Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Types Of BAD Role Players

Randimaxis

1012453709_1029345__safe_twilightsparkle_rainbowdash_pinkiepie_fluttershy_rarity_applejack_animated_smiling_cute.gif.64065a6fda75a4c0c2b5e79e60ddec5f.gif

Okay, so we're all a part of this great, big world, right?  Each one of us merely a blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things, yet our own existence is all we know... and so, we act accordingly and do what we can to improve our lot, catch up to and surpass our debts, and ally ourselves with many people in the process.

Honestly, who has time for bad roleplayers?

But, there are a number of archetypes in the RP realm who are seen as the spawn of a shoggoth, and are avoided like the plague once they're discovered for what they are.  And it may take a while to spot them - some can hide in a game for YEARS before the ugly truth steps out of the shadows...

This is what I am hoping to be a comprehensive list of many of the common types of BAD roleplayers out there, and perhaps a bit of insight as to their motivations and thoughts that brought them to such a lowly state.  I also plan to give these different personifications funny names, as that should help lessen the blow to those folks out there who ARE these things and realize it while they're reading it.

So, without further ado... or even further adon't...

tumblr_mfb6l83wxP1r5jtugo1_500.gif.516a29c081fec12a8304d49d1dd35774.gif

[#5: Squeaky Wheels ]

"You all make your way to the top of the stairs, and you see the next chamber is filled with kobolds-"

"Kobolds!?  I don't have the right kind of weapon to deal with Kobolds!  I'm at 17 hit points, and Torg drank the last healing potion three rounds ago!  Why do you have to make it Kobolds?  And why are there so many of them?  You're putting too much on us!  It's not fair!"

"... oh, for cryin' out loud..."

"Dude, c'mon - we're ALL hurt."

"Yeah, but YOU guys are FIGHTERS - I'm just a ROGUE!"

"Well, you picked it..."

"But WHY do ROGUES have to BE so WEEEEEEEAK???"

"... what a baby..."

Squeaky Wheels are those players who seem to yell out, 'that's not fair!' at least twice per game; they believe that, if they pester the DM long enough, they can get rule changes, advantages and rewards for simply presenting themselves as weaker/lesser than the other characters.  Mind you, they could have made a better character, or gotten themselves involved in something else, or they might have even tried to come up with a clever plan... but instead of these things, they would much rather wail and gnash their teeth than simply play the game as it is.

DMs, listen closely: DO NOT ALLOW SQUEAKY WHEELS TO GET THEIR WAY.

Mind you, if it's a legit issue (other PCs MASSIVELY overleveled or actual mistake on DM's part) then pay attention to it and deal with it properly... but when you actually give in to the infantile whines about how 'everyone else has it better than I do' and go easy on them... oh, honeychile... NOW you've set a precedent, and the Squeaker will now push EVEN HARDER to get that favoritism, because they got away with it before - so they can do it again.  Or at least they honestly believe so.

[Preferred Treatment: Ignore the whining, or inform them that they are sucking the fun out of the game and need to keep their whining to themselves.]

imageproxy.gif.de799e87e44770dcc007a5c8da88e9aa.gif

[#4: Billy / Billie Badass ]

"The town guard patrol comes to a stop right in front of you; seems they're searching for the culprits who stole the queen's favorite golden harp - you know, the one Divitz stole last night?"

"Ohh, boy..."

"But they're not hostile - in fact, they've heard of your adventures, and they want to know if you want to joi-"

"I pull out my longsword and run the nearest guard through."

"Wha-whu... what?"

"Yeah - these guys ain't gonna catch ME!"

"But there's EIGHT of them.  And they think we DIDN'T do it.  If we work this right, we can get away scott fre-"

"Nope; killin' 'em."

"DUDE!"

"C'mon - they'll kill us all!"

"No they won't - I'M KING SHIT OF TURD MOUNTAIN, BITCHES!  If ya CAN'T KEEP UP, then you SHOULDA MADE A FIGHTER!"

"... *sigh* roll for initiative..."

These are the folks who don't think that there's any threat to their character's well-being - they charge into the fray, usually right in the center, screaming some inane battle cry or some such thing.  They have it in their minds that they're about to open up a can of Whoop-Ass right then & there, and there will be blood on the blade tonight!

The rest of the party?  Pssssh, to HELL with them!

This kind of roleplayer wants to get the glory - but they're willing to simply charge right into the heart of things, usually without a plan at all.  They also tend to treat the rest of the group as negligible at best... at worst, they simply don't care if the others live or die, as long as THEY have fun.  Carefully constructed plots, character background stories, helping a fellow PC in need - these are things that, to a Billy Badass, only 'slow them down' when it comes to showing off on the battlefield.

[Preferred Treatment: Tell them they need to calm their actions down and work WITH the group... or they can go find another game to play.]

Discord_go_on.gif.269c4b0549b12e1670c2a8aac93b5bf6.gif

[#3: Evil Weevil ]

"Okay, you've knocked out & tied up the possessed innkeeper, and have stashed him next to his unconscious wife in their room; now you can start looking for the cursed sword that caused this trouble."

"I'm checking the wall mounts for any ornamental swords on display."

"I'll check behind the bar - might be there for defense purposes."

"I sneak back while the rest of them are searching and slit the innkeeper's throat..."

"What?  WHY!?"

"Dude - COME ON."

"Hey, read my character sheet - it says, 'Neutral EVIL'.  I gotta play evil."

"But-"

"And I kill the wife, too."

"DUDE!"

"Hey... 'EVIL', remember?"

Playing an evil character in a good campaign can be fascinating, as the players get to witness how grey areas come to be, and how even the most heroic party can have its' bad seeds... but I'm not talking about those players.  I'm talking about the ones who do all manner of things simply because they are evil.

Evil should have reasons WHY they do what they do - villains of any worth have a plan (or at least a goal) in mind when they commit vile acts, and the ones who don't act with a plan at least have some form of sense behind what they do.  To have a character who simply 'is what they are' is unimaginative, and tends to make the party feel awkward and harried, even if they don't do anything directly TO the PCs.

For the record, the 'evil' PCs who simply 'do what they do' to to their own group?  There's a SPECIAL level of Hell for you bastards.

[Preferred Treatment: Explain that either they dial back the despicable acts a little bit, or they can make another character - with restrictions against anything evil.]

ZxFEB.gif.49199d7ec07cde2025e72a00935b5539.gif

[#2: Bookbob Rulepants ]

"... and the dragon lets loose with a MASSIVE-"

"STOP."

"... what the Hell?  WHAT!?"

"According to the rules about dragons, here in section five, page 248, third column, it says that dragons have a cap on their breath weapon damage, and that anything this dragon could breathe on us would be a direct attack; there would be no 'massive' anything."

"Look, I'm going for dramatic effect, here-"

"Then get a bigger dragon; you told us this was a young adult, yes?"

"Yes, I did.  He-"

"Then according to the rules, he should only be capable of letting out a jet of flame that is only 3 feet wide, and 16 feet long - like he's been doing the whole time."

"BUT I'M RUNNING THE GAME!"

"Well, I'd at least have hoped you'd know HOW to run it.  I mean, your guide's right there..."

"... can I backstab him?"

"NO... I have a class multiplier that can negate the effects of a backstab; right here, in section two, page 87, fifth column..."

When the DM is telling a story, the plot is ALL important.  It even says in many rulebooks for games that IF the rules get in the way, then ignore them for the scene and move along.  This leads to tales of fantasy and adventure that would have been stifled by rules that were supposed to represent how to deal with the normal stuff in adventures.  The ABnormal stuff is the thing that happens when something unexplainable happens... when things just don't make sense... or when things happen that have no answer or apparently obvious reason.  Life itself breaks rules all the time, and there's always going to be something that cannot be planned for, no matter how much you think you're ready.

BB RP folks are the ones who will REFUSE to see anything capable outside of the given ruleset, and will step on a DM's creativity in a heartbeat.  They feel the need to push on others that the RULES run the game, not the DM - and will force EVERYTHING that happens to be according to this rule or that.  What's worse is when they won't back down, disrupting the game and raising a stink until they are satisfied that they have shuttered every window of mystique and wonder tightly, allowing ZERO room for imagination or embellishment.

Rules are guidelines; when they become the ONLY things possible in a game, they become shackles to those who would be doing wondrous, fantastic things... if it wasn't for the killjoy with the rulebook over there.

[Preferred Treatment: Show them where it says the DM's rules overshadow the ruleset - if they don't like it, tough.]

[And finally, #1: MARY SUE ]

my_little_pony_mary_sue_2_by_miriraartz-dauaj4r.thumb.png.0b300c45d322072c486c66434bee14e7.png

"I'm HERE!  NOW we can play!  I brought Fennestri, my twentieth-level mage, twenty-first level priest, twenty-seventh level rogue and thirtieth-level fighter!"

"Great... whatever.  See ya later, everybody."

"Wait... wha..?"

"Yeah - I'm out."

"But... b-but WHY?"

"Because Fennestri SUCKS.  She always gets the treasure, always wins the battle, always bests the enemy singlehandedly and..."

"AND!?  Isn't that AWESOMENESS PERSONIFIED!?!?"

"Yeah... if you're Fennestri.  See ya."

Mary Sues are characters who are the BE-ALL, END-ALL, MOST POWAHFUL EVAAAAAAH... and they suck the fun out of a game for anyone who ISN'T them - including the DM.  A Mary Sue is usually the creation of someone new to RPs, who doesn't know they can split several choices of neat stuff over multiple characters... and try to put it ALL into a single PC.  When it's an honest gaffe, then it's okay - as long as they fix the problem points and make the character more flawed or not as powerful...

... then, there are the folks who actually roleplay with these abominations... and they think they're cool for doing it.

Typically, if a Mary Sue can accomplish everything necessary to 'win' the game without help from anyone else (because they're so awesome, blah blah blah), then what are the other characters there for?  I mean, they want to play too - not just watch someone else have all the fun.  And if players aren't playing, then you'll lose players.  Except for the Mary Sue; they'll browbeat you with their POWAAAAAH for as long as they can get away with forcing a DM to continue running a story with one in it.

And trust me, if they find someone who ALLOWS them to do their Mary Sue thing?  They become insufferable turds, and should be flushed with the morning poop as soon as possible before they begin to think it's okay to rule the game and make everyone their bitch.

[Preferred Treatment: Point, laugh and say, 'okay, now let's make you a REAL character', and throw the Mary Sue sheet into the incinerator. ]

Try to help change these players if you can, ignore them if you can't, and FOR LUNA'S SAKE, don't ever become one... and you should have a great time roleplaying.  :umad:

• Brohoof 6

I love every bit of this and I don't even roleplay. Randi for RP president!

(oh wait...)

Seriously though! My husband got me into tabletop RPGs (like 12 years ago) and he had his two best friends, my old roommate and another friend of ours over to play in English and every one of us was at least one of these at some point. So RPs devolved into bickering and hours of double-checking rules and rebuilding characters. 9~6

(edited)

*gradually appearing, unnaturally wide grin*

Randi, buddy! Did you do a thing that I can COMMENT on~?

To use my own corruption on the phrase, I'll play the part of Discord's Advocate! Because, after all, how do we draw out the creative blood without a prick?

I will acquiesce. Entertaining sure, and I'm only recently getting into D&D & Ponyfinder myself. I know not more than a few bouts of YouTube vids will allow. What I DO know though...

See, didn't really go all that deep as to why they do what they do. I happen to enjoy Mary Sues. Hilarious, if nothing else! I often find myself roiling in the Losers' Corner with the other souls who never really paid attention to what the Game's rules were. But there was an undercurrent there to your types.

Fear.

Wait, I dramatically say that about everything. Rather, it's wanting to play the game "right." Every being brings their own lens & filter to the comunal kaleidoscope!

" We're here to kill stuff, right? Why shouldn't I disembowel everything I can reach at all times? We'll get done faster, won't we?"

"We MUST play by the rules! At all times! Without the rules, we have chaos, arguments! And none of you are leaving me- I mean, this Table!"

"So, it's, like, group storytelling, huh? Then the story has to be about me cause I don't know anything better than me sos I have to be the bestest shiny all-magical Explosion Princess so everypony involved has the most fun and finally likes me!!"

But that's not how Life & Adventure works. Fictional or otherwise. Least, if you want to be believable. 

There's no "Right Way" to do much of anything in Life or Adventure. You go, you see what you can get up to & work with with those you meet along the way! It's why I've taken a sparkle to Roleplay, tabletop or otherwise! Seeing it as just objectives or expectations is the only real way to ruin it for others & yourself.

Oh! And you should totally cover the famous "Murder Hobo!" 

"…so, can I sever his head off and take it with me?"

DM: "What?! WHY!?"

"For..... magical reagents!"

DM: "But… I'm pretty sure no one uses faces for magic… and you're not even a spellcas-"

" I WANT HIS BLEEDING SKULL ON MY BELT!! Mwahaha!"

Edited by Widdershins
  • Brohoof 1

This is an excelent type of list of people you should avoid roleplaying with, i dont know if you covered this, but theres also types of roleplayers that will flat out murder/injure other peoples character evsn if they didnt estabolish themselves as a thread.

it's flat out annoying to just try and get from Point A to Point B in a roleplay without getting sent to kingdom come by a ax-crazy roleplayer.

• Brohoof 1

There is nothing wrong with sticking to the rules. It is unfair, by definition, to ignore the rules to make things tougher for the players. If you want a more powerful monster then put one in. But changing the rules without informing the players ahead of time and getting their consent makes an arbitrary game.

You forgot a couple.

• Those who refuse to pay attention, learn or get a clue, possibly due to not paying attention. Spelling it out for them constantly slows any game down. I will also include those who really don't like to make any decisions on their own in this group.
  • Those who derail the game because it does not correspond to how the real world and physics work. I ran across these types more with fall damage more than any other issue.
  • Those who can't get into the game because they are more interested in talking about or involving stuff outside of the game, so much so it influences or interferes with the game itself.
  • Players who stew over whatever issues they have in game instead of getting it out early so they can move forward. Character envy, loot envy and DM resentment are some examples.
  • Creepy & Inappropriate players. They exist, nuff said.
  • The snobs. Players that have been playing far longer and tend to be obnoxious or condescending to players with less or little experience.

There are probably others I am not thinking about.

9 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

[And finally, #1: MARY SUE ]

my_little_pony_mary_sue_2_by_miriraartz-dauaj4r.thumb.png.0b300c45d322072c486c66434bee14e7.png

"I'm HERE!  NOW we can play!  I brought Fennestri, my twentieth-level mage, twenty-first level priest, twenty-seventh level rogue and thirtieth-level fighter!"

"Great... whatever.  See ya later, everybody."

"Wait... wha..?"

"Yeah - I'm out."

"But... b-but WHY?"

"Because Fennestri SUCKS.  She always gets the treasure, always wins the battle, always bests the enemy singlehandedly and..."

"AND!?  Isn't that AWESOMENESS PERSONIFIED!?!?"

"Yeah... if you're Fennestri.  See ya."

Mary Sues are characters who are the BE-ALL, END-ALL, MOST POWAHFUL EVAAAAAAH... and they suck the fun out of a game for anyone who ISN'T them - including the DM.  A Mary Sue is usually the creation of someone new to RPs, who doesn't know they can split several choices of neat stuff over multiple characters... and try to put it ALL into a single PC.  When it's an honest gaffe, then it's okay - as long as they fix the problem points and make the character more flawed or not as powerful...

... then, there are the folks who actually roleplay with these abominations... and they think they're cool for doing it.

Typically, if a Mary Sue can accomplish everything necessary to 'win' the game without help from anyone else (because they're so awesome, blah blah blah), then what are the other characters there for?  I mean, they want to play too - not just watch someone else have all the fun.  And if players aren't playing, then you'll lose players.  Except for the Mary Sue; they'll browbeat you with their POWAAAAAH for as long as they can get away with forcing a DM to continue running a story with one in it.

And trust me, if they find someone who ALLOWS them to do their Mary Sue thing?  They become insufferable turds, and should be flushed with the morning poop as soon as possible before they begin to think it's okay to rule the game and make everyone their bitch

Best part ever, I can't stop laughing at it :squee:

I don't buy this idea that a "flawed" character is better. I play a fantasy game to escape reality. Part of that means being more than what I am in real life. There can be challenges to overcome without being burdened by a self imposed problem.

"No, I refuse to use this +5 vorpal sword  because my character wants to use the sword his father gave him." Whatever. I hate players get up their own ass about how awesome "role players" they are. Like they have to role play buying stuff at the store. 

Flaws make a character interesting tho. Believe me, playing with someone who's character is perfect and all powerful soon sucks the fun out of an RP for everypony, simply cuz if a character is perfect, then what's the point of making a story arc for them, if they cannot improve and/or grow as a character?

I will state however that you don't need to nerf your character right down to pass muster; I have RPed with characters who are powerful, talented and even immortal, but have flaws which stop them being perfect. For example; one of my characters is immortal and invulnerable. However, he has no imagination or creativity, meaning that someone could be plotting right next to him and he wouldn't notice. In one RP, a character was backstabbing the main group for ages, and he didn't notice, simply cuz it wouldn't ever occur to him that someone would do that.

1 hour ago, BronyNumber 2nd Amendment said:

I don't buy this idea that a "flawed" character is better.

The choice belongs to the player; each of us has our own ideal character creation system, and my opinion is just that - my opinion.

For what it's worth, I've played a game or two with powerful characters who have let the party have fun with them; those folks are awesomeness personified.  However, I've also played in roughly 25+ games where some OP Mary Sue has spoiled the fun for everyone else - those are the ones I'm mentioning here.

If you're one of those first powerful types, kudos - it's hard to do.

But I find my story in my character's flaws.  I use the idea of Frodo as an example:

If he was a mage, or a capable & rich person, or just called that Roc in from the get-go?  Well, the book would have been over reeeeeeeally quickly, and forget about any movies.  However, Frodo had a list of flaws an orc's arm length long... and those flaws enriched his character so much.  Overcoming them is, to me, one of the things that makes him stand apart from the rest of the heroes in the story; our escapism in this is presented as a challenge that, though difficult, can be won out by even the smallest of us.

To win an ass-kicking contest is a great story... but it becomes EPIC if you only have one leg.  :balloon:

"No, I refuse to use this +5 vorpal sword  because my character wants to use the sword his father gave him." Whatever.

What if that character's player had written up an amazing background, where he has such a reverence for said sword that each time he kills a foe with it, he feels as though he has restored some honor to his desecrated family name?  Who knows?  Perhaps he actually gets a random bonus to hit with this weapon, due to his specialties?  Maybe the sword is actually an artifact in disguise already, and he just doesn't know it yet?

Blatantly just tossing away a Vorpal weapon IS nuts, I agree... but if there's an actual reason for it, it enriches the campaign world by adding to the sub-plot - or maybe the main plot, in the long run - and making it feel as though the world around your characters isn't just flat cardboard.

I hate players get up their own ass about how awesome "role players" they are. Like they have to role play buying stuff at the store. 

Admittedly, the tediousness of sitting there while other players chat with the shopkeep is a bit of a drag... and honestly, if it's holding up things THAT much, then dispense with it.  Unnecessary interactions are slow poison to a game.

However, if the whole group wants to do this, then it's their call.  I happen to be someone who 'gets into' their character, yet I don't have to be IC the WHOLE time I'm at the table... usually, if others are RPing, I follow suit.  Unless I see a unique opportunity to learn or do something special, I usually just give the DM a list of what I purchase, then move on to the story once more.

I will say that some of the best lines I've ever heard in RPs are ones with origins in mundane roleplaying; it's funny how conversations can turn, y'know?

8 hours ago, BronyNumber 2nd Amendment said:

There is nothing wrong with sticking to the rules. It is unfair, by definition, to ignore the rules to make things tougher for the players. If you want a more powerful monster then put one in. But changing the rules without informing the players ahead of time and getting their consent makes an arbitrary game.

You are correct.

The rules are there as guidelines, printed so that they can be considered barriers as to what is and is not possible by not only the players, but of the game itself.  They give finite limits as to what to expect, and for those who follow those rules, it's also a form of safety - you know that the rules state that you are safe within certain limits, and it leaves you free to ponder what can be done within the confines of the game realm.

But rules don't cover everything.

Sometimes, the unexpected happens... sometimes you get a lucky break, or the spirits decide to guide your party, or maybe the DM simply has to add a Deus Ex Machina to keep the game from utterly falling apart in front of them.  Regardless of why, there are things that cannot be explained by the ruleset; written by humans, it's not designed to be a firm-set system at ALL times... when it's dramatically appropriate, an inexplicable mystery can make a grand story into one even better, that you tell for ages.  

Rules are important, yes - and I'm not saying otherwise.  I'm simply stating that the folks who make an enormous deal out of every single little detail of the game are just as ridiculous and annoying as those who roleplay every single little moment... when used in TIGHT moderation, going beyond the rules can add a level of mystique and wonder that can make a campaign truly unforgettable.

@Randimaxis I think you are backing off your initial statements, which is fine.

As for "flawed" characters, they are good in books or movies. If I'm writing a book then I can guarantee that the hero will win, or lose, or do whatever I want to happen. With your example of Frodo, if he were a D&D character then maybe he would be dead in the first round of combat. It is not fair to compare a game to character where the author wasn't going to let that character die. But in a game, there is no guarantee of what will happen. If I'm going to be fighting monsters and putting myself in mortal danger, then damn right I want every advantage I can get!

A RPG is a game, it is not merely a different way to tell a story. If you have fun by dying heroically because you had a sub optimal character, then I'm not going to argue. That's what you want to do. But me, and a lot of people, see the challenge of the game itself. It's like a puzzle. There is plenty of challenge as it is without me having to cut off my own arm just because it is interesting.

As for changing the rules, I also don't like when DM's use the excuse "it's my game, so suck it!" If I throw acid on the troll, and the DM says, "Oh, uh, no, because my trolls are immune to acid." What? Since when? You can't just make stuff up without reasonable prior notice. If you started the game by listing how your game was different from the rules, then I have the chance to agree or disagree. But if you just throw out the rules then that is not a game. I have written on this in a blog already.

Just now, BronyNumber 2nd Amendment said:

I think you are backing off your initial statements

No, merely attempting to further explain how I see things; I admit I can be wrong about truths, but my opinion is just that.

1 minute ago, BronyNumber 2nd Amendment said:

With your example of Frodo, if he were a D&D character then maybe he would be dead in the first round of combat.

Not with a competent party around him, he wouldn't - but I get what you're implying.

2 minutes ago, BronyNumber 2nd Amendment said:

If I'm going to be fighting monsters and putting myself in mortal danger, then damn right I want every advantage I can get!

And that's what the rules are for - to define what you CAN get.

I'm talking about the people who nitpick every tiny detail to the point where they're disrupting the game; general rules discussions happen, and checking the rules to see what you potentially have at your disposal is what many successful characters do.  But when the rules get in the way of EVERYONE having fun, then it's acceptable (in my opinion) to put them aside for a moment and just do what you do.

I'm NOT saying, 'eschew the rules completely, from start to finish'; I'm talking about an instance, maaaaaaaybe two.  Per campaign arc.  

12 minutes ago, BronyNumber 2nd Amendment said:

A RPG is a game, it is not merely a different way to tell a story.

It's both, actually.

A good roleplay usually consists of multiple people weaving a story between them and the DM, and your character interacts in that story.  To define it as completely one or the other is being inaccurate, as it contains elements of both... or at least it should.

14 minutes ago, BronyNumber 2nd Amendment said:

As for changing the rules, I also don't like when DM's use the excuse "it's my game, so suck it!" If I throw acid on the troll, and the DM says, "Oh, uh, no, because my trolls are immune to acid." What? Since when? You can't just make stuff up without reasonable prior notice.

Again, I'm NOT saying 'throw out the rules'; I'm saying it adds an element of the unexpected when it happens once in a while.

As to trolls and acid, yeah - THAT kind of rule-dropping is a problem.  If there's a REASON the trolls are immune (an evil wizard's ward, the acid was diluted by heavy rain, etc.), then that's acceptable.  But just 'for no reason' with tiny, piddly stuff is the mark of an uncreative DM.  

• 2 months later...

In forum RP, those people are called godmoders and, apart from mary sues, are just the worst. There's nothing fun about role-playing with a player who refuses to let their character get hurt and who pulls a deux ex machina out of their butt at any given moment. It just sucks the enjoyment from the role play for everyone else.

• 10 months later...

I can find ways to work around most of them except for Evil weevil, or as I call them, Mr. "It's what my character would do" , It's a lot harder to keep a plot if he decides to kill every plot point that walks by. 

I dunno how to feel about Squeeky Wheels, I feel for them, I really do, Most often I find their complaints stem from inexperience rather than dependence. If it's a new player I always try to inform them that fighting is just an option not a requisite and even then there's more than one way to fight than head on...In the Kobolds case, given the nature of their race I'd hint pretty hard that he might want use his proficiency in deception...especially since he might have a higher charisma stat than the Fighters.

I kinda imagine the Rogue running in bloodied along with his/her injured companions screaming something like

"Everybody run! The Orcs are invading the Dungeon! They've slaughtered our army and They're leaving no survivors!" 

• Brohoof 1

There's also the "Speshul Snowflake" player, who takes it as a mortal insult if anypony dares to dislike their character or disapprove of their actions.