Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony interaction rules vs human interaction

Toastypk

This is very much in the realm of overthinking it, but it's something I've wondered about, and this is probably the best place to talk about it.

I'm sure many of you would admit to wanting to interact with and or hug and such, your favorite character(s) in the show. Goodness knows I have. But something always bugged me when I thought of that.. if you translate that sort of interaction into human rules, it gets... weird.

You would be inclined to hug your favorite pony, nuzzle with her(or him?), and tell them how much you love them. But If you regard your favorite pony(s) as a human would another human, you wouldn't just hug them, it would be intrusive, or worse. Especially if it was one of the CMCs. I would hug Apple Bloom no problem, but if you tried that with a 3rd grader? Call the police! So wouldn't it work the same if you were a pony in the pony world? Would the rules be the same? The stigmas would be different. As a human you'd be tempted to cuddle them, but you wouldnt do that with other humans. You would have to know them super well or something.. So wouldn't ponies react the same way?

Unlike the human rules though. not wearing clothes is seen as normal, but I think interactions between pony to pony would  be seen as similar to human to human. But in the instinctiveness to adore one of the xharacters, you might rub them the wrong way.

Star Tracker is a pretty cute and funny example of a similar reaction. But if you fangeeked out at your fav, there would be all these ramifications. You're adoring them, but basing on human customs. maybe they would not keen on it.

Or maybe they would? In some case?

Though you would probably take care to treat said pony the right way too.

zephyranddash.png

And this is worse. It's obvious Zephyr was doing things super wrong.

I know I would feel bad if I did something to upset Applejack or Twi or someone in this hypothetical casee.

That brings me to Fame and Misfortune, which i saw a few days ago. Pretty good and meaningful episode, and I'm glad to say I don't have anything in common with the complaining and nitpicking ponies. But I probably would be one of the supporter ponies. I think I would know when to get out of their manes. That takes into account that they're sort of celebrities too, that adds another layer.

And then there's all the cases in the recent months of real people being ultra creepos that are being known. I saw this cute attractive image of  Spitfire in her fan club thread, but although I want to love it, things like that just sort of bug me thinking about it, I dwell on it more than I need to or should.

I know this is all weird to talk about, and is super unimportant,  but it's some hypothetical thing that I've wondered about for some time. What do you think?

• Brohoof 3

As intelligent as Equestrian ponies are, they are animals. Highly evolved animals, yes, but still animals. If they were real, I'd share my affections toward them the same way I'd do with a dog or a cat. Maybe they would feel weirded out by it at first, but I could easily circumvent that by telling them that's how we humans express our feelings toward other species. It's instinctual. Practically customary. And I'd be more than willing to accept whatever display of affection they'd have for me.

That's not so bad, is it? I don't get this feeling of arousal from petting something with fur on it (and I certainly hope no one else here does), so unless a certain pony flat out tells me they don't like all the hugging and petting, I won't shy from it. I will say though I'd need some time to warm up to them first, because then it would feel awkward no matter what I'd say to them. I'm not gonna fist bump or hug somebody I don't know in our world for that same reason.

Edited by KillerKingBakudan
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 10:08 AM, Toastypk said:

So wouldn't it work the same if you were a pony in the pony world? Would the rules be the same? The stigmas would be different. As a human you'd be tempted to cuddle them, but you wouldnt do that with other humans. You would have to know them super well or something.. So wouldn't ponies react the same way?

What Bakudan stated would be proper way to interact with Equestrian ponies, if one petting them would be indeed human. But original scenario was that both of you were ponies. Would it be ok to hug and pet them like we would do to real animal?

What we can understand from show, ponies are almoust identical to humans. They are sentient beings with rules of behaviour and etiquette similar or at least very close to ours. Thus, petting them would be considered as rude and creepy if random person would start to cuddle with you without asking your permission first.