Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your reaction if the US and Canada were under Japanese rule?

FirePuppy

Some of you learned about a few Asian countries that were once under Japanese rule until 1945 in world history class at school, but what would your reaction be, had the Surrender of Japan failed, and the US and Canada's last presidents were Franklin Roosevelt and Mackenzie King before they were both replaced by Hirohito?

Edited by FirePuppy
  • Brohoof 1

Considering the crimes against humanity that the japanese committed in the places that they conquered, I can't imagine that them winning the war would lead to anything good.

• Brohoof 3

Heinlein (who did quite a few speculative fiction and alternate history books) wrote one called "The Day After Tomorrow" which was based around a successful japanese takeover of the states (not unlike the Dick novel "The Man in the High Castle" but with Japanese rather than Germans)

• Brohoof 1

The Axis powers could never win ww2, they were small nations, sure they had impressive militaries but they went up against the 3 most powerful nations on the Planet: USA, USSR, and UK. Japan would never have the industrial and military might to conquer the US and Canada, and if they had managed to invade somehow, their invasion would be heavily defeated and Japan would have been treated alot harsher.

Japan had around 71,380,000 people, while America had 123,202,624 people, and Canada had 11 million. I do not see how Japan would ever conquer the United States, and if they managed to do so, America would fight until the bitter end, not until Japanese rule over America is pushed out until the last man, Canada wouldn't surrender either, both nations would refuse to be under the influence of an asian power, and keep in mind racism at this time towards them was an at all time high, and we would hate them even more.

So, they would never conquer the United States or Canada ever. Period.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, Califorum said:

The Axis powers could never win ww2, they were small nations, sure they had impressive militaries but they went up against the 3 most powerful nations on the Planet: USA, USSR, and UK. Japan would never have the industrial and military might to conquer the US and Canada, and if they had managed to invade somehow, their invasion would be heavily defeated and Japan would have been treated alot harsher.

Japan had around 71,380,000 people, while America had 123,202,624 people, and Canada had 11 million. I do not see how Japan would ever conquer the United States, and if they managed to do so, America would fight until the bitter end, not until Japanese rule over America is pushed out until the last man, Canada wouldn't surrender either, both nations would refuse to be under the influence of an asian power, and keep in mind racism at this time towards them was an at all time high, and we would hate them even more.

So, they would never conquer the United States or Canada ever. Period.

Not so fast!

Canada's population is still smaller than Japan's – by about 3 times.

Edited by FirePuppy

The Axis would have chance if Adolf Hitler would've listen to few of his advisors about retreating to fight another day. But Hitler was stubborn to retreat which leads his men to getting slaughter. And if the japan would've never bomb the American base.  But here's a thing, even if Japan lose against the US, that will not mean the Germans has lost. The German lost to the Russian. People keep thinking that if you take one party down, the whole party will fall apart. No, when the japan lost, they loses the control for Asia. When the Germans lost, they loses the control for Europe.

The Japan wanted to take over Asia and the Germans wanted to take over Europe. Taking over the north and the south America is not their region or their interests to take over. Unless one of them decided to declared war on us to take our land. But unlikely. Hitler acknowledged the strength of the America, so he wouldn't bother to conquer the US or Canada. Japan has no interests in extending other than in Asia, so there's no reason for them to take over US or Canada. That's usually a common misunderstanding people have when they think if the axis power have won, they will take over the whole world. 

To take over the world you would have to be a super villain from a comic book  to do that. 

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, TBD said:

The Axis would have chance if Adolf Hitler would've listen to few of his advisors about retreating to fight another day. But Hitler was stubborn to retreat which leads his men to getting slaughter. And if the japan would've never bomb the American base.  But here's a thing, even if Japan lose against the US, that will not mean the Germans has lost. The German lost to the Russian. People keep thinking that if you take one party down, the whole party will fall apart. No, when the japan lost, they loses the control for Asia. When the Germans lost, they loses the control for Europe.

The Japan wanted to take over Asia and the Germans wanted to take over Europe. Taking over the north and the south America is not their region or their interests to take over. Unless one of them decided to declared war on us to take our land. But unlikely. Hitler acknowledged the strength of the America, so he wouldn't bother to conquer the US or Canada. Japan has no interests in extending other than in Asia, so there's no reason for them to take over US or Canada. That's usually a common misunderstanding people have when they think if the axis power have won, they will take over the whole world. 

To take over the world you would have to be a super villain from a comic book  to do that. 

Wow! The way I see all this, my brain is a lot smaller than I thought.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Wow! The way I see all this, my brain is a lot smaller than I thought.

haha, I used to feel the same way too when I used to think it would that easy. but it's never hurt to learn new things every day:mlp_smug:

Edited by TBD

There's no scenario where that would have happened. The US could build ships multitudes of times faster than the Japanese. Even if the Japanese had a lucky streak and somehow actually won the Battle of Midway (which I could link a video discussing why there's absolutely no way they could have, but I'm too lazy to look for it), the US would have won in the end due to the fact that the US shipyards were far more efficient with building and repairing ships. 

I could quite easily see GERMANY winning though if they had not made a LOT of bad tactical mistakes and that would be awful indeed, but that would be a bit off-topic.

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Califorum said:

I humbly disagree with your basis on numerical superiority and the American/Canadian mentality my friend. Germany had a population of 69,300,000 people and lost up to 5,318,000 soldiers in the conflict. They may have lost, but they went up against the powers of Great Britain, France, Soviet Union, and the United States, along with many smaller nations. Now I don't have the total number of people lost from the opposing side, but we know it's significantly bigger, and from the countries I did list, their combined populations would have been over 400,000,000. Eventually numbers did win out, but at a heavy price, with several moments that looked like it'd be the end for the allies.

And back during the first world war, Both the German and Russian Empire lost roughly 2,000,000 soldiers each, but Germany was fighting on two fronts and was victorious on the eastern front. Without the brute enforcement to continue the fight from Stalin, I doubt the later Soviet Union would have held up.

Japan was primarily fighting the Chinese and the Americans for the duration of the war. They may have been outnumbered, but not by any super imposing means. And as much as we'd love to picture ourselves fighting till there's nothing left to fight for, that's not hw we operate. Americans get tired from war. We've seen that in Vietnam, and in the Middle East, where we similarly had to go up against people who refuse to surrender and will use guerilla tactics. Had we not dropped the bombs and the Soviet Union not offered to help clean up in the Pacific, Japan would have kept on fighting, and the United States would have lost millions more men to the war. America is willing to throw every able bodied man at its enemies. Japan was willing to throw every man, women and child, no matter what their condition, into the fray.

Although I don't think it would have been possible for Japan to control any significant portion of US or Canadian territory for very long, they very well may have had the means to hold them at bay, and secure their hold on the western half of the pacific. 

• Brohoof 1

If Imperial Japan conquered the United States (even though, let’s be honest, they had no chance. We would have reduced them to ash before that happened) then we would be nothing like we are today. Nor would Japan. Non imperial Japan has brought some good stuff to the world and none of it would exist if it was still in power. Although anime might not exist I still think it would be terrible. 

5 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

I think I saw the movie like that, alternative history where Japan conquered Korea. It didn't ended up that good for Koreans

That probably wasn't alternative history, Japan DID actually conquer Korea in world war 2.

6 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

That probably wasn't alternative history, Japan DID actually conquer Korea in world war 2.

Lost Memories (2009): but they didn't keep it:P, I am sorry I should have been more specific.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, SharpWit said:

Had we not dropped the bombs and the Soviet Union not offered to help clean up in the Pacific, Japan would have kept on fighting, and the United States would have lost millions more men to the war. America is willing to throw every able bodied man at its enemies. Japan was willing to throw every man, women and child, no matter what their condition, into the fray.

Not necessarily. That to the death mentality was more the military state of mind rather than the average citizen. The military treated their captives brutally, and believed that the same would come to them should they surrender. It was less patriotism and stubborn tenacity, and more downright fear of what would happen if they did give up.  There were times when Japan tried to negotiate a surrender, but the allies didn't approve of the terms. Hirohito's military advisers were the ones who convinced him that the war was winnable. But after the fire bombings, the sinking of their fleets and the resource rationing was taking it's toll, prospects of victory were looking grim in the emperor's eyes. The nukes and the threat of Russian invasion only sealed the deal.  

1 hour ago, Kevin Tang said:

Bombing the Pearl harbor was Japanese's biggest mistake in WWII

Actually, it may have been what saved them in a way. Because if Japan didn't go after the states, they would've expanded west, to Russia. And Russia wouldn't be so forgiving of Japan's actions. The soviets weren't discriminatory between the combatants and civilians of an enemy nation. While they probably would've launched their own operation Olympic onto the islands, the goals would've less been to force a surrender, and more towards outright inhalation of Japan itself.  Most likely, Japan would've become a literal eastern block country, and would no way be the economic and cultural center it is today. 

As for the OP, I'm having a difficult time picturing this. If the allies just surrendered out of the blue, there would be riots in the streets. Soldiers and civilians alike would reject Japanese rule and American government would cease to exist without the backing of it's citizens. Officially, the war would be done. But the coastal cities would be a war zone with millions of potential combatants awaiting the Japanese arrival, and that's if vast swaths of the military don't go awol and continue the war anyways. 

A military victory is even more unlikely. Japan was resource starved at wars end. They wouldn't be able to hold a state let alone a coast of a continent. Fighting a land war in the U.S. would be fool hardy. Really, we toyed with Japan for the first 4 years. And they barely managed to hold it together then. Had we ignored Germany and focused our efforts on Japan, the pacific theater would've been closed out in a year, two tops. So I don't see Japan, not only assembling invasions that would dwarf the scale of the Normandy landings, not only repeating them for every major port city from Anchorage to Baja Mexicali, not only establishing and fortifying beach heads, but also maintaining all of that across the worlds largest ocean against an onslaught of american resistance and retaliation. 

2 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Don't forget that those Koreans were later to blame over entirely banning or bootlegging every product I remember.

By the way, shouldn't this topic be more focused on our countries being conquered instead of them?

I don't see it happening anyway, US has to be extremely incompetent for it to be conquered by the Japan in WW2, and Japan berely has any reasons to fight US (except the desperate need of oil)

8 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Not necessarily. That to the death mentality was more the military state of mind rather than the average citizen. The military treated their captives brutally, and believed that the same would come to them should they surrender. It was less patriotism and stubborn tenacity, and more downright fear of what would happen if they did give up.  There were times when Japan tried to negotiate a surrender, but the allies didn't approve of the terms. Hirohito's military advisers were the ones who convinced him that the war was winnable. But after the fire bombings, the sinking of their fleets and the resource rationing was taking it's toll, prospects of victory were looking grim in the emperor's eyes. The nukes and the threat of Russian invasion only sealed the deal.  

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/08/05/world/how-japan-got-ready-for-suicide.html?module=ArrowsNav&contentCollection=World&action=keypress&region=FixedLeft&pgtype=article

That mentality was based on cultural ideology, not military doctrine, and was shared across all of Japanese society.

8 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

Don't forget that those Koreans were later to blame over entirely banning or bootlegging every product I remember.

How is that relevant? 

Besides, it was fairly justified. Japan did some pretty fucked up things in Korea so I can understand why Korea might want to limit Japan's cultural influence.

• Brohoof 2