Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Elements of Harmony question

Sun Ray

Without unicorns - magic, as it is known and used in Equestria, might not be possible. Based on what the show reveals, unicorns are the primary wielder, and researcher of magic.

• Brohoof 1

Well technically the element of magic is more or less the element of friendship, Thus the name of the show Friendship is magic. I don't think originally it was intended to be the element of magic hence Twilight... season 1-4 Spoilers in case (Can never be too careful)

Spoiler

Twilight did  become the princess of Friendship After all

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Maple Bat said:

Well technically the element of magic is more or less the element of friendship, Thus the name of the show Friendship is magic. I don't think originally it was intended to be the element of magic hence Twilight... season 1-4 Spoilers in case (Can never be too careful)

Reveal hidden contents

Twilight did  become the princess of Friendship After all

Twilight is a unicorn though, and wields the 'mysterious' power, as it were, of friendship, through the conduit of the elements of harmony (which are both objects and subjects at the same time). Although you make a good point, I think you're missing the point, just a little. Friendship doesn't have power per se (that is, it doesn't have power to change materials or move objects), but can unleash the highest levels of magic, which is the conduit of said power - much like an avatar is required to unleash the power of a deity upon nature.

Metaphorically, friendship is magic in that it promotes harmony, and harmony promotes goodness, and goodness, even in Equestria, promotes heroism.

Goodness always leads a being to its fullest potential, and so Twilight, through her goodness, and ultimately her heroism, has become much higher than a 'magician' but a princess of Friendship - which is the highest ideal that brings forth the greatest power. But I don't think that means that magic and friendship are interchangeable (alas, Discord's power and Tirek's power).

Moreover, I simply pointed out that unicorns were the primary wielders of magic (for teh pwn3's). The show just tends to lend unicorns as having the strongest grip on magical abilities and powers, and perhaps more importantly, knowledge of its use.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Mirage77 said:

Twilight is a unicorn though, and wields the 'mysterious' power, as it were, of friendship, through the conduit of the elements of harmony (which are both objects and subjects at the same time). Although you make a good point, I think you're missing the point, just a little. Friendship doesn't have power per se (that is, it doesn't have power to change materials or move objects), but can unleash the highest levels of magic, which is the conduit of said power - much like an avatar is required to unleash the power of a deity upon nature.

Metaphorically, friendship is magic in that it promotes harmony, and harmony promotes goodness, and goodness, even in Equestria, promotes heroism.

Goodness always leads a being to its fullest potential, and so Twilight, through her goodness, and ultimately her heroism, has become much higher than a 'magician' but a princess of Friendship - which is the highest ideal that brings forth the greatest power. But I don't think that means that magic and friendship are interchangeable (alas, Discord's power and Tirek's power).

Moreover, I simply pointed out that unicorns were the primary wielders of magic (for teh pwn3's). The show just tends to lend unicorns as having the strongest grip on magical abilities and powers, and perhaps more importantly, knowledge of its use.

Just an observation I made. These are some good points too! Don't have a lot more to say on the subject just wanted to add a opinion.

• Brohoof 1

34 minutes ago, Maple Bat said:

Just an observation I made. These are some good points too! Don't have a lot more to say on the subject just wanted to add a opinion.

It's okay man! Just thinking out loud - your comment forced me to think it through more deeply. I come in peace, I mean no harm my good friend.

It's called a collective consciousness - we progress in understanding by exchanging ideas.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Mirage77 said:

It's okay man! Just thinking out loud - your comment forced me to think it through more deeply. I come in peace, I mean no harm my good friend.

It's called a collective consciousness - we progress in understanding by exchanging ideas.

Don't worry wasn't upset or thought you meant to shoot me down or what not. The things you said did bring up one question to me. Again season 4 spoilers.

Spoiler

If the elements where need post-Discords reforment. Then could he be the element of Magic if he was the only being left in equestria who could use magic. (Like if all the Unicorns/Alicorns where just gone?)

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Maple Bat said:

Don't worry wasn't upset or thought you meant to shoot me down or what not. The things you said did bring up one question to me. Again season 4 spoilers.

Hide contents

If the elements where need post-Discords reforment. Then could he be the element of Magic if he was the only being left in equestria who could use magic. (Like if all the Unicorns/Alicorns where just gone?)

I would answer that - Discord is not necessarily a wielder of magic, Discord is the power of (incarnation of) chaos, which presumes mastery over the physical and magical 'laws', if we assume chaos is the tendency for things to change randomly.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...