Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Creating your own unicorn Horn

Magic_Spark

I thought I would share with the group the steps I took to make a unicorn horn. 

This all started when I wanted to pass out candy to the kids for Halloween. I could not as I lived in a gated community. So I decided to go to them instead. 

1.) You get a foam cylinder from a craft store. They are rough and used for flower arrangements. It will be smoothed later.

NOTE: You can also use a Styrofoam cone as well but I used a cylinder for mine. (http://www.michaels.com/floracraft-styrofoam-cone-white/M10213118.html?dwvar_M10213118_color=White)

2.) You mark off where you want the spiral to be and use a dremel or other tool to carve it up.

3.) Once you have the shape you like you then carve the middle out. This will make it lighter as we are going to work on the outside and coat it then paint it.

4.) Then you get some plaster wrap. This stuff is great you can cut it then dip it in the water then put it on and use your fingers to smooth the plaster into the pores of the foam. Only put on enough to cover the entire horn.

5.) Once the plaster dries you can sand it then paint it. I used gold leaf for the crevices on mine. 

6.) If you want it to glow you can use a battery box in the base and drill a hole all the way up to the tip. Now to make it glow like mine does you use hot glue on the tip while the cone is upside down and let gravity make the glue drip. Once its dry you can then cut it carefully to form a 4 sided tip. The hot glue difuses the light from the LED.

There are LED's online that will cycle colors you can get really cheap. 

Let me know if you need help figuring out how to hook it all up.

The last picture is me with my horse leaving to go see the kids.

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0540sm.jpg

• Brohoof 2