Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Spike have grown up earlier in the series?

Azureth

1 hour ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Heck, we don’t know anything about dragon biology. Maybe his growth and develop event was stunted from living away from other dragons, and it took spending time around a female dragon (Smolder) to trigger puberty. Maybe he should have grown wings years before.

I doubt that such thing (being around females triggers puberty) was intended for a children's show. :BrightMacContent: 

Simply the show's creators didn;t really intend to for Spike to have wings in the first place. But as more and more seasons were added, it seemed like a good idea to show that Spike had grown up and gained wings. That's why it happened so late in the series. 

Edited by 💛Princess of Hearts💙
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, 💛Princess of Hearts💙 said:

being around females triggers puberty

Okay, so this was probably the cause of my late puberty :ButtercupLaugh:

About the wings. I think it was one of those "Hey fandom, what are you going to say now when we added wings to Spike? Will you complain the same way like you did when Twilight got wings? Huh?". :orly:

4 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Not sure about that. Gabby IS more his age, but they could just be friends, and he has just grown out of his crush on Rarity now he has matured to the wing stage.  Nothing wrong with being sweet on someone though, provided they don't take advantage of it....

Spike's love life is complex, for this show about Friendship. I created a thread about it. Hopefully we can figure out what really happened to him and Rarity, or some other character?

18 hours ago, Latecomer said:

Whi? He obvious wasn't grown up.

I'm saying that the writers could have decided to write that Spike has grown up back then. And I think his mental growth was dealt in the episode Secret of My Excess. (and I would have liked more episodes like them) The whole 'molting' concept was an afterthought and it didn't need to happen.

4 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I'm saying that the writers could have decided to write that Spike has grown up back then. And I think his mental growth was dealt in the episode Secret of My Excess. (and I would have liked more episodes like them) The whole 'molting' concept was an afterthought and it didn't need to happen.

Indeed, theu could have, but I don't see how it got less plausible rather than more as the show went on.