Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why would a pony wear a saddle?

Senko

I was wondering about Saddle Arabia and while I know the name is a pun it got me wondering if there's a country called saddle . . . then they probably know about them so what would a pony/horse actually use a saddle for? Right now the only explanation I can think of is a kind of emergency services gurney type situation.

• Brohoof 1

Saddles act a cushioning barrier and a means for attaching heavy loads. Ponies probably used more of a pack mule saddle style for practical purposes, but overtime it has also evolved into a clothing item. Historically the slave trade was active in and around the region that Saddle Arabia is based on up until the end of the 19th century, so I like to imagine the nation name and use of saddles being seen as a more recent badge of honor against such oppressive systems.

Fashion and functionality. Saddles allow heavier saddle bags since weight is supported and distributed differently. The one Twilight wears also had what looked like a wool lining so warmth may also be a factor. 

• Brohoof 1

Since saddles have shown up as a non-functional item in some pony outfits, I decided to look at it another way.

The saddles we've seen are probably supposed to be evolved from pack saddles. Actual pack saddles look different from riding saddles (as different types of riding saddles actually look significantly different from each other), but I doubt the artists/animators know that. They just see 'saddle' in the script and do the standard cartoon saddle. So this is likely an item that used to be functional, but has changed into a decorative item over time.

There are several items of clothing that are currently worn as part of outfits that used to be functional but are decorative now, and are only worn as part of specific outfits. Ties, corsets, etc. So likely to ponies the 'saddle' has much the same meaning as 'ties' have to us. It's a thing that is worn, but nobody really asks why anymore.

Though it amuses me to think that for ponies the saddle occupies the same cultural niche as corsets for us. Which means that someone talked naive Twilight into wearing a somewhat salacious outfit for Winter Wrap Up as a prank. A reason why she dumped it early on, when she clued in. It was probably Rainbow Dash. ;)

• Brohoof 3

Tch, now it will look like I'm taking ideas from other people. I have had my eyes on pack saddles for years. Where else is one to store all the gear, food, and other necessities?

Also Zamburaks aka the original party cannoneers:

u-u0hk6vQkpc5psJZhairo1iWK7BI-DgGQtYR2d0eIk.jpg.228a0cb5de82edeb6d3c226fc6744ef9.jpg

Why wouldn't you wear a saddle?

All sorts of useful information I didn't know here thanks for the replies. Sorry I can't write more of a response have to leave for work.

1 hour ago, Fhaolan said:

Though it amuses me to think that for ponies the saddle occupies the same cultural niche as corsets for us. Which means that someone talked naive Twilight into wearing a somewhat salacious outfit for Winter Wrap Up as a prank. A reason why she dumped it early on, when she clued in. It was probably Rainbow Dash. ;)

I like that idea.