Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old do you have to be to be in MLP Forums?

Future Allie Way

I am 13 and I wondered if kids younger than me can use this site? My sister is the person that made me ask this XD She likes MLP:FiM a lot. I told her no, but she insists... I bet (and hope) the answer is no XD

This should not be in the Welcoming section really... More like Feedback.

Also, I doubt people that young would not be able to join. I am pretty sure we have had a 11 year old on the site before.

Also, I doubt people that young would not be able to join. I am pretty sure we have had a 11 year old on the site before.

Yeah, wrong section. My stupid mouse is not working properly today. I wished the answer would be no, but if it is a yes (if our mom lets her) she'll get an account D: I mean she is mature, but she will probably stalk me...

Yeah, wrong section. My stupid mouse is not working properly today. I wished the answer would be no, but if it is a yes (if our mom lets her) she'll get an account D: I mean she is mature, but she will probably stalk me...

Well the only problem I can say IMO is that she would type like.... a little kid.

I am 13 and I wondered if kids younger than me can use this site? My sister is the person that made me ask this XD She likes MLP:FiM a lot. I told her no, but she insists...

I bet (and hope) the answer is no XD

We do not set any age limits on who may or may not join MLP Forums. However, it should be noted that no one gets any kind of special treatment around here because of their age; ergo, your sister will be expected to follow and abide by the same rules as the rest of us; and if she chooses to act immaturely, her being younger will not constitute a valid excuse for her behaviour.

Keep in mind that there's some swearing in this community, which she may find offensive. Also... I'm no legal advisor, but if you live in the US, it might illegal for her to register her without parental permission. There's a law called COPPA designed to protect young (< 13 years old) children online - not sure if it applies to MLP Forums, though, as this site is run entirely from Canada.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

We do not set any age limits on who may or may not join MLP Forums. However, it should be noted that no one gets any kind of special treatment around here because of their age; ergo, your sister will be expected to follow and abide by the same rules as the rest of us; and if she chooses to act immaturely, her being younger will not constitute a valid excuse for her behaviour.

Keep in mind that there's some swearing in this community, which she may find offensive. Also... I'm no legal advisor, but if you live in the US, it might illegal for her to register her without parental permission. There's a law called COPPA designed to protect young (< 13 years old) children online - not sure if it applies to MLP Forums, though, as this site is run entirely from Canada.

There's nothing to worry about. She pinkie promised she wouldn't be immature. She simply wants to post some hand-drawn ponies she made. She is an excellent artist and obviously both my parents and I would watch what she is seeing and doing. We don't live in the U.S. but maybe it applies to where I live, too... Anyway, my parents are home and both agreed to let her. Fortunately, she is in a VERY strict school, thus she knows what that "She will be treated the same way" part means. She doesn't find swearing offensive, she doesn't swear but (because of our dad and the kids of the place we live in) she wouldn't go crazy if someone says a curse word.

I'll keep an eye on her, anyway.

Well the only problem I can say IMO is that she would type like.... a little kid.

Not really, actually she won the second place in the grammar and spelling competition against 14-year-olds :o Edited by Fruit Punch

There's nothing to worry about. She pinkie promised she wouldn't be immature. She simply wants to post some hand-drawn ponies she made. She is an excellent artist and obviously both my parents and I would watch what she is seeing and doing. We don't live in the U.S. but maybe it applies to where I live, too... Anyway, my parents are home and both agreed to let her. Fortunately, she is in a VERY strict school, thus she knows what that "She will be treated the same way" part means. She doesn't find swearing offensive, she doesn't swear but (because of our dad and the kids of the place we live in) she wouldn't go crazy if someone says a curse word.

I'll keep an eye on her, anyway.

Good to hear. If neither of us live in the US, we're both beyond the reach of the US government, so I wouldn't worry about COPPA.

Can you please just let me know what her username is (so we don't accidentally accuse her of creating duplicate accounts when the same IP address shows up in the logs)?

Good to hear. If neither of us live in the US, we're both beyond the reach of the US government, so I wouldn't worry about COPPA.

Can you please just let me know what her username is (so we don't accidentally accuse her of creating duplicate accounts)?

Her username is Violet Velvet. She has an obsession with velvet XD

I am a firm believer that age doesn't necessarily determine (mental) maturity. I've been told that I am more mature than most adults ever since as young as 7.

However, the likelihood of acting as a Sentient Mature Being is directly associated with age. Chances are most 7 year olds will act like... well immature 7 year olds. However there will always be the small exceptions.

If your sister is as mature as you say she is I welcome her to the forums, however... if she is offended by the content of the forum she should be reminded that she is talking to mostly teenagers and young adults, MLP may be a little girls shows, but the Brony community is a new strange breed that doesn't tend to mix well with the targeted demographic.

As for her drawings... well no matter what her age, it's probably better than mine!

That's me :D

Just keep her away from Shippin and Creepy ponies, and less obvious, the fanfic thread. god knows what she might find in there :P

btw, looking forward to some awesome drawings from your lil sis here :)

Maturity is one concern.

Level of intelligence and wisdom based upon life experience and life lesson are also things to factor in. A simple cultural reference such as saying the words "eighty-eight miles per hour" might be lost on a user who's very young, for example.