon, but they're always referred to do so as part of their jobs as rulers and before them it is said to have been a job for a full team of unicorns. Deities powers over nature are not something mortals would be able to rival, at least on the mythologies I've read about.

Not even Discord is said to be a god (always referred to as the Spirit of Disharmony and Chaos) and he's the only one to have shown abilities unmatched by any other being in the show.

(edited)

I don't think they are goddesses, but rather just powerful queens.

Maybe they plan to get Twilight run the land and accept they got captured. :grin:

Edited by Hierok

Yes. Cause even gods have been bested. Case in point, how Thor had failed various trials put before him by the King Of The Frost giants

like how he couldn't lift a cat, drink a horn full of water or overpower a wet nurse. Yet these things were more than what they seemed. The cat, embodied Jörmungandr, the world serpent of Ragnarok, big enough to coil aroudn the planet. The horn of water, was the oceans of the world. The wet nurse? Death itself. 

So yes, even gods can be bested. That doesn't stop them from shaping the very world around them, ruling over forces of the cosmos, as Luna & Celestia do. 

I think its best the terminology 'god' be dropped cause its sounds loose and the meaning will vary a lot depending on your beliefs e.g. polytheistic vs monotheistic.

I'd describe both Celestia and Luna as Queens similar to Elsa from Frozen in nature. Too bad Disney negatively depicted the terminology of Queens.

They just have powers that soon the Mane six might rule over their end once they become just like them.

(edited)

They don't need to be goddesses. In fact, I don't mind at all if they're not. The main problem I have with them, which you have also said, is that they (especially Princess Celestia) keep sucking at being guardians when they didn't need to be unjustly pushed out of those stories in the first place. The sisters don't even have an onscreen victory against some villain. Well, you could count the flashbacks with Sombra, Discord, Celestia's struggle against Nightmare Moon, but they're very short scenes and still don't fix the problem of them being continuously useless in the present. And they're unambiguously useless to the safety of Equestria as the season 5 finale showed.

At least Princess Luna has some dream duties to mitigate her losses. Celestia has nothing and just ends up looking like a pathetic loser.

I sincerely doubt they (and the creative staff) are even aware of their losing streak.

Edited by Number62

Check it - 

Yuri Hyuuga - http://shadowhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Yuri_Hyuga - He is called the "god slayer" because he killed gods. 

Kratos - http://godofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Kratos - Also killed gods

Naruto and Sasuke from Naruto killed a god. 

DC and Marval characters do it every other chapter. 

Bleach Characters do it all the time

My Point? Gods can die. They can fail, and lose, and do so all the time. 

2 hours ago, Star Petal said:

Check it - 

Yuri Hyuuga - http://shadowhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Yuri_Hyuga - He is called the "god slayer" because he killed gods. 

Kratos - http://godofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Kratos - Also killed gods

Naruto and Sasuke from Naruto killed a god. 

DC and Marval characters do it every other chapter. 

Bleach Characters do it all the time

My Point? Gods can die. They can fail, and lose, and do so all the time. 

What about Set when he killed Osiris? You know, in Egyptian mythology. Also Norse mythology, with Ragnarok.

• Brohoof 1