Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E08 - Frenemies

FlareGun45
Message added by MangoFoalix

Remember, this thread is full of spoilers. If you click on this thread, you should know what you are getting yourself into.

Episode Poll  

114 users have voted

1. 1. What did you thing!

• Grogar too OP pls nerf - Hated it
    • Chrysalis changes into your waifu and drains you - Not a fan
    • Grogar reads 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' and falls asleep - It was okay
    • Tirek chills while all of you vote - Liked it
    • Cozy casts "Adorbs" -- It's super effective - LOVED IT

(edited)

On 5/15/2019 at 8:24 AM, FirePuppy said:

Hide contents

I saw the Italian dub. And guess what: 😣

It was terrible!!! 😤

And no, I don't mean the dubbing voices, I mean the episode itself. No Mane Six (other than Twilight impersonated by Chrysalis), no Crusaders, no Spike, and no Starlight at all. Just four villains doing absolutely nothing interesting!

Besides, showing an entire episode of what the villains are up to after about 5-7 episodes is a nice change of pace. Plus it was one of the best interactions I've seen.

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 6

Just now, Jeric said:

Poll posted

This actually may be the best episode of the season. Really loved this one. 

Agreed. It has so many things going for it:

- The personalities of the villains bouncing off each other.

- The spot-on humor.

- The backstory for Grogar.

- Set-up for future episodes.

- Self-awareness from the villains (Genre Savy Chrysalis)

- Unpredictability

• Brohoof 7

2 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Besides, showing an entire episode of what the villains are up to after about 5-7 episodes is a nice change of pace. Plus it was one of the best interactions I've seen.

I agree. The episode was pretty great. Who cares if it didn't have any of the main characters in it.

• Brohoof 6

Alright! this episode was amazing, I expected it to be really good and it did not disappoint!Watching these 3 bickering was very funny(chrysalis talking to what's left of mean twilight was great), the song was really good, by far the best of the season and to top it all this episode really developed them as characters and not just threats to equestria. Its good to see they are still component villains and each has their own strengths, chrysalis was the star of this episode to me. This episode made me actually like tirek(he is still my least favorite of the trio but I'm starting to like him), cozy was very funny and the fact they actually turning on grogar first is intriguing(I though grogar will eventually betray them but it turns out they betray him first), will they be the final villains or will grogar actually find out they lied to him(if he doesn't already know and just playing along for now, [I mean he should have watched them through his ball]although it makes little sense) and make them pay the price which will lead for their reformation.

It was cool to see chryaslis stealing the love out of that creature, it was something I never thought would be shown in an episode. I love how they treat friendship as a disease and how they said it ruined discord. (I am kind of sad they didn't bring up sombra but whatever). Must re-watch it again but its a 10\10 for me, the best episode since the premier!

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

So Frenemies written by Mike Vogel

I was worried for this one mainly cause the last episode he wrote was one of the most disappointing of season 8 

But this episode was actually pretty great. I have been able to deduce from this episode that my favorite villain of the group is Cozy Glow, she is so frecking cute and I love her outbursts and manipulation. Chrysalis and Tierk were good in this episode as well, the dynamic between the three villains was different for the show and interesting to watch unfold. I didn't instantly forget Better Way To Be Bad right after it was over either so points for that as well. There was some other inserting things I liked in the episode as well, like Chrysalis getting her magic sucked with her eyes glazed over and everything as well as seeing more examples of the power Grogar has. 

While writing this review I actually had a moment of realization and found that I actually liked this episode way more than I thought I did and bumped my score up for it considerably. I am not sure how I feel about the ending but I can only hope Grogar finds out what they did later on and wrecks their shit. 

Good stuff and another great season 9 episode and this one has the possibility to be enhanced by future episodes 8/10 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 3

I loved the episode! I don't think I've ever seen so much character development for villains in a single episode of mlp before! I like how the trio interact with each other. It's so unique compared to what I've usually seen. I liked them so much in this episode, that I almost feel like I want them to win in the end now. :o I really hope we get a few more episodes starring the villains before the end!

• Brohoof 8

8 minutes ago, Zestanor said:

Friendship founded over a common interest is the least laudable kind. As they said, if they succeed in defeating their enemies, they intend to part ways. The Mane 6 are friends for each other's sake, which is a much more permanent engagement.

Yet they had bonded before they made their pact to betray Grogar. In fact, their common interest is what's hindering their friendships since each of them has their own plans for Equestria. Competitors becoming friends. It's a classic friendship story.

Also, these three know each other pretty well, and they don't hold back on their honesty. Tirek openly admitted he was having second thoughts on giving Chrys her magic back. And Cozy isn't even trying to hide her personality in their company anymore. That's all something that would take Mane 6 member a whole episode to accomplish, if they can even manage it at all.

• Brohoof 2

By the way, grogar looks very powerfull, can't wait to see what he can do with his bell(if he gets to), he will probably be more powerful then discord! Can't wait to see where this is going! Grogar surely takes his time, if they did nothing for weeks, unlike the others he is really patient. 

• Brohoof 3

Lamias are canon, don't need more. 10/10, 100/100

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
22 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

...What on earth possessed them to bring the bell straight back to Grogar's lair anyway?

Hide it literally anywhere else!

It's the old "Hide it in a place so obvious, he'd never think to look there".

Edited by VG_Addict
  • Brohoof 3

OMG; this episode was AMAZING! For me; best episode of the season! And to top the premiere is QUITE the feat!

• Brohoof 3

On 5/15/2019 at 12:07 PM, Anti-Villain said:

Another reason he's #NotMySombra...

FIENDship and Siege actually developed him; S9 just threw him away.

Sometimes a villain just needs to stay who they are, "development" in the way Siege did completely ruined Sombra for me. 
We got development of his personality in TBOE and I adored what they did with him and happy they chose to off him instead of going the reformation route like the other villains.

• Brohoof 5

MLP Frenemies

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I saw the U.S version today as I could not find a reliable version of the Italian dubs of some episodes. I really liked this one too! It was nice to have an episode focusing on Villains for the first time. I think this is also the first time a finale conflict was set up in such a direct way. In season 4 we had the key episodes of course, but that was more of a visual set up whereas this episode sets up characters and conflict. I liked the backstory with Dusty, and how the writers addressed how each Villain has a unique talent that helps the group like the Mane 6 do. Crystalis is shapeshifter, obviously, Tirek is magical strength, and Cozy is planning and manipulation. Cozy’s weakness and one of her funniest traits is what happens to her when she does not get what she wants. I adored the twist ending! I had a sneaking suspicion that Cystalis, Tirek, and Cozy were going to double cross Tirek so I got a huge satisfaction when they kept the bell for themselves. I found it interesting that they enjoyed friendship so I wonder if Crystalis will transform later like her hive did. I cracked up when they compared the magic of friendship to a disease! I wonder if the Student 6 will teach these 3 Villains friendship because like the Villains they are a mixed group?

• Brohoof 1

So...that episode was...just amazing. Probably one of my favorite episodes of the series. All the villains felt at their best, they were funny but not like Storm King levels of characterization. Grogar works as the one track mind serious villain and he clearly has tons of power so I can't wait to see what his plan is. Also betting he knows they are trying to double cross him.
Anyway

Pros
-All villain episode
-Amazing song
-Chrysalis is amazing
-Tirek is amazing
-Cozy is amazing
-Grogar is amazing
-Adventure episode
-Lore
-Worldbuilding
-comedy
Cons
-I don't know

100/100

• Brohoof 5

Cozy Glow: I put up with your "I'm smarter than you" attitude in Tartarus! But I'm over it!
Lord Tirek: I'd had enough of you trying to manipulate me with that insincere, syrupy sweetness. At least now we can see the real you.
Cozy Glow: This is not the real me! I'm cute and lovable!
Lord Tirek: [scoffs] No, you're not. You're annoying, and you snore.
Cozy Glow: I do not snore!
Lord Tirek: [mock-snoring]
Cozy Glow: At least I don't talk to my Gram-Gram when I sleep.
Lord Tirek: Don't you dare bring Gram-Gram into this!

LOL! With this alone, you can really tell how much fun they all had a load of fun with the script. :laugh:

Queen Chrysalis: *transforms into Twilight* I'm a pathetic pony princess! I made a detailed list of all the ways I'm a failure!

Extra LOL!

• Brohoof 6

Also, give it up to Cozy. Ponyville and Canterlot successfully saw through her manipulation. Yet, despite Tirek calling her out for it, she gathered round Tirek and Chryssie to work as a team in the beginning and came up with the idea to have Tirek borrow her magic to break through Gusty’s force field. Course, it didn’t start well. :P 

• Brohoof 1

I wish this show had been doing this kind of comedic villain-focused episode for years. I genuinely adore the less serious take to the epic conflict this season, and this might be the first time in years that I'm actually looking forward to the finale. I thought this particular episode was hilarious the entire way through, and I love how the villains have kind-of sort-of discovered friendship in their own sinister way. I'll admit that it still seems a bit cheesy to suggest that everyone could be tempted by the Power of Friendship, but I think it suits these characters best to have them in denial and still dedicated to humiliating the ponies. And I dunno, I guess the less serious treatment makes the whole idea more palatable to me; these three were always kind of thin characters, so reducing them to parodies of themselves has a certain appeal, and it's easier to imagine them becoming less evil when that evil is harder to take seriously. I particularly love how they all seemed relatively competent despite the goofy tone, too; even Chrysalis didn't screw everything up for once. Usually I'd ask for more like this, but at this point I'm pretty sure this season is already delivering on that. This show is so good right now!

Also, I love how creepy they allow Chrysalis to be in this. Tirek is only kinda creepy and Cozy Glow is more funny than anything, but Chrysalis is actually pretty gross. And shout out to that stick who was, until recently, the only friend she ever had. 

• Brohoof 4

An entire episode focused on the villains? Haha, that sounds like my cup of tea. I really enjoyed it! The banter between Tirek, Chrysalis & Cozy was great and the three of them are really entertaining together. Makes me wonder how Sombra might have fit into this group... kinda feels like a waste there. While not my favorite villain Cozy is starting to grow on me -- she's "Darla Dimple" aka evil Shirley Temple and there's always been something oddly hilarious about such a character.

I find Grogar to be intriguing and have high hopes for him being truly as powerful and dangerous as he claims to be. I wonder if revealing just how easily Discord could have taken out Sombra was a hint of something to come -- I have a feeling Grogar is stronger than him. It'll be interesting to see where our villainous trio's backstabbing plan leads and if Grogar is already anticipating it. He obviously doesn't trust any of them and seems to be pretty smart.

I thought this was a great ep overall, it deviated from what we're used to and the focus on developing the villains and their relationships, while adding to the plot, was very refreshing. Hopefully we'll see more of this uh... fiendship soon!

• Brohoof 5

Are the villains main characters now? There weren’t any of the other main characters in this episode at all. If so, this show has 22 main characters. How did that happen?

• Brohoof 2

Nice that we finally got a villain episode and it was great. Best episode of the season by far. The song was amazing. I love how Cozy glow, tirek and Chrysalis are trying to hide the bell from grogar. And I love how Chrysalis can’t make up her mind as to who she wants revenge on.

• Brohoof 2