Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Pinkie Pie the only one who has the scientifically correct view on the universe?

Sepul-Coloratura

Since she's the only one who ever mentioned 'space' and 'galaxy', could we consider she has the most scientifically advanced and accurate viewpoint of the world? There are Twilight or other unicorn scholars, but they mention stars as if those are from ancient astrology.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

Since she's the only one who ever mentioned 'space' and 'galaxy', could we consider she has the most scientifically advanced and accurate viewpoint of the world? There are Twilight or other unicorn scholars, but they mention stars as if those are from ancient astrology.

Rainbow Dash wore a space suit for Nightmare Night.

full.jpg

• Brohoof 1

It could just be her being Pinkie Pie and surprising everyone with the random things that she knows, which absolutely nobody expected. Who knows? Maybe we aren't giving her enough credit and she knows a lot more than one could imagine.

• Brohoof 2

There's an arc on the IDW comics where the mane 6 and Luna go to the Moon (issue #6 I believe) so there's knowledge of space and planets, but I don't recall anypony mentioning anything about galaxies.

On the other hand, I bet Gummy knows even the deepest mysteries of the Universe.

"The earth is round, there is no up or down." Chancellor Puddinghead.

3 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Rainbow Dash wore a space suit for Nightmare Night.

While it's admittedly more advanced looking, we first started making full pressure suits for high altitudes during the 1930's so her piece could be sci-fi inspired given their estimated general tech period? Funnily I got more excited about the prospects from Twilight's Romanesque armor :adorkable:

I think Pinkie Pie is always worth listening to but not always worth adhering to. The insanity must be balanced with the practical knowledge, and plenty of her lines are just throw aways. We can infer that ponies at the very least have a concept of space and galaxies. As for things like stars aligning, maybe magic involving those just use celestial events as a timer of sorts, rather than something that truly needs to happen. Like what if one went super nova during Luna's banishment? Would she be trapped for good or do the stars just line up at the thousand year mark? Might as well make the date memorable with something that can't be shifted. Maybe leap year was invented while she was gone too!

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie is a pretty alien entity 

She bends reality, speaks truths between nonsense, can predict the future, crosses the boundary between 2D and 3D, and even has inside knowledge to the creation of Equestria 

Maybe she's an avatar of Nyarlathotep

• Brohoof 2

18 hours ago, SharpWit said:

"The earth is round, there is no up or down." Chancellor Puddinghead.

While it's admittedly more advanced looking, we first started making full pressure suits for high altitudes during the 1930's so her piece could be sci-fi inspired given their estimated general tech period?

They do have a a rather high technological level of electronics. They have sound motion pictures. That is evidence of electronic audio amplification, not to mention a high level understanding of chemistry.  The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 had vacuum tubes in the circuitry of the bad apple detector. 

They also have x-ray machines, and several times ponies have been shown wearing radiation and bio-hazard suits.  The fact that a Pegasus pony can fly with such a small wing to body size ratio, implies that their world has a fairly shallow gravity well. 1950's technology would give them what they need to leave the planet entirely. A V-2 rocket from WWII would have been capable of  escaping the moon's gravity and of reaching the Earth (to burn up, but it would get there).

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

A V-2 rocket from WWII would have been capable of  escaping the moon's gravity and of reaching the Earth (to burn up, but it would get there).

If only Nightmare moon had established that secret base beforehoof, lol.

I don't know about the gravity situation given the number of variables but I see what you mean. My guess would be that Celestia had probably put a ban on rockets because of their destructive capability, along with the limited application of other more modern technological advances.

12 hours ago, SharpWit said:

If only Nightmare moon had established that secret base beforehoof, lol.

I don't know about the gravity situation given the number of variables but I see what you mean. My guess would be that Celestia had probably put a ban on rockets because of their destructive capability, along with the limited application of other more modern technological advances.

I've always thought that just because the ponies don't have something, doesn't mean they couldn't have. I think Celestia very well would have a moratorium on key technologies. Now that Twilight, a fan of science, is the ruler, there may be a change. 

• Brohoof 1