Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Will The Coronavirus Ever Go Away? Will We Ever Recover From It?

EpicEnergy

(edited)
25 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

What do you mean by OTOH?

“On the other hand.”

1 hour ago, Olly said:

It's a goddamn nightmare and here I was hoping for a normal year. You know, do some summer activities, join a club, all kinds of things! things that didn't involve masks and "social distancing" and all this retarded stuff that's now our norm.  

If people around the country followed social distancing guidelines and not pretend like it’s some kind of hoax, we might’ve been able to flatten the curve. Instead, people from the top down are plugging in their ears, denying its danger, and often being complete assholes. Until there’s a good vaccine, it’s only going to get worse. Anti-maskers are a major part of the problem and need to be defended from themselves.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 5

Eventually, but with how things are going, probably not for a while. Everyone acting like toddlers has turned this into the adult equivalent of "Johnny did something bad so now the whole class stays in for recess and does worksheets instead."

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, You said:

The US need to do a new and stricter lockdown, and why?

I don’t think that’s a good idea. Closing bars and clubs and indoor dining, yes of course. But complete shutdowns cause problems too. We have to balance the problem of the virus with the other economic and social problems.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, You said:

Yes, it sucks. But these are dire times. 

Says who? I've never even heard of someone getting this virus except on the news when it's one person 500 miles away who's already recovered. 

I know it's a disease but why do people insist on playing hype man for this one? don't crap your pants

2 hours ago, You said:

The US need to do a new and stricter lockdown, and why? Partly because people can't be responsible themselves, and go to beaches, clubs and stuff as if the virus doesn't exist. Not willing to wear masks even if they help immensely.

Is it wrong to go to the beach, or step outside? I'm sure most people who go for a relaxing stroll aren't doing so because they think said virus "doesn't exist". 

Also when you say, "not willing to wear masks" what does that mean?

And to what extent does mask wearing go? should we wear them to bed? refusing to wear one in the supermarket would probably be bad. But how much of a nanny do you want to be with the mask wearing and the 6 feet apart. What if you're only 5 feet apart? or 4? will you get upset? 

21 minutes ago, Olly said:

And to what extent does mask wearing go? should we wear them to bed? refusing to wear one in the supermarket would probably be bad. But how much of a nanny do you want to be with the mask wearing and the 6 feet apart. What if you're only 5 feet apart? or 4? will you get upset? 

You don't need to wear them at home(unless you're living with someone who does have it), just whenever your out in public, especially when you're indoors

2 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

If people around the country followed social distancing guidelines and not pretend like it’s some kind of hoax, we might’ve been able to flatten the curve. Instead, people from the top down are plugging in their ears, denying its danger, and often being complete assholes. Until there’s a good vaccine, it’s only going to get worse. Anti-maskers are a major part of the problem and need to be defended from themselves. 

The main issue is that there's no real enforcement, even in states that are taking it more seriously. And they seriously expect to reopen schools soon. And the kicker is that the people in charge like Trump and Florida's DeSantis are still refusing to send their own kids to school and will keep them at home, and that right there sums up this whole debacle, they aren't stupid, they just don't care about you

• Brohoof 3

27 minutes ago, You said:

More than 3m infected in the US.

27 minutes ago, You said:

I want to highlight how much of a difference it makes. Germany has 1/4 of the US population. It has roughly about 1/15th of the infected. Just saying.

Ironic how you say these things without ever noticing what's right in front of you. Of course it has roughly about 1/15th of the infected because it has 1/4 of the us population. 

The us is a big country. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT larger countries would have more infected people. Not as easy to micro manage when you're dealing with a country many many times the land mass and population of germany in the EU. 

31 minutes ago, You said:

Yes, it is for the beach part, especially if you are not taking precautions. Masks, social distancing. Hint: Many people in crowds on the beach don't adhere to that.

Listen I go to the park and I walk around my neighborhood and not once have I worn a mask. And I'm not going to get sick. 

Just want to let you know. 

Heck even countries like Germany I’ve noticed still have to deal with a few hundred cases each day :yuck: . Doesn’t seem to die out does it? Scary...

1 hour ago, Olly said:

Ironic how you say these things without ever noticing what's right in front of you. Of course it has roughly about 1/15th of the infected because it has 1/4 of the us population. 

The us is a big country. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT larger countries would have more infected people. Not as easy to micro manage when you're dealing with a country many many times the land mass and population of germany in the EU. 

Population density matters as well. Most of those European countries have significant population densities and were hit pretty hard like Italy and Spain, yet they still managed to get COVID under control. Hell Tokyo managed to get it under control and it's one of the most populated cities in the world

Most of the US did diddly dick about the virus and it's still spreading like wildfire, especially in the lesser populated southern states. Only place that's managed to get it under control are most of the north eastern states like New York, which is also one of the most populated states with one of the most populated cities in the world as well that was also hit very hard. In comparison Florida's already set to overtake New York(which was having a horrific time with the COVID) and fucking California, which is especially bad since Florida has about half the population size of California

• Brohoof 3

This thread sure turned into those debate ones, though the topic doesn't specify a specific country to debate about, and this is General Discussion as well, oh my :Thorax:

This virus can either be dealt with by infecting as many as possible and hope for flock immunity, or strictly lock everything and everyone down. Both have ups and downs.

Imagine locking everyone inside for weeks to stop the virus, but people don't like that, they might find themselves rioting, because they have been pushed too far.

Or imagine letting the virus have its way, and let the weak perish. After some time, the virus won't have anyone to get to since most got it and survived... That implies most of what's left after the other "most" perished.

Both these situations have occurred or is in progress. But even with these approaches, we will still not get rid of this virus!

I really hoped the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic will go away soon, so the vaccine production are well at the third phase this month, and those will be ready to be distributed to all COVID-infected people soon. Social distancing should always been necessary by the CDC during this pandemic in order to slow down the spread and flatten the curve, which what I've been expecting before the end of this year.

I hope y'all stayed safe, and I'm still safe too at home. I've never got tested, which I'm fine from other people in public.

• Brohoof 1

45 minutes ago, Allen said:

I really hoped the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic will go away soon, so the vaccine production are well at the third phase this month, and those will be ready to be distributed to all COVID-infected people soon. Social distancing should always been necessary by the CDC during this pandemic in order to slow down the spread and flatten the curve, which what I've been expecting before the end of this year.

I hope y'all stayed safe, and I'm still safe too at home. I've never got tested, which I'm fine from other people in public.

Whenever I have to go somewhere I always wear a mask. I don't have to wear it when I'm just walking right outside my door to take out the trash since I live in the suburbs where there's not too many people in one location compared to the city.

And yes I'm followng every rule, especially the ones that say you must wear face mask to enter. 

• Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, Will Guide said:

I agree.

@Olly

What's one year without beaches and clubs. if we just follow the rules and stick that out for one year, we'll likely be able to get over it quicker in maybe 2 years than say 10 years if we don't follow the rules that just allows the virus to spread faster before we can start curing it.

All this "retarded stuff being our new norm" is not going to be forever if we just swallow our pride and just take a small safety period to make things so much easier to control in the future

"Just imagine being US's neighbors" - the Mexico and Canada gang

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
12 hours ago, Megas said:

And they seriously expect to reopen schools soon. And the kicker is that the people in charge like Trump and Florida's DeSantis are still refusing to send their own kids to school and will keep them at home, and that right there sums up this whole debacle, they aren't stupid, they just don't care about you

I’d argue that schools are essential, honestly. In order for distance learning to work, students need to have a reliable internet connection, a safe home environment, and parents who can support them in their schoolwork. Many kids don’t have these things. There are kids whose parents are essential workers or whose parents don’t speak English, for example. And there are also kids with learning disabilities who can’t learn effectively from a screen.

Keeping schools closed will further widen the inequality gap. Yes, this is caused by much bigger problems in our society but with only a few more weeks until the school year starts, I think opening schools for students who can’t learn at home is the best choice.

Edited by SparklingSwirls

9 hours ago, You said:

just stay distanced from people and don't sneeze at them.

Too late. I've already sneezed at like, half a dozen people. They sneezed at me too. Most weren't wearing masks, the ones that did just had their sneeze blasted into their own faces. I heard from a friend who heard from a friend who heard from a friend who heard from their neighbor who heard from their relative a friend of theirs got the cororo virus. Turns out it was just the flu. Anyway, I'm buying 500 masks just for myself. I'm going to dig a bomb shelter and live off canned tuna, just me and my 500 masks. Can't take any risks in these dire times. 

10 hours ago, SparklingSwirls said:

I’d argue that schools are essential, honestly. In order for distance learning to work, students need to have a reliable internet connection, a safe home environment, and parents who can support them in their schoolwork. Many kids don’t have these things. There are kids whose parents are essential workers or whose parents don’t speak English, for example. And there are also kids with learning disabilities who can’t learn effectively from a screen.

Keeping schools closed will further widen the inequality gap. Yes, this is caused by much bigger problems in our society but with only a few more weeks until the school year starts, I think opening schools for students who can’t learn at home is the best choice.

Right here is the US in a nutshell though. The system that the US operates on is entirely broken and instead of it ever being fixed, we go with terrible measures that will only make the pandemic worse. When schools start opening again (and being forced to do so by Trump and his gang of idiots), this already terrible situation is going to skyrocket and I don't think there will be any hope of controlling it at that point. For a place that consistently claims to be the greatest country to ever grace the Earth, it sure is doing everything in its power to make the pandemic worse beyond repair. We can't fix anything else so we instead take the route of ruining whatever else we can. That's how it feels. That's how it has always felt. Ever since the pandemic started and the mostly disastrous US response to it, my life has somehow been even more of an endless anxiety cycle. I don't see that getting better any time soon. 

• Brohoof 1

I honestly don't think we will. We'll just adapt and get used to it. 

We got used to the flu and pneumonia, which are far deadlier illnesses. We don't lock everything down when those resurface each year. Covid will just be another illness to deal with. Next year, things will be back to normal, Covid or not.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Denim&Venöm said:

I honestly don't think we will. We'll just adapt and get used to it. 

We got used to the flu and pneumonia, which are far deadlier illnesses. We don't lock everything down when those resurface each year. Covid will just be another illness to deal with. Next year, things will be back to normal, Covid or not.

I'm more likely to believe that than all this "the world is coming to an end" bullshit.

I already said that humans are capable are improving themselves just as there are irresponsible people who only make it harder on themselves and others around themselves. I don't like it when extremists who claimed everyone in a group is like one thing. The reality is there's always a mixture of good and bad people: responsible people who improved things and are responsible people that make things worse.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
59 minutes ago, You said:

Injustice of others do not qualify for injustice of your own.

What's all this about injustice? I'm just saying we all sneezed at each other

And this reckless and not caring attitude is why you got 4.5m infected while Germany has 200. 1/22 of yours while 1/4 of the population (my statement of 1/15 was based upon 3m infected).

Germany is like the size of New Mexico my dude. Germany only has 80 Million people in it. Do I have to walk You through this

And this reckless and not caring attitude 

I'm not reckless. I'm very very scared, trust me. I am just terrified. 

Edited by Olly

13 minutes ago, Olly said:

What's all this about injustice? I'm just saying we all sneezed at each other

Sneezing is one way to spread the coronavirus.

And what makes this disease so dangerous is that a COVID carrier can infect someone else and never show symptoms. 40 percent of infected carriers are asymptomatic.

2 minutes ago, Dark Qiviut said:

And what makes this disease so dangerous is that a COVID carrier can infect someone else and never show symptoms. 40 percent of infected carriers are asymptomatic.

Isn’t that a good thing though? It means the death rate is much lower than we may have previously thought.

Well I guess there is still the concern about long-term effects.

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

When schools start opening again (and being forced to do so by Trump and his gang of idiots), this already terrible situation is going to skyrocket and I don't think there will be any hope of controlling it at that point. 

Not necessarily. Daycares have been open this whole time and are doing just fine: https://www.npr.org/2020/06/24/882316641/what-parents-can-learn-from-child-care-centers-that-stayed-open-during-lockdowns

(edited)
13 minutes ago, SparklingSwirls said:

Isn’t that a good thing though? It means the death rate is much lower than we may have previously thought.

Well I guess there is still the concern about long-term effects.

It’s one reason why this contagious virus spreads so out of control. They don’t show symptoms for a few days or at all, yet as they go outside, they can spread that to another person, who spreads to another, and so on, and it multiplies. The initial carrier may never show symptoms, but others can. Wearing a mask outside and (If given the option) staying home reduces the risk of spreading.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, You said:

I was under the impression you meant to say They sneeze at me, so I sneeze at them!

And I have explained in detail how that doesn't hold up.

Yes, reckless. You don't care what you do with others, or are at ignorant beyond a fault. If 4.5m infected and about 160k deads can't convince of the seriousness of the issue, nothing can.

Honestly? You are not even questioning what your government could have done, or might have done too less.

See, this is why talking to non-native english speakers is really difficult. You don't seem to understand what I'm saying, when I'm being serious or not, nothing. I don't even know if we can have a conversation when you don't really know what I'm saying and I struggle to understand you as well. You're making lots of accusations, too. This: 

1 hour ago, You said:

Yes, reckless. You don't care what you do with others, or are at ignorant beyond a fault.

Let me back up, why don't you tell me what I did that was reckless in the first place? 

you say I don't care about what I do to others. What exactly makes you say that? you have to base this on something before you just say it like you know. 

Edited by Olly

37 minutes ago, You said:

It is a bit under question whether children can be infected, infected as much or can carry the virus to others if not.

It is fine to be skeptical of the possibility of children being infected by COVID19, but there is substantial evidence that a significantly low amount of children actually contract it.

"'What we found was that people under 20 were about half as susceptible to infection as people over 20,' Eggo says." (source)

"We estimate that susceptibility to infection in individuals under 20 years of age is approximately half that of adults aged over 20 years, and that clinical symptoms manifest in 21% (95% credible interval: 12–31%) of infections in 10- to 19-year-olds, rising to 69% (57–82%) of infections in people aged over 70 years." (source)

"Among 149,082 (99.6%) reported cases for which age was known, 2,572 (1.7%) were among children aged <18 years." (source)

"Much of what we know today is based on reports out of China, where the outbreak began. There 2.4% of all identified cases were in children under 19 years old. An even smaller number within this group of children had severe symptoms, 2.5%, or what the World Health Organization (WHO) described as 'a very small proportion'." (source)

With that said, I agree with @SparklingSwirls in that schools should re-open.

• Brohoof 2