Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted Is 'Creativity' a bad name for a pony?

Mind Scape

I really need some advice. My OC(profile pic)'s special talent is being really creative, just like me irl. Art/music/math/thinking/theorizing/solving, all that stuff is what I do best and what my friends and family know me for. So naturally my cutie mark would be a rainbow representing creativity, "thinking outside the box", and just being a little different from most people. But my problem is coming up with a name that doesn't sound mary-sue. I want it to go with my cutie mark. I thought of just naming my OC 'Creativity', but one of my friends thought that was "extremely lame"(they aren't a big MLP fan and are bad at coming up with names, so I don't know if they are a reliable source of feedback anyways). The name Creativity is similar to the name Rarity, so it could have a chance of being a pony name and it's not that mary-sure, but I don't know what else to name my OC. Would the name 'Creativity' be ironic because it's not creative...? For any name recommendations, it has to sound masculine or neutral. Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

Creativity does sound like a name that a pony might have, but the way I see it ponies names relate to themselves without being fully direct.

Look at Rarity for example: She is super creative in her fashion design, but she is also an 'upperclass' type pony as well as a kind soul (and a bit of a drama queen XD)

The name 'Rarity' implies that she is unique (leaning on to her creativity) while also speaking for her other traits (eg kindness shouldnt be a rare thing, or upperclass people are generally rare to find).

Without me trying to sound like some kind of fashion designer or artist looking for a name with "pizaaz!", that's exactly what we are looking for as well as some uniqueness toward the character.

Your OC seems to be verging on the 'smart guy' vibe (by the image in your profile picture), and not just creative. (Correct me if I'm wrong) They seem to be friendly but also reserved.

Here are some names that I'm thinking: Multi-vision (a play on the glasses and the creativity), Rainbow thought (the uniqueness of their way of thinking plus the leg warmers XD), Mind-Scape (A play on their creativity and the vastness of it), Innovate Variable (powerful and unique thinking), Sam Same (An ironic name for what is actually an 'unncommon' individual),  Snooty fruity (snooty for the smart side, and fruit for the colors. Also a bit of  a fun name), and Inky dinky (just a fun name i came up with XD).

By the way, welcome to the forum, I see that you are new here ;)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 0:13 AM, Crystal Peppermint said:

Would recommend a name from one of the muses of the Greek mythology.

On 8/6/2017 at 0:23 AM, General Solar Magus said:

Creativity does sound like a name that a pony might have, but the way I see it ponies names relate to themselves without being fully direct.

Look at Rarity for example: She is super creative in her fashion design, but she is also an 'upperclass' type pony as well as a kind soul (and a bit of a drama queen XD)

The name 'Rarity' implies that she is unique (leaning on to her creativity) while also speaking for her other traits (eg kindness shouldnt be a rare thing, or upperclass people are generally rare to find).

Without me trying to sound like some kind of fashion designer or artist looking for a name with "pizaaz!", that's exactly what we are looking for as well as some uniqueness toward the character.

Your OC seems to be verging on the 'smart guy' vibe (by the image in your profile picture), and not just creative. (Correct me if I'm wrong) They seem to be friendly but also reserved.

Here are some names that I'm thinking: Multi-vision (a play on the glasses and the creativity), Rainbow thought (the uniqueness of their way of thinking plus the leg warmers XD), Mind-Scape (A play on their creativity and the vastness of it), Innovate Variable (powerful and unique thinking), Sam Same (An ironic name for what is actually an 'unncommon' individual),  Snooty fruity (snooty for the smart side, and fruit for the colors. Also a bit of  a fun name), and Inky dinky (just a fun name i came up with XD).

By the way, welcome to the forum, I see that you are new here ;)

Thank you so much for the suggestions!! I really appreciate it. I will definitely be taking some into consideration, and I will do some research about the muses of Greek mythology. I never thought any of that, except for "Rainbow Thought", that one was obvious for me and it sounds like "Rainbow Thot" which means something totally different. And I actually am exactly how you described my OC, General Solar Magus. Thank you both so much. I'll still leave this thread open for anybody who has another idea, though.

• Brohoof 1

It could work. But it is pretty bland. It's sort of like if Rarity was just called Fashion. Literal, but not exciting. Unless you use it as a gag name. Like "Oh hey guys my names Creativty and I'm creative?" Whatever you choose it will be better than Silga Singewald(my oc in my avatar). 

Here is a mlp name generator maybe this will help you: http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/my-little-pony-names.php#.WZTYK9QrKV4

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Tilgoreth said:

It could work. But it is pretty bland. It's sort of like if Rarity was just called Fashion. Literal, but not exciting. Unless you use it as a gag name. Like "Oh hey guys my names Creativty and I'm creative?" Whatever you choose it will be better than Silga Singewald(my oc in my avatar). 

Here is a mlp name generator maybe this will help you: http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/my-little-pony-names.php#.WZTYK9QrKV4

"Sort of like if Rarity was just called Fashion" :lol: that's funny because it's true. You're right lol

• Brohoof 1