Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media RIP Kobe Bryant

TheAnimationFanatic

This came as a huge shock. I was on my phone and shouted, one guy called up to me and asked me if I was reading about this. He was really popular in my area

I’m still speechless beyond comprehension. Last night, he congratulated LeBron James for passing him on the all-time scoring list, and now he and his daughter Gianna are gone. Heartbreaking. :( 

What makes me personally sad is how 8 other people died alongside Bryant and nobody gives a single shit about any of them. My boyfriend was reading an article about this whole thing and what he said sums it all up perfectly: "There isn't a single mention of the other 8 people in this news article." 

I get that people had a lot of respect for the guy (for reasons I don't care about) but what I see is celebrity worship in full force yet again. Kobe's life is being propped up to god status. The other 8 people? Fuck em I guess.

• Brohoof 5

The way people treat events like this really reminds me of the Joker film when Fleck says "if it was me dying on the sidewalk, you'd walk right over me."

It's true. If it isn't a celebrity or somebody working for them, people wouldn't care, they'd metaphorically just walk right over it if it has nothing to do with somebody they recognize somewhere. Like they don't seem to care as much for the other people who died. It's not like it's a tragedy Kobe died (even if it doesn't affect me at all considering I'm not a fan of basketball), but it's also a tragedy the rest did, and it's pathetic they receive no mention, it's like they were half a person compared to Kobe.

And it's funny to me in a way, because before this, I didn't know who Kobe Bryant was myself.

Edited by Angel_Dust
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

What makes me personally sad is how 8 other people died alongside Bryant and nobody gives a single shit about any of them. My boyfriend was reading an article about this whole thing and what he said sums it all up perfectly: "There isn't a single mention of the other 8 people in this news article." 

I get that people had a lot of respect for the guy (for reasons I don't care about) but what I see is celebrity worship in full force yet again. Kobe's life is being propped up to god status. The other 8 people? Fuck em I guess.

What source was your article because this one while not giving all other victims does have sections that go into half of them:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/26/sports/basketball/kobe-bryant-dead.html

One major one being that of John Altobelli, a longtime baseball coach at Orange Coast College, a junior college in Costa Mesa. Calif., as well as Altobelli’s wife, Keri, and daughter Alyssa. Plus we can probably assume the pilot, and maybe an attendant or two.

And you know you're right it is celebrity worship but it's doing so to keep the focus off those potentially responsible.

It'd be different if this were a shooting of outside focus and no one but Kobe and his daughter were mentioned but were dealing with a completely self contained incident. Because you know what happens when they reveal that John Doe was the pilot of that helicopter with Jane Smith attending the preparations aboard. You've got people harassing Mrs. Doe or Jane's SO about how guilty they should be for letting this mistake happening.

Yes it is unfortunate and tragic for all those on board but for an incident like this there is un-classified level of responsibility and unintentioned guilt on some of those involved, and personally if it were my father as the pilot I wouldn't want his name out there, I'd just want to mourn his death in peace because before today he and his family were practically nobodies and getting put in the limelight like this is going to make the situation worse for everyone.

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

My parents were watching the news. My folks at least shed tears for all 9 involved.

Honestly, although I never care for sports unless Mario was involved, it's still sad to see people die like this

• 3 months later...