Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you know about France?

Cursed-Fate

6 minutes ago, RainbowDash187 said:

I can only agree. I think the most interesting part of history are places you can still visit and expirience yourself. Next year, if the virus doesn´t intervene, I will be flying to russia and visit moscow. I am so hyped to see the Lenin mausoleum. You probably know what that is. The russian people are voting to remove Lenin´s body from the mausoleum, which I think is dumb, because it is one of the most interesting sights ever. I mean to see the body of Vladimir Lenin will  be a very special moment of my life. Actually seeing the face of a dictator that died almost 100 years ago, who indirectly started the cold war will probably be a very menacing feeling. Wow this conversation is going on for a while but I love to talk to other people that are interested in the same things as I am.

6a1bfbc7767a2d03c4f97b1626319c5b.jpg

I'm enjoying that discussion very much myself:kindness:

And yeah, seeing the Lenin himself must be an astonishing experience:squee:

I also hope the whole virus thing dies down quickly, tho it's not going too much in that direction for us in France, not gonna start a SARS talk here but rn, it's worse that at the first high point. But the virus apparently had a new mutation that deleted it's most dangerous properties.....and I said I wouldn't talk about it:blush: it's hard not talk about those things:sealed:

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Cursed-Fate said:

I'm enjoying that discussion very much myself:kindness:

And yeah, seeing the Lenin himself must be an astonishing experience:squee:

I also hope the whole virus thing dies down quickly, tho it's not going too much in that direction for us in France, not gonna start a SARS talk here but rn, it's worse that at the first high point. But the virus apparently had a new mutation that deleted it's most dangerous properties.....and I said I wouldn't talk about it:blush: it's hard not talk about those things:sealed:

My dad always talks about it, without him I would probably not know that the virus was outside of China, he watches the news all the time. We in Austria have the highest growth of infected people since.....well ...... ever. We daily get around 2000 new infections. I myself am not scared but I don´t want anyone of my family to get it. I hope you and your family is handling the current situtation well and nobody is sick. If anyone in your family has contracted covid i wish them all the best.

Edited by RainbowDash187
forgot to add a word for the sentence to make sense
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
17 minutes ago, RainbowDash187 said:

My dad always talks about it, without him I would probably not know that the virus was outside of China, he watches the news all the time. We in Austria have the highest growth of infected people since.....well ...... ever. We daily get around 2000 new infections. I myself am not scared but I don´t want anyone of my family to get it. I hope you and your family is handling the current situtation well and nobody is sick. If anyone in your family has contracted covid i wish them all the best.

Erm..... Highest growth haha..... Erm.... In France, it's 50 000 daily, but scientists say they estimated at 100 000 every 24h, that's sounds really big like, I almost can't believe those numbers, but the news are the news:( latest number is 57 000.... So yuh...

Also thanks, no one is currently infected my close circle, family or friend, but I've got fragile people's in my surrounding too, have to be extra careful:sealed:

Edited by Cursed-Fate
Forgot half of my phrase
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Cursed-Fate said:

Erm..... Highest growth haha..... Erm.... In France, it's 50 000 daily, but scientists say they estimated at 100 000 every 24h, that's sounds really big like, I almost can't believe those numbers, but the news are the news:( latest number is 57 000.... So yuh...

Woops I meant we have the highest growth in our country. We never had this many infected people daily in Austria. I know that other countries are suffering more because of covid than Austria, but that depends on the on the population, I don´t know how many people live in France but i guess it´s higher than 8,8 million people. Still 50 000 are still 50 000 every day it does not matter what the population of the country is. Every single person has the same right to be healthy, it doesn´t matter if your country has 8 million people living there or 1 billion people. Everyone should feel well and happy

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Cursed-Fate said:

Also thanks, no one is currently infected my close circle, family or friend, but I've got fragile people's in my surrounding too, have to be extra careful:sealed:

Yeah situation in France is fucked up; gotta be weary.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Jon_Snow said:

I took French for three years in school, so I know about tbe country and its culture. The cuisine is amazing. 

It is indeedy, tho we don't eat fancy things on a daily basis, we still enjoy quite a bit classy dishes:kindness:

• Brohoof 2

Oui oui baguette!

asdfjdflsjk sorry that was my first thought! I really don't know much about France. I should know more because I grew up in New Orleans, which was heavily influenced by the French, but despite that I know very little!

@Cursed-Fate If you want, I'd love to hear some of your favorite things about France! I'm always excited to learn about other countries.

Edit: Oh I just remembered, I learned a bit about French colonialism in Northern Africa and parts of the Middle East during one of my courses. Other than that, I think a lot of the things I think I know about France are probably stereotypes.

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Cursed-Fate said:

It is indeedy, tho we don't eat fancy things on a daily basis, we still enjoy quite a bit classy dishes:kindness:

Spoiler

kebab tomate salade oignon, la base

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
16 hours ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

Oui oui baguette!

asdfjdflsjk sorry that was my first thought! I really don't know much about France. I should know more because I grew up in New Orleans, which was heavily influenced by the French, but despite that I know very little!

@Cursed-Fate If you want, I'd love to hear some of your favorite things about France! I'm always excited to learn about other countries.

Edit: Oh I just remembered, I learned a bit about French colonialism in Northern Africa and parts of the Middle East during one of my courses. Other than that, I think a lot of the things I think I know about France are probably stereotypes.

Oh dear..... Hmmmm so, my favourite things about My own country errrr... lemme think for a sec....

Aight, got it. I'd like to start by saying that even if it's not the most spoken language, it's one of the most influancial. After the reign of Guillaume, the duc of Normandie and while Philippe the first was around We had invaded England (around the year 1800) . And for 30 years or so, we had it as a part of our own country, that is untill they took it back. But during those years of occupation, we laid upon thy the french culture and its words. Hence why the english language has such a greta proportion of french in it. I'm not gonna do a thesis about iut, you get  the idea and i have other fun facts to tell:blush:

As you might have guessed, i love its rich history, for 1600 years, the kingdom grew into a strong and relatively important wordly power. So i'm gonna spend much time on historic facts or i'll have you read for 2 hours a long brick of text:sealed:

Food, oh deary, How can i not be proud of the culinary country by excellence. Without even talking about haute gastronomie, normal food is great. It'll confirm stereotypes, but french stereotypes are often true:yay: Baguettes indeed, wine of many sorts (3 for the most, red rosé white, after them are variants, chimerasif you want;)) but French alcohol isnt only wine, cidre from the northern, Champagne from, well, the Champagne region, yes it's a region. You might know of French cheese, those otherworldly flavours, arrrrrr i crave them moisturised milk:kindness:. I could go on and on about food, but yeah, it's already a long text and i've said only three things, I'll do one more or it'll be too long:squee:

Music, French singers, song writers, interprets.... There are so many, the pioners and those who made the basis for music as we know it here, those who inspired generations, we call them 'Les grands de la chanson française', you could translate it by the greats of French songs. I'll give you a few names but, even if their songs are timeless, their autors aren't. We have lost so many of the greats, less than half remains, it personaly saddens me, maybe you'll know some of those names. I'll Give you 5 of them:

Charles Aznavour, He was without a doubt one of the greatest of the greats, hundreds of song if not thousands... we lost him.

Johnny Halliday, He was not the greatest lyrisist but his voice came from an other dimension, such power, he had sold 110millions album, we lost him too.

Daniel Balavoine, A young man, singing for the youth, he had a great destiny, even having a chance in foreign countries. But his helicopter crashed during Paris Dakar, some say he was assasinated for his speeches, he was lost.

Jacques Brel, lyrist and interpret, he was giving so much energy on stage he always lost weight at an alarming rate, one day he left on a boat without a word, we lost him too

Michel Polnareff, Some may argue why i'm including him on the list, but he deserves it, lyrics, melody, he did most things, was betrayed, lost his loved one, went on exhile, and still came back. He's still very present and popular even in japan. That's the rbight note here, he is still alive at 76.

Phiew, that was pretty long, I hope i didn't bore you wityh all that talk, was a pleasure telling you things i like about my dear country:kindness:

15 hours ago, Xe__or said:
  Hide contents

kebab tomate salade oignon, la base

Yuh;)

Edited by Cursed-Fate
  • Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Cursed-Fate said:

You might know of French cheese, those otherworldly flavours, arrrrrr i crave them moisturised milk:kindness:. I could go on and on about food, but yeah, it's already a long text and i've said only three things, I'll do one more or it'll be too long:squee:

French cheese is great, but it's been some time since I've had some; I'm living off Swiss cheese - we got the city Gruyère after all :orly:

29 minutes ago, Cursed-Fate said:

Charles Aznavour, He was without a doubt one of the greatest of the greats, hundreds of song if not thousands... we lost him.

Spoiler

ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d96

• Brohoof 1

@Cursed-Fate Wow thank you so much for putting so much info in your response!!

I find languages and their influences so interesting, so the French occupation of England is fascinating from a linguistic standpoint, not to mention how interesting the history is! (I'm a history major in college lmao, I just love history in general so much)

I really do need to learn more about France's worldwide history. I mean, after all, it had a big impact on the place I grew up in! 

Yesss, I think I would love the food in France! Bread, cheeses, and wines are marvelous, and I've heard incredible things about French cheese specifically.

I'll have to check out some of those musicians you talked about! If you have any songs in particular you think I should check out, please let me know!!

Thank you again!! :eager:

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

Which North African countries, if you don't mind my curiosity?

• Brohoof 2

I think I can remember the colors of the flag without looking it up. Is it Blue White and Red? I don't know the order, but I can image white being in the middle. Left is blue and right is red? I am not going to look it up.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Funtime Splashee said:

I think I can remember the colors of the flag without looking it up. Is it Blue White and Red? I don't know the order, but I can image white being in the middle. Left is blue and right is red? I am not going to look it up.

That is right, yes; right on the left would be weird :bea:

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Xe__or said:

Which North African countries, if you don't mind my curiosity?

Hey! The ones I learned about in my course were mainly Algeria and Morocco, but I looked it up and the following African countries were once colonized or owned by France:

French North Africa: Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia

French West Africa: Ivory Coast, Benin, Mali, Guinea, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Togo, Nigeria, Gambia

French Equatorial Africa: Chad, Central African Republic, The Republic of Congo, Gabon, Cameroon, São Tomé and Príncipe

East Africa/Indian Ocean: Madagascar, Mauritius, Djibouti, Mayotte*, Seychelles, Chagos Archipelago, The Scattered Islands, Comoros, Réunion*

All of these should be the modern countries names, not necessarily what they were called when they were under French rule. I put a star next to the two still owned by France today. If you want to see when the years during which each was controlled by France, here's the link. Obviously if you want more detailed info, I'd recommend looking somewhere other than Wikipedia, but this is a quick overview!

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

Hey! The ones I learned about in my course were mainly Algeria and Morocco, but I looked it up and the following African countries were once colonized or owned by France:

French West Africa: Ivory Coast, Benin, Mali, Guinea, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Togo, Nigeria, Gambia

French Equatorial Africa: Chad, Central African Republic, The Republic of Congo, Gabon, Cameroon, São Tomé and Príncipe

East Africa/Indian Ocean: Madagascar, Mauritius, Djibouti, Mayotte*, Seychelles, Chagos Archipelago, The Scattered Islands, Comoros, Réunion*

All of these should be the modern countries names, not necessarily what they were called when they were under French rule. I put a star next to the two still owned by France today. If you want to see when the years during which each was controlled by France, here's the link. Obviously if you want more detailed info, I'd recommend looking somewhere other than Wikipedia, but this is a quick overview!

France has the second largest empire in the world, that's one pretty darn amazing fact, and of course, only second to England, but like, they colonized everything so yuh. If I remember correctly it was under Mr Charles de Gaulle we decolonized africa:sealed:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
6 hours ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

@Cursed-Fate Wow thank you so much for putting so much info in your response!!

I find languages and their influences so interesting, so the French occupation of England is fascinating from a linguistic standpoint, not to mention how interesting the history is! (I'm a history major in college lmao, I just love history in general so much)

I really do need to learn more about France's worldwide history. I mean, after all, it had a big impact on the place I grew up in! 

Yesss, I think I would love the food in France! Bread, cheeses, and wines are marvelous, and I've heard incredible things about French cheese specifically.

I'll have to check out some of those musicians you talked about! If you have any songs in particular you think I should check out, please let me know!!

Thank you again!! :eager:

It is no problem, I loved responding. It's hard to choose songs from the artists I talked about, as there are many of them, but I'll give you two songs for each that I deem to be great for an introduction:squee:

Charles Aznavour : La bohème ( songs about a Time no one can experience nowaday) and emmenez moi ( being free in général)

Johnny Hallyday : l'envie (being left with no wishes when you are successful) and Vivre pour le meilleur (living life at 100%)

Daniel Balavoine: SOS d'un terrien en detresse (being lost as a young man) and Tous les cris les sos (hopelessness)

Jacques Brel: Amsterdam ( the disgusting reality) and ne me quitte pas (your other half left, it's terrible)

Michel Polnareff : letter a France ( his exhile and his pain) and Goodbye Marilou (distant love)

Those are my interpretations of each, but they are yours to comprehend. Hope you like them:kindness:

Edited by Cursed-Fate
Doing it without checking the actual titles lol bad idea
  • Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Cursed-Fate said:

Jacques Brel: Amsterdam ( the disgusting reality) and ne me quitte pas (your other half left, it's terrible)

Ces gens-là is great too.

9 hours ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

Oh don't worry, I know enough about what happened during the colonisation.

• Brohoof 2

On 10/27/2020 at 10:10 PM, Cursed-Fate said:

France has the second largest empire in the world, that's one pretty darn amazing fact, and of course, only second to England, but like, they colonized everything so yuh. If I remember correctly it was under Mr Charles de Gaulle we decolonized africa:sealed:

It was crazy looking that up, because I knew France had been the second largest empire, but it really is incredible the sheer amount of land it had in its empire! I've never studied the decolonization of Africa, and now that you've said that, I'm curious! If only I weren't taking a whole bunch of classes right now I'd look into it :(

On 10/27/2020 at 10:38 PM, Cursed-Fate said:

It is no problem, I loved responding. It's hard to choose songs from the artists I talked about, as there are many of them, but I'll give you two songs for each that I deem to be great for an introduction:squee:

Charles Aznavour : La bohème ( songs about a Time no one can experience nowaday) and emmenez moi ( being free in général)

Johnny Hallyday : l'envie (being left with no wishes when you are successful) and Vivre pour le meilleur (living life at 100%)

Daniel Balavoine: SOS d'un terrien en detresse (being lost as a young man) and Tous les cris les sos (hopelessness)

Michel Polnareff : letter a France ( his exhile and his pain) and Goodbye Marilou (distant love)

Those are my interpretations of each, but they are yours to comprehend. Hope you like them:kindness:

Thanks so much! I can't wait to listen to them!! :squee:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos said:

Oop, I hope I didn't flood you with more info than you wanted! I just saw you said you were curious, so I wanted to give you as much info as I could :coco:

Never apologize for knowledge; plus you didn't flood me or anything don't worry :orly:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...