Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Teleportation in MLP

sciencewill98

Here is a thought I had:

Anytime a pony teleports they disappear and roughly a second later they reappear somewhere else. But what happens to them in this second? Where are they? Or are do they just not exist for that time?

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

(That was a lot of questions)

• Brohoof 2

My theory is that when they teleport, in the blink of an eye, they are 'transported' to their destination really, really fast. I just said 'transported' because this is magic, so I don't think we should overthink it!:P

Though if you want to look at it scientifically, the law of conservation of mass states that matter can not be created or destroyed. Whether this is true in the world of pony or not is debatable.

Edited by Rhythm Red
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Rhythm Red said:

My theory is that when they teleport, in the blink of an eye, they are 'transported' to their destination really, really fast. I just said 'transported' because this is magic, so I don't think we should overthink it!:P

But it isn't in the blink of an eye. There is a short delay. Admittedly of varying amounts, but still.

And who doesn't want to overthink things from a kids show. :D

Edited by sciencewill98
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, sciencewill98 said:

But it isn't in the blink of an eye. There is a short delay. Admittedly of varying amounts, but still.

And who doesn't want to overthink things from a kids show. :D

Lol, I agree, trying to find scientific explanations for things can be fun!:P

The one problem is that when magic is on the table, scientific explanations can be hard to come up with. We don't even know how a lot of the magic works in the show! How do they actually perform magic? And how is it possible? What allows them to move things with their mind?

Then again, 'Magic is just science that hasn't been explained yet' -some dude from a movie I saw at some point.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Rhythm Red said:

The one problem is that when magic is on the table, scientific explanations can be hard to come up with

Hard to come up with... I think they go out the window.

1 minute ago, Rhythm Red said:

We don't even know how a lot of the magic works in the show!

Probably because it's just magic and it doesn't seem to follow many (if any) rules.

Just now, sciencewill98 said:

Hard to come up with... I think they go out the window.

Probably because it's just magic and it doesn't seem to follow many (if any) rules.

Exactly. I think the best explanation we have is that 'it's magic.':P

• Brohoof 1

Just now, cuteycindyhoney said:

As a fan of Anne McCaffrey, I always think of it as "Going Between

Confusing, but a theory that works and is interesting to think about.

Just now, Rhythm Red said:

Exactly. I think the best explanation we have is that 'it's magic.':P

Forget "It's Pinkie Pie, don't question it" now its "It's magic, don't question it.

Well i can think of two possible explanations:

1. The teleportation breaks them down to a subatomic level, sending them to the destination particle by particle at the speed of thought, and as such they remain in the material realm
  2. The teleportation sends them to another dimension that is smaller than the one they're usually in, allowing them to use it as a shortcut, similarly to how Nightcrawler from Marvel Comics universe does it
Edited by GreenGreenWhirlWind
  • Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, GreenGreenWhirlWind said:

The teleportation breaks them down in a subatomic level, sending them to the destination particle by particle at the speed of thought, and as such they remain in the material realm

In this theory, would they be conscious while they are teleporting.

Just now, Midnight Seashell said:

I think they get sent to another dimension where time and space are non-existant.

The theory of travelling through universes seems to be the most popular and plausible theory at the moment.

7 minutes ago, sciencewill98 said:

In this theory, would they be conscious while they are teleporting.

I don't think so, since their molecules being disassebled would mean that their brains wouldn't be in the conditions necessary to function, which yes, means that technically teleportation would temporarily "kill" them and then bring them back to life somewhere else.

Metal af.

Edited by GreenGreenWhirlWind
  • Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, GreenGreenWhirlWind said:

I don't think so, since their molecules being disassebled would mean that their brains wouldn't be in the conditions necessary to function, which yes, means that technically teleportation would temporarily "kill" them and then bring them back to life somewhere else.

But, in this theory, how would their molecules be transported?

Just now, sciencewill98 said:

But, in this theory, how would their molecules be transported?

That is...Difficult to say.

Possibly it creates a "path" between point A and point B and then forces them to move through that path...Somehow, but i can't really come up with a fully concrete awnser, not yet at least.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
4 minutes ago, GreenGreenWhirlWind said:

That is...Difficult to say.

Possibly it creates a "path" between point A and point B and then forces them to move through that path...Somehow, but i can't really come up with a fully concrete awnser, not yet at least.

It's hard to think of an explanation for that, but fun and it is an interesting theory nonetheless. 

Edited by sciencewill98
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe quantum entanglement could be a thing in this world, and have them immediately transfer to the other end of some pathway to the destination. Maybe that also has something to do with the teleportation fails. :twilighthat:

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, maverickBNA said:

Maybe that also has something to do with the teleportation fails.

Or it was just the overload pf magic.

3 minutes ago, maverickBNA said:

Maybe quantum entanglement could be a thing in this world, and have them immediately transfer to the other end of some pathway to the destination.

That offers a reasonable explanation.

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna go with a combination of @GreenGreenWhirlWind's theories. I think of it like the transporter technology in Star Trek. The pony is disassembled and travels safely through another dimension (a shortcut) to the destination where they are reassembled.

Also, conservation of matter is confirmed by Starlight in this scene.  Hence why I believe they travel interdimensionally, not skipping any time or space.

Edited by MontagnaMagica