Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

We shouldn't be scared to go to school.

Titans08Mariota

Coming from someone who had family in the Columbian shooting, I think that we shouldn't be scared anymore! Maybe better background checks when purchasing a weapon and several mental evaluations are needed now, because we can't let this happen again! But for now, until something along those lines is put in motion, we should focus on helping victims 

(edited)

Interesting thing I found on this subject.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2018/02/schools-are-still-one-of-the-safest-places-for-children-researcher-says/

Apparently there's only one school shooting every YEAR when there used to be around 2 a year in the late 90's. Another thing to note: In the past metal detectors and ID Cards have NEVER helped the problem. In fact, at least 3 of those schools have actually had school shootings in the past 30 years. Also, the person collecting the data suggests arming teachers is just completely absurd, and i agree quite frankly. Arming teachers won't help the problem either, because these things called scopes exist, and these things called long-barreled rifles exist, and they can shoot students from a long range...

In other words, why try so hard to fix a problem that doesn't even really exist? All that should be done on this issue is to implement stricter background checks, so it's less likely that shootings can happen in general. Otherwise, leave everything as is.

Edited by Classic Meme

Just now, Classic Meme said:

Interesting thing I found on this subject.

https://news.northeastern.edu/2018/02/schools-are-still-one-of-the-safest-places-for-children-researcher-says/

Apparently there's only one school shooting every YEAR when there used to be around 2 a year in the late 90's. Another thing to note: In the past metal detectors and ID Cards have NEVER helped the problem. In fact, at least 3 of those schools have actually had school shootings in the past 30 years. Also, the person collecting the data suggests arming teachers is just completely absurd, and i agree quite frankly. Arming teachers won't help the problem either, because these things called scopes exist, and these things called long-barreled rifles exist, and they can shoot students from a long range...

In other words, why try so hard to fix a problem that doesn't even really exist? All that should be done on this issue is to implement stricter background checks, so it's less likely that shootings can happen in general. Otherwise, leave everything as is.

They're counting the entire world probably,

Here in Scotland we banned guns because of one school shooting, The Dunblane Massacre

I personally think that you should get mental health checks every 6 months to have a gun

Just now, Sherbert Music-Guard, Scoffer of Shortbread said:

They're counting the entire world probably,

That's only counting the United States, actually. The report was derived from data collected by the FBI.

First I need to say I'm actually a student so good way to get into the topic. 

In my opinion the weapons aren't the problem in the first way. Yeah on the USA maybe a bit to free but here in Germany not realy but the bigger and more important problem is the thing behind the gun. Behind the weapon. The person. His motivation for this and even his problems. Why should anyone want to kill someone? Right because he did some bad things to him (realy bad not only stealing his lolly pop). If a student gets bullied all time by everyone and no one is listening. Not even his parents he will further or later think about 2 things. 1. Running from home and school and run away from every problem he have or 2. Ending all of this. There are 2 ways ending all of this. 1. Suicide 2. Determination of the problem. And if you could erase your problem without killing yourself just better. On this point the person is very harmed and mostly have realy big problems and possible some mental disorders. 

In my opinion no one should threat weapon company's or even the law. They should watch on themself first and the surrounding because most times they were the reason why this happened. If you drive your car with 200km/h against a wall you doesn't judge the person who build the wall. It was your fault. It's not every time the case but most times. If families and friends stop listening while bullying and everyone is watching away the person will have nothing to lose in his opinion. Parents of the dead bullies should think about they upbringing (hope this is the right word) because they hadn't told they own child that it isn't okay to bully someone enough. 

It's realy long I'm sorry for that. I'm open for a discussion and talk about this. 

If you point your finger at someone first watch at yourself because there are three fingers pointing right to you. And this three are your own.

Love you all Bronies <3

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Because im Armed im never afraid! Part of being a law breaker means that they will not follow laws!

On 3/2/2018 at 9:44 AM, shadowwarp940 said:

Coming from someone who had family in the Columbian shooting, I think that we shouldn't be scared anymore! Maybe better background checks when purchasing a weapon and several mental evaluations are needed now, because we can't let this happen again! But for now, until something along those lines is put in motion, we should focus on helping victims 

Background checks are required to buy a firearm, if you have domestic abuse charges you cannot legally purchase a gun,  if you use illegal controlled substances you cannot legally own  or posses OR buy a gun, if you  have ANY felony on  your record its illegal to buy or own a firearm.  google 4473 nics background check. 

page1-1200px-Atf_form_4473-firearms_tran

On 2/21/2018 at 2:09 PM, Porrot said:

It's people WITH GUNS. When will people realise that GUNS = DEATH?

Thats funny ive owned  my AR15 for 6 years  and  my shotgun and 22  rifle since  i was 10 and it has not killed a single person, funny eh? plus rifles account for roughly 350 deaths per year while what would be  considered "assault rifles" killed even less MEANWHILE! 

"New preliminary 2016 data shared Wednesday from the National Safety Council estimates that as many as 40,000 people died in motor vehicles crashes last year, a 6% rise from 2015"  therefor cars = DEATH  

On 2/21/2018 at 6:41 PM, iceestarz said:

Lol you’re also talking about murica, where they would rather fight for their dumbass guns than care about the safety of their children :lol:

Consider this for a  moment, the average gun owner is the  most upstanding law abiding member of society their is, despite mainstream liberal news outlets trying to paint us all as racist tobacco chewing bigots that have kkk meetings every sunday which is  CRAZY! growing up in  a small rural village in the heartland where nearly everyone owns AR15's scoped hunting rifles its amazing that it isnt a bloodbath eh? Not, because they are the most law  abiding  upstanding members of society! The media and social media really need to stop slut  shaming law  abiding Americans! WE didnt do it, a  madman did it! We have a madman epidemic in  America and we as a  community need to watch our fellow man and not  push and  bully people into insanity.     

Edited by Blivy
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 2/21/2018 at 4:29 PM, iceestarz said:

The issue is there needs to be stricter gun control laws enforced all across America. Nobody sane is saying to ban guns all together, it just shouldn’t be that easy to get your hands on something that could easily kill many people in a short amount of time, LEGALLY. Illegally is another story. Nobody can control that. I believe you should be able to own a gun, what I have an issue with is people having them when they are not mentally capable of having that responsibility and abuse it such as in these shootings. 

Honestly though if it’s for self defense you probably don’t need a freaking AR15 for that. A handgun seems a lot more practical. But that’s my opinion on the matter. I don’t like guns and that’s coming from someone who has handled a few and shot them. 

Last time I checked it was the bill of  RIGHTS not the bill of needs!  You dont need anything  other than warm  clothes when its cold some dirty  pond water and  some dumpster food yet im  sure  you have more?  why do  you NEED anything other than basic  supplies to live?

ALSO as a  side note the AR15 is  either chambered if  5.56 or 223!

WELL HERES A SURPRISE! 

223-30-061.jpg

The bullet on the left is the bullet the average ar15 takes while the bullet on the right is  the 30-06 which is a common hunting round WITH a lead tip meaning when it impacts the lead spreads out and affects a  much larger area with HUGE amounts of  inertia to take down large game in a humane way. The small little 223/5.56 NATO round is actually considered far to small and is illegal to hunt with in the vast majority of states. 

FUN FACT, the  30-06 Springfield was originally a military round but they  later switched  to the small 5.56 NATO round as it allowed ground forces to carry much larger sums  of ammunition but   caused  much  controversy because of its lack of take down power and  its tendency to change course by a small gust of wind or hitting a blade of grass.      

On 2/20/2018 at 10:49 PM, Penguinbrony2409 said:

I agree that children should not feel scared to go to school. Hell, I live on campus and i'm scared this day in age. You do not know what could happen, and that is what scares me.

If you are of legal age take training courses in  handgun safety and  get your concealed carry permit! 

Edited by Blivy
  • Brohoof 2

Also  here  is a few vids of self defense and about!

Contains Graphic content after the fact viewer is advised. The intruder did survive.

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Blivy said:

Last time I checked it was the bill of  RIGHTS not the bill of needs!  You dont need anything  other than warm  clothes when its cold some dirty  pond water and  some dumpster food yet im  sure  you have more?  why do  you NEED anything other than basic  supplies to live?

ALSO as a  side note the AR15 is  either chambered if  5.56 or 223!

WELL HERES A SURPRISE! 

223-30-061.jpg

The bullet on the left is the bullet the average ar15 takes while the bullet on the right is  the 30-06 which is a common hunting round WITH a lead tip meaning when it impacts the lead spreads out and affects a  much larger area with HUGE amounts of  inertia to take down large game in a humane way. The small little 223/5.56 NATO round is actually considered far to small and is illegal to hunt with in the vast majority of states. 

FUN FACT, the  30-06 Springfield was originally a military round but they  later switched  to the small 5.56 NATO round as it allowed ground forces to carry much larger sums  of ammunition but   caused  much  controversy because of its lack of take down power and  its tendency to change course by a small gust of wind or hitting a blade of grass.      

If you are of legal age take training courses in  handgun safety and  get your concealed carry permit! 

Lol I mean in the end I don’t really care. People are gonna want guns and fight for them every step of the way. I don’t see the point in just having a crap ton of guns, but I guess you do you and I’ll do me. 

• Brohoof 1

Was never afraid of going to school lol, try to learn how to meme about it and stuff, but then again being social from the start and having a decent reputation is key here.

Never had this problem. Everyone was too tired, too bored, too caught up in everything else in their own lives to even care about shooting up a school. 

Getting shot was never a worry. Staying awake during class and scrambling to get my assignments done before I went home were my main worries. 

As to the issue itself. As far as I know, schools will always be vulnerable. Anyplace that bans guns is always gonna be a target. If there was a sign that said "trespassers will be shot" or "Armed security present" then deterring such threats would become easier. 

But as has been mentioned, the social factors need to change. Maybe treating the kids as kids and not as prisoners would be a step forward. 

Related image

3 hours ago, iceestarz said:

Lol I mean in the end I don’t really care. People are gonna want guns and fight for them every step of the way. I don’t see the point in just having a crap ton of guns, but I guess you do you and I’ll do me. 

Oh nonono I’m not trying to convince you to own firearms or anything you’re uncomfortable with I’m just trying to be a light in the media fog of misinformation and pure propaganda. Facts are key in most every debate and mainstream media loves to use sensationalism rather than truthful facts.

2 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Never had this problem. Everyone was too tired, too bored, too caught up in everything else in their own lives to even care about shooting up a school. 

Getting shot was never a worry. Staying awake during class and scrambling to get my assignments done before I went home were my main worries. 

As to the issue itself. As far as I know, schools will always be vulnerable. Anyplace that bans guns is always gonna be a target. If there was a sign that said "trespassers will be shot" or "Armed security present" then deterring such threats would become easier. 

But as has been mentioned, the social factors need to change. Maybe treating the kids as kids and not as prisoners would be a step forward. 

Related image

Yeah almost peeing yourself because a teacher won’t let you use the bathroom is bs, I use to get up and go anyway!

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Blivy said:

Oh nonono I’m not trying to convince you to own firearms or anything you’re uncomfortable with I’m just trying to be a light in the media fog of misinformation and pure propaganda. Facts are key in most every debate and mainstream media loves to use sensationalism rather than truthful facts.

Yeah almost peeing yourself because a teacher won’t let you use the bathroom is bs, I use to get up and go anyway!

Oh yeah, no dude you’re all good. I know you weren’t trying to persuade me to own them or anything. I respect you for having your own stand on the topic. 

IMO no one should be scared for going to school. This reminds of people who's afraid for taking a plane, when in the news says that a plane crashed, when much, much more people die in car accidents. What is the chance for this to happen? Extremely low, like winning the jackpot of a lottery.

Now, this things can happen everywhere in the world. This happened in the country where I live three years ago:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/spanish-youth-kills-teacher-crossbow-reports-article-1.2191273

15 minutes ago, Blivy said:

Related image

Quite true...

• Brohoof 1

School is still scary whether there are threats of violence or not. The systems in most of the USA are completely broken and make it extremely difficult to learn ANYTHING USEFUL. 

Two points I have to make:

1. No matter what, a gun will always result in more deaths by assailant to victim than with anything else (ok fine, there are bombs and cars too but I’m not sure if the average Joe can find a way to make a good bomb or if they’d have as much success car-ramming. I concede here, but you at least really can’t ram a car into a school and do as much damage, I would think), unless that person is that dark Ninja Assassin. 30+ may have died in Kunming by knives in 2014, but this was done by 5 people. One person alone killed 17 in Florida.

2. While I do think we should be able to stop attackers as soon as possible, whether that be by having more armed people, this should always be a last resort, not a solution.

3. I lied about two points. What if we talked more about the victims and those who also gave their lives to save others than about the attacker? Clearly they want attention, so let’s just not give it to them (the killer of course).

I’m surprised this isn’t just moved to the debate pit or merged with another thread.

Edited by WWolf

11 hours ago, Steam Control said:

i have a feeling there will be someone on the news saying , : ohhh im not taking my kid to school too much bullying and guns there, i rather have my kid be home schooled. , i can see that happening.

And what's wrong with being homeschooled? 

15 minutes ago, Who? said:

And what's wrong with being homeschooled? 

Sorry that I'm just coming here from the side and are just saying that it could be a problem on two sides. 

The first parents that are thinking school is shit my child doesn't need to know what 12*12 is had another excuse to not send his children to school what is a little side effect but the more viable problem in my opinion is that some part of interaction with other children of your own age get lost. I'm not a psychologist but it could be a problem and it would definitely make a problem. If another student interrupts the lesson all time the student itself find a way to deal with him and his behavior. If this person is home schooled one part of problem solving could be missing. As said I'm not an expert and I'm really interested in this topic if here is an expert please give us a statement.

Love you all Bronies <33

Another thing that just came into my mind after sending this was that home schooled children doesn't have inner lesson group learning activities. The thing that I know is that most students are alone home schooled by parents or a teacher, so they can't work in a group at a subject or a problem, which could make a difference in later group working in society and job.

Still love you all

Please don't kill me for my bad grammar. English isn't my best subject and not my native language

Edited by PhoenixGER
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, PhoenixGER said:

Sorry that I'm just coming here from the side and are just saying that it could be a problem on two sides. 

The first parents that are thinking school is shit my child doesn't need to know what 12*12 is had another excuse to not send his children to school what is a little side effect but the more viable problem in my opinion is that some part of interaction with other children of your own age get lost. I'm not a psychologist but it could be a problem and it would definitely make a problem. If another student interrupts the lesson all time the student itself find a way to deal with him and his behavior. If this person is home schooled one part of problem solving could be missing. As said I'm not an expert and I'm really interested in this topic if here is an expert please give us a statement.

Love you all Bronies <3

Not all of us who are homeschooled are antisocial and unable to interact with kids of our own age. Take me for example, I have many irl friends and I enjoy meeting new people, I'm not one bit antisocial. 

11 minutes ago, Who? said:

Not all of us who are homeschooled are antisocial and unable to interact with kids of our own age. Take me for example, I have many irl friends and I enjoy meeting new people, I'm not one bit antisocial. 

Man my laptop deleted my text. Shit. You are changing the words right in my mouth my friend. I never said that you are anti social. I said that it COULD make a difference in social behavior. A student half day learning and solving problems with a group in school and getting an experience of solving problems as a team or someone solving problems alone at home or with his teacher. Nothing antisocial here the only thing here is a difference in problem solving and the connected social behavior. I'm definitely not an expert in this topic and in reason that I need to paint my wall in a very mouth red everywhere white stripes are and finishing last episodes of season 6 and then season 7 I'm a little tiny bit to busy searching for some statistics or some experts that confirm or refute my points. And in reason that you are not antisocial. First it's an experience argument not a fact that can make a complete statistic and second in German we have a saying: Die Ausnahme bestätigt die Regel (the exception confirms the rule)

little side joke in reason of your name:9509e61ac56ac301c93f4746c24f7da1--batman-meme-joker-batman.jpg.00206ac31f6b386158eefc6661d19a20.jpg

But I need to say one thing because many people are saying that I am always way to cold and to angry. Still love you all <3

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

I also think that one shouldn't be scared to go to school because of a school shooting occurring, but at the same time it doesn't hurt to come prepared anyways for a shooting, which is why there is security and drills for school shootings.

Certainly no one should be scared to go to school, but someone might be scared (anxious?) about going to school for any number of reasons.

One really important thing here is that fear, in general, isn't required to be rational. Being generally worried that someone (non-specific) is going to shoot up your school, church, workplace, etc is in fact irrational. Just because some crazy person shot up a school, library, house, whatever somewhere does not intrinsically make it any more or less likely that you will experience such a thing. Very little has actually changed in terms of intrinsic threat, only that you are now very aware of a specific possibility which is a terrifying thought. And if turns out the sanity of someone going to your school is hanging by a thread, well that's probably not some novel development and it could be a separate problem someday, with no external connections.

Tangentially, we insist on fire drills even though it's statistically likely that most people will never experience their school or home burning down. So, given that guns are fairly prevalent (at least in the US) it makes a certain amount of sense to prepare people for the possibility that someone might lose their mind and go shoot a bunch of people. It could happen anywhere after all.

Edited by StormyVenture