Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think canon ships tend to be boring?

Sepul-Coloratura

In MLP, I was fine with the canon ships. It was especially nice to finally have Lyra x Bon Bon confirmed after several seasons. As for Pinkie x Cheese, I must admit it was a ship I was never really a fan of. Before season 9, I thought they were too similar to each other, making the pairing quite uninteresting and predictable, but I still think they made it work (maybe their cute foal helped in that regard).

As for the earlier ships, I don't really have many complaints about those. Sugarmac seems to be a bit divisive in the fandom – I thought Big Mac and Marble Pie were a very cute couple, but the ship we ended up getting is adorable too. ^_^

Maybe the fact that so few of the main characters were shipped is also to thank for my largely positive view of the eventual pairings – they avoided having any pairings that would be particularly controversial in the fandom (the only one that was confirmed was a fairly popular fandom ship, even if I wasn't one of its biggest fans).

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 4

9 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

In MLP, I was fine with the canon ships. It was especially nice to finally have Lyra x Bon Bon confirmed after several seasons. As for Pinkie x Cheese, I must admit it was a ship I was never really a fan of. Before season 9, I thought they were too similar to each other, making the pairing quite uninteresting and predictable, but I still think they made it work (maybe their cute foal helped in that regard).

As for the earlier ships, I don't really have many complaints about those. Sugarmac seems to be a bit divisive in the fandom – I thought Big Mac and Marble Pie were a very cute couple, but the ship we ended up getting is adorable too. ^_^

Maybe the fact that so few of the main characters were shipped is also to thank for my largely positive view of the eventual pairings – they avoided having any pairings that would be particularly controversial in the fandom (the only one that was confirmed was a fairly popular fandom ship, even if I wasn't one of its biggest fans).

Even if its not really "confirmed" confirmed, its heavily implied that AppleDash is a thing.

and I'm okay with this

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, fare67t said:

Even if its not really "confirmed" confirmed, its heavily implied that AppleDash is a thing.

and I'm okay with this

I tend to be very sceptical towards the "implied" truths especially in MLP since they started taking no responsibilities to the implied truths that they say and put minimum credibility to it whenever it's convenient while still take advantage of the implied truth to pull out easy emotional reactions out of the audience until proven not to be true. Example Scootaloo's parents. Another reason why people are asking for Applejack's parent's autopsy reports.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 2

I think they tend to be. You can usually see a canon ship coming from miles away. That makes them boring, but that doesn't mean they're always bad. And a canon ship is only a canon ship if it's explicitly stated or shown, so Fluttercord and Appledash are not canon ships.

15 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Of course I'm mostly talking about MLP, but other stuff as well. Do you think most canon ships tend to be boring, bland? Why do you think so?

MLP-wise, the parts we see tend to be boring, but that's probably because of the show's resistance to embrace romance. Other stories have done it well sometimes and poorly at others.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2019-12-12 at 2:01 AM, Tacodidra said:

I think the ships we have are less boring than Lyrabon

I mean sure. I've never really cared for ships in the first place, but characters that canonically get together are generally more predictable pairings.