Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

502 Gateway constantly appears

Props Valroa

I notice that lately, whenever I reload the page or go to a new one, the 502 Gateway error appears most of the time. Is this something that can be fixed or is it just something on my end?

It's a difficult to define loss of connection from one server to another and is often the result of an out-of-date browser or a very slow connection. Have you updated your browser recently?

• Brohoof 1

It's a known issue that has been around probably April of this year when the board was updated. I'm not exactly sure what's causing it but someone like Mercury can probably tell you more about it.

• Brohoof 3

23 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

It's a difficult to define loss of connection from one server to another and is often the result of an out-of-date browser or a very slow connection. Have you updated your browser recently?

I'm pretty sure I have. I use the opera browser.

I use Chrome and also get these errors on both, desktop and phone.

As Taze said, it is a known issue and it came with one of the forum updates if I recall correctly.

I don't think it's a problem on your end.

upXIwtU.png

hNYs7Rk.png

25 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

I use Chrome and also get these errors on both, desktop and phone.

As Taze said, it is a known issue and it came with one of the forum updates if I recall correctly.

I don't think it's a problem on your end.

upXIwtU.png

hNYs7Rk.png

Yeah, I am very sure it's not a browser problem since it's happened to most known users. It's a server-side issue.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Sunset Rose said:

Can you try using another updated browser and see if it behaves any differently?

Thats possible though I wouldn't ever use any other browser than Opera. It's a server wide issue and I'm trying to see if that can be repaired at some point.

18 hours ago, Scar said:

Thats possible though I wouldn't ever use any other browser than Opera. It's a server wide issue and I'm trying to see if that can be repaired at some point.

It is, but it can be exacerbated by the issues I outlined earlier. If you're getting a 502 often, that would explain it. If you're willing to put up with it in Opera then there's nothing much to be done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 3:42 PM, Xeltor said:

I have to say my connection is very bad; so that must be it 

It's more than a connection. I've encountered it on and off everywhere. Multiple platforms, multiple browsers, multiple cities. The gateway error has actually become a bit of a meme around here now.

There are several causes of it, but I believe I resolved one of them. Let me know if the frequency has gone done.

19 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

I was going to blame @Jeric but then I realized that this was the wrong thread for that. :P

Could crosspost? :D

Seriously though, I have seen "Bad Gateway" mostly due to load issues on servers I run, so its probably that.

• 2 weeks later...

i think i might have the solution

i think, i'm not fully sure

A 502 error means that a website server that is serving as a reverse proxy for the website origin server (for example, a CDN PoP) did not receive a valid response from the origin server. This may be because the origin server is experiencing issues, there is an invalid or incorrect DNS name, or because a firewall on the origin server has blocked the reverse proxy server request.

when the 502 screen pops up you will see nginx written underneath

nginx is a web server company and what they say is a quick way to solve this to increase the buffer and timeouts in a html console

http {
fastcgi_buffers 8 16k;
fastcgi_buffer_size 32k;
fastcgi_connect_timeout 300;
fastcgi_send_timeout 300;
fastcgi_read_timeout 300;
}

Edited by RainbowDashFan124
  • Brohoof 1

@RainbowDashFan124 Unfortunately it's more or less usually because our forum software is locking up several php-fpm threads, it's really only gotten bad on this update that we're on and we're looking at upgrading again here soon and we'll see if that resolves it.

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...
  • The topic was locked