Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions on the "Volumes" and Ominibuses?

fare67t

I know that there is at least like...80 something issues of the main series now (which really adds up money wise if you want them shipped to you and/or collectors have their way, unfortunately), which is quite a lot for something as..."niche" as ponies in media outside of the show. I at one point was given the very first version of the very first issue by a teacher, maybe even a promo version, even if I think I either lost it or threw it away in my small little "screw ponies" phase that lasted like...a month x3

ANYWAY, BACK ON TOPIC!

I know there is also the "Volumes" that usually contain 4 issues in one and I think have the cover art of the very first issue in that collection as their cover.

But there is ALSO the rather behind in terms of content Omnibus which has like...10 issues or more in one, but is smaller in book size (length / width)

So my question is: what is everyone's opinions on the volumes and omnibuses? do you prefer them over having to keep track of 85+ issues? are they lower quality then the standard?

If I can get omnibuses I will, unfortunately IDW's really slow on this so I rarely get them. I have 2 of the 3 Friends Forever omnibuses so I'll get the last one, but for the main series I'm fine getting the regular volumes. Not to mention there's a ton of garbage in the main series I'd rather avoid so with volumes it's easier to avoid

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I prefer the volumes over the omnibuses since the pages are lager, and I like looking at the art that way! I do pick up the single issues as they come out though.

As for the quality, they're as good as the standard releases, so you're not missing out on anything important, especially considering the cover art is featured inside the collections as well.

Edited by Kadae

10 hours ago, Kadae said:

Personally, I prefer the volumes over the omnibuses since the pages are lager, and I like looking at the art that way! I do pick up the single issues as they come out though.

As for the quality, they're as good as the standard releases, so you're not missing out on anything important, especially considering the cover art is featured inside the collections as well.

Yeah that's my opinion on it: I prefer the 4 issue volumes over the omnibuses as they are larger print, and the binding / thickness of the collection doesn't prevent you from seeing corner-of-the-panel details like the Omnibuses do.

Edited by fare67t
  • Brohoof 1

I have all the Friends Forever Omnibii, and the first 4 Magic is Magic Omnibii. I haven't had trouble seeing corner-of-the-panel details, but they are smaller print by far and I never understood that. So, the larger print is a definite plus, but I'm happy to have more content in a single volume that I can carry around.

ToqSb5bXPClbfEtFx_do6oEAa_SIXdop6ics2tiU

My collection, so far. It's mixed with other stuff though.

Edited by flutterJackdash
Adding picture of my collection

On 1/5/2020 at 10:39 PM, flutterJackdash said:

I have all the Friends Forever Omnibii, and the first 4 Magic is Magic Omnibii. I haven't had trouble seeing corner-of-the-panel details, but they are smaller print by far and I never understood that. So, the larger print is a definite plus, but I'm happy to have more content in a single volume that I can carry around.

ToqSb5bXPClbfEtFx_do6oEAa_SIXdop6ics2tiU

My collection, so far. It's mixed with other stuff though.

very nice~ ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd prefer the volumes. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the omnibuses are grand but with the volumes I can just easily choose which story/episode to read without having to find it through a big one. Then again, I suppose a omnibus could also work as a "Season" do you guys think I should switch to collecting omnibuses?

I haven't read any comic books before, but decided to try reading the MLP ones, so I bought an omnibus (looked similar price to a volume, but with more content) and if I like reading comic books, I'll probably buy omnibuses where available and volumes otherwise.