Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you know about your ancestors?

Reecejackox

I can trace them back to the viking age so around thousand years back. Most of them very well known fierce vikings back in the day. Most well known would be Harald Finehair the first king of Norway but there are many more great vikings such as Leifur Heppni who discovered America. Then many many more essentially I know everything about my ancestor of that which was recorded so a thousand year back but also know due to the nature of Vikings having slaves that some also from Ireland and France. So it is interesting to think of indeed dudes.

In recent years though my ancestors were poets, writers and farmers in more recent mechanics and other jobs relating to machinery. Though as for writers I am also related to Snorra Sturluson the writer of the book prose edda that everyone knows a great writer he was. I am related to pretty much every viking you know, I'm in line for both the Norwegian and Danish throne so of royalty too.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

My grandma on my dads side was Cajun. 

And i know i have a relative who fought for Confederates during the Civil War and  was captured during the battle of Gettysburg.   He survived and apparently the house he lived in still stands somewhere in rural Mississippi.

Thats about all I really know

• Brohoof 1

I have a great grandfather who was actually President of the Philippines for a few years. My mom said that since she immigrated to America first, her sisters got to go with him in his motorcades to and from school. That and she also said that there were people that attempted to assassinate him in broad daylight. Apparently, some delinquent ran up to him and shot him once in the chest and once in the face and ran off. He didnt get far when locals heard the shots and tackled him. Even more miraculous, my great grandfather SURVIVED A POINT BLANK SHOT TO THE FACE. And that incident only strengthened his political campaign. He proceeded to serve only one term, however, as his son-in-law ran against him next election and won. 

Both my mother's maiden name and my father's last name trace back to the Anglo Saxons, though my great great grandfather on my mother's side was a Polish Immigrant to the US and my great great grandmother was Cherokee. He would help their daughter poison her husband.

Not much from my dad's side since my grandfather was an orphan with nothing but his name. Been meaning to take a genealogy test at some point.

I have been tracking my family tree lately so I have taken a bit of interest in learning about them. Most of the ancestors on my mothers side were from Sweden now I don't know a whole lot about them but I do know my great grandmother could speak 4 different languages. My mothers paternal grandfather was a doctor and my grandfather was the result of a affair. Nothing to really note on my fathers side except that my great grandfather was an engineer.

Edited by AriaTheLovely

I don't know much about my ancestors. In fact, all I've ever known is up to my grandparents on both sides of my family though I think one of my uncles was attempting to find out more about where we come from. I'm not sure if he's still working on that or he simply quit due to unknown reasons. So yeah, I only know as far back as the mid-1920s with my family which isn't really saying much.

My ancestors originally belonged to noble families from spain and france, before a few immigrating branches became mixed with a collective of native american communities. This created a schism between them and those representing the family heraldry in their genealogical documents, a division aggravated by the pathological greed of a few individuals who managed to tear apart the family with their obsessive pursuit of personal gain, some of which are still causing conflict to this day.
A story involving every dark secret expected from the eccentricity of high society. It is difficult to explain, because these people are spiritually devoid. Without their possessions they are nothing. It is a curious psychological condition, product of the denaturalization of previous generations in their respective homelands. A dissociation from nature mended by the introduction of some of my ancestors to the conscious culture of the native tribes.

The next generations followed in the medical tradition so prominent in this family, some of them becoming moderately renowned doctors and surgeons, to the point people will often ask about the last name if mentioned. At least until the most recent academic failure; myself.
To be honest, the family has been falling apart since before my conception, with many of the most capable individuals dying of cancer in their youth. One of which was my great aunt. Someone who shared a similar understanding to mine, on the dissociative condition of this world.
What remains is a shattered group of unrelated individuals barely connected to each other, after the original branching fractured. Resulting in a very dysfunctional family during my childhood development, which only furthered the eventual collapse of this bloodline. As the unresolved generational trauma was passed onto the remaining family members, myself included. Some of which are here to make sure the tree is put to rest. Our ancestors lost touch with the ideal world that proceeds the material one, the sacred was tainted by the religion of men, and by doing so, entropy took them all, in the form of a degenerative disease eating at them from the inside. The subtle distorted, and the physical followed suit.

I know the most about my paternal grandmother. My last name is Basque. I've traced the ancestry on that as far back as the 11th century, albeit to a select few people on my his side. He's had descendants who've been living in America since at least the early 1800s, from that area and Great Britain. My dad said one of them is James Lawrence who famously said "Don't give up the ship!" He also has Irish blood from immigrants who came a few years before the potato famine. I also found out that another one of his descendants was a judge in Brooklyn who, according to a newspaper article from the 1850s, survived being shot in a gunfight.

The rest of my descendants came to America in the early 1900s. My maternal grandmother is Russian/Ukranian and my grandparents on my mother's side are half Italian and half Sicilian.

My ancestors on my mother's side were Russian (where they lived would be called Poland now but it was the Kingdom of Russia at the time) and Jewish. They emigrated to England in the 1890s, presumably to escape the persecution of Jewish citizens in Russia around that time.

• 2 years later...

So far I’ve only been able to trace one part of my family tree, and the records go back to 1751 when my oldest known relative was born. He went on to fight in the Revolutionary War and assisted in the surrender of Burgoyne, and was at the battle of Saratoga and capture of N.Y. in 1776. The rest of the family history is sparse and basically covers our origins which are primary Poland and Germany on my dad’s side, and English and French on the distaff side, with roots in London that go back quite a long way. That’s as far as my family records have been researched with any result of note.

• Brohoof 1