Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

OK to like Disney, but not MLP?

CastletonSnob

A couple of years back, someone posted in a thread about the MLP movie and said that people would be afraid to go see the movie in theaters, while those same people wouldn't be afraid to go see a Disney movie. That got me to thinking.

Why is it more socially acceptable to like Disney movies, many of which are aimed at girls (Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Tangled) than it is to be into MLP, which is also aimed at girls? 

Stigma and reputation are likely the two key reasons. Disney’s reputation of releasing solid, family-friendly films spans decades and generations. MLP doesn’t come anywhere close to its length (with an uncertain future), and being on a disliked premium network that’s virtually on autopilot doesn’t help.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Stigma and reputation are likely the two key reasons. Disney’s reputation of releasing solid, family-friendly films spans decades and generations. MLP doesn’t come anywhere close to its length (with an uncertain future), and being on a disliked premium network that’s virtually on autopilot doesn’t help.

Realistically, MLP is the only thing keeping Discovery Family afloat at this point. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Because Disney movies have had a long, long history and reputation since the start of animation of being really good. My Little Pony was scene as a joke of a franchise until FiM, and even then it still has a lot of hurdles to jump over. for starters it still seems obscenely cute for newcomers

17 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Realistically, MLP is the only thing keeping Discovery Family afloat at this point. 

Because that's the only worthwhile show it has going for it, they cancelled a good chunk of their other shows and what they have is lame in comparison, it doesn't help that it's a premium channel

It speaks volumes when even the show's staff are aware that most people stream it for free

Edited by This Whomps
  • Brohoof 5

Both of them, your average frat boy wannabe would have a field day ridiculing you for liking, but just about any interest, people like that can twist into calling you lame for liking. I see this same comparison not just with Disney, but with Pokemon, Pokemon fans attacking MLP fans for liking something 'childish' without noticing the hypocrisy. I think it also has to do with nostalgia, they grew up with stuff like Disney movies and Pokemon while MLP is just this "new cringey meme for creepy weirdos". 

• Brohoof 2

I'm choosing to abandon both MLP AND Disney after S9 and Toy Story 4 or Frozen II. The new Disney movies also don't interest me much.

I've already also lost interest in video games (only the new ones, those after SMM2 for Switch).

12 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Tangled

Was Tangled aimed at girls? Nothing in the advertising gave me that vibe.

It’s rather simple, Disney built a reputation in animation (PRAISE ME ZECORA) for generations since the first half of the 1900s, and MLP didn’t do anything that could catch the general public eye until FIM. By this point, the damage was done, so that’s why FIM is facing difficulties to get the attention it deserves. The fact that it airs on an increasingly less accessible network doesn’t help in watching it legally 

I don't think MLP has the same reputation as anything that would Disney make, and in some cases when people going to Disney movies they feel they had to do it out of obligation.

Another thing is that people feel that it's okay to bash MLP and not Disney, no one would dare to make Mouse angry or they would be accused of been man babies who shouldn't watch their movies anyway.

(edited)

Everyone has their opinions. Some like Disney, some don't.

On 4/1/2019 at 4:29 PM, VG_Addict said:

Why is it more socially acceptable to like Disney movies, many of which are aimed at girls (Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Tangled) than it is to be into MLP, which is also aimed at girls

Also, Disney movies are not aimed at girls. Just the Disney Princess Merchandise. The films themselves are meant to be enjoyed by all ages and genders. 

Edited by Will Guide

(edited)

If the MLP franchise continues to produce quality entertainment in future generations, I think we'll start to see that stigma subside. Same holds true if its creatives go on to do more great shows/movies in the future and encourage the series to be revisited in an "auteur filmography" context. 

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, n1029 said:

If the MLP franchise continues to produce quality entertainment in future generations, I think we'll start to see that stigma subside. Same holds true if its creatives go on to do more great shows/movies in the future and encourage the series to be revisited in an "auteur filmography" context. 

Indeed. FIM had a hard time because it’s the first MLP property which was outright made for other demographics to enjoy, but after decades aiming for little girls, it’s a stigma they can’t get rid off in a week

• 1 year later...

I didn't realize that, thanks for pointing it out. And I'm not sure why it is ok to like Disney but not MLP, but I suppose it's because Disney is known for creating family movies whereas MLP is more targeted towards little girls.

Disney has more than a 100 years of branding and name recognition. Even if it's a movie for children it almost guarantees that it will have something for every age (in theory as far as recent years).

MLP has always had a bad reputation for being the girliest thing in existence up until G4. So yeah. That might be why.