Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

This should be really concerning regarding toy size

ManaMinori

(edited)

I'm surprised that no one is really talking about this, because it's going to be a serious issue. With generation 5 right around the corner, there's a very good chance that the ponies we get out of it will be smaller than the ponies we're accustomed to seeing in g4. Hasbro seems to have this weird trend of continuously shrinking their already little ponies to make them even smaller. Just look at the size of the g4's compared to g3, and the size of g3's compared to g2 and g1! There is absolutely NO doubt that when g5 ponies hit store shelves, they'll continue to be shrunken shells of their former selves, and no one will have an issue with this, because no one's talking or raising a stink about this trend right now. Only when it happens, they will, but then it'll be too late.

ponyevo1.png.d7ea44134251bc47e6976259bbe95473.png

ponyevo2.thumb.jpg.6c4315d28dada09195658de5a9420131.jpg

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

(edited)

Why is this concerning at all? I deliberately collect the smallest figurines of this generation, the Friendship is Magic Collection. They stand at about an inch and a half on average. They're not going to make ALL ponies that small in the future though, because then they can't be sold to the parents of 3 year olds. Choking hazard.

And even now there are very large MLP toys you can purchase for this generation. And the Guardians of Harmony collection toys are about 4 inches tall for a Pony character, larger than the standard brushable toy.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3

Like Shado-O said; they can't make them so small that they become a choking hazard. I'm pretty sure that Hasbro has been continuing this trend due to rising prices in plastic; Hasbro is a corporation first and foremost, so their priority is to make a product that tons of people will want to buy with the lowest investment possible. Besides, if Generation 5 is anything like 4, there won't be one singular line of pony merchandise. This Generation has had the Friendship is Magic collection, the brushables, the Blind Bag figures, the Fan Series, the Funko Vinyls, among others.

While I can understand your concern, I don't think that there's anything worthy of dread here. Is it a shame that they are smaller than they used to be? That's completely subjective, but personally, I don't mind too much. I usually just stick to the higher end merchandise myself (like the Fan Series and Funko Vinyls, for instance).

• Brohoof 2

Pony toys not as big compared to previous iterations? Sounds like Hasbro are being a little too cost-effective at best or being cheapskates at worst or not getting enough money to produce them bigger in between. I’m curious to see if these pony toys get shrunk so far up that they become microscopic to the naked eye and soon implode upon itself. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

• The title was changed to This should be really concerning regarding toy size

Pretty much all products go through this downsizing with each new iteration.  The cost of Material, manufacturing, labor, etc. all go up, so to keep consumer prices at a reasonable level, they can either cut corners on the current line, or make'em smaller.  Between the two, most people prefer a smaller size.

12 minutes ago, Mortar said:

Between the two, most people prefer a smaller size.

I know I do. I can fit like 50 Friendship is Magic Collection characters on like one shelf.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I feel like Hasbro is missing out on a potential market for inflated versions of some of their toys. I have a couple of oversized versions of Transformers toys(3rd party though) and they’re insanely fun just to have around 

Spoiler

C70D3391-91BB-450C-9245-71127CB1C905.thumb.jpeg.0580bcdbcfedd4eee459dba03705883d.jpeg

I would love to see something similar done to some of the MLP toys, especially now that they’re adding articulation to their Pony toys. And I know kids would love to have massive versions of their favorite characters if they were available 

Edited by Whomps

4 hours ago, Whomps said:

I feel like Hasbro is missing out on a potential market for inflated versions of some of their toys. I have a couple of oversized versions of Transformers toys(3rd party though) and they’re insanely fun just to have around 

Hide contents

C70D3391-91BB-450C-9245-71127CB1C905.thumb.jpeg.0580bcdbcfedd4eee459dba03705883d.jpeg

I would love to see something similar done to some of the MLP toys, especially now that they’re adding articulation to their Pony toys. And I know kids would love to have massive versions of their favorite characters if they were available 

They did that already and like Transformers it was third party though. They sold well at first, until they didn't. Apparently it's only a temporary market. 

• 1 month later...

I don't find it super concerning, as like a lot of people on here already said, the smaller the ponies, the more you can fit on a shelf, and like they've also said, not all the ponies will be super small anyway. If I were you I would start buying more of the Funko Vinyls and Gardens of Harmony figurines, as those tend to be bigger in size when compared to things like the brushables, they're also higher in quality as well. :rarity:

Or you could just commission things like custom 3D printed ponies or custom figurines from artists, those tend to be bigger sized as well :ooh:

• 1 month later...

As an adult, I like small ponies for collecting a lot, but as a kid, my toys usually had to be 'best friend sized'. G3 and G1 ponies had sufficient mass that I was happy just taking one or two with me in car rides and such, whereas smaller toys were insufficient size to feel like 'friends', if you get what I mean. They were also small enough that I could play with them and brush their hair and have other toys ride them. As a kid, the current size of G4 brushables probably would have been the smallest I'd play with. The hard plastic bling bags probably would have been accessories, like toys for my dolls.

So, I hope, for the sake of kids, that they keep more adequately sized toys readily available at the current size or bigger (and more characters).

• Brohoof 1