Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should spoiling media be treated on the same level as arson, extortion, fraud, etc.?

PCutter

As in extremely heavy fines and/or decades-long jail time or whatever?

Because one of my friends in the past got their mouth busted up horribly for spoiling a movie. It's a bloody scene I never want to see again.

46 minutes ago, PCutter said:

As in extremely heavy fines and/or decades-long jail time or whatever?

"How long did you get?"
"10 years"
"What did you do?"
"I robbed a bunch of people. How long did you get?"
"15 years"
"What for?"
"I said that Darth Vader was Luke's father"

But really, are spoilers THAT bad? I never understood this.

I mean I usually go read about a movie before watching it so I at least know a bit of what I am getting into. Sometimes I'll even skim the "plot" portion of Wikipedia and decide that "yep, this is something I want to watch" or "No, looks like I won't like the ending, I'd better find some other movie".

If you really hate spoilers, then I guess you don't watch any history-based movies, because, you know that the Titanic sinks and a lot of the passengers die even before starting the movie.

EDIT: I guess if you told me who the culprit was in a detective story I would be a bit upset, but not by much. After all, I can still watch/read the story to find out how the detective managed to catch him.

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah they should make a public confession before hanging in front of millions jk

I do remember while I was watching avengers at the cinema some guy run inside and shouted "spiderman dies!" And run back out again lmao

Spoiling a movie or TV show doesn't make a person a criminal. It just makes them a complete *squee* who is asking for a swift kick in the bollocks if they happen to ruin an ending or event for a less than forgiving individual. I certainly don't condone violence but I also have no sympathy for a man who whacks a beehive of his own accord and complains about being stung.

Why would it ruin the movie? I mean I understand that other people do not like if I talked about a movie I have seen (and one they intended to see), so I don't do that, but I do not really understand the reason. Why would knowing that Darth Vader was Luke's father ruin the movie? You know that already if you watch the movie a second time.

On the same level as arson, extortion, and fraud? Are you serious? :yeahno:

You're too nice. I say, hang 'em high! :love:

But seriously, I hope you're not being serious because no regulation outside of an enclosed space for discussing the spoiled media, for example, an online forum, could ever feasibly prevent someone from spoiling a movie and would be ripe for exploitation. Everything gets leaked out these days no matter how hard companies try, so things are inevitably going to get spoiled. 

• Brohoof 1

I have but one response fitting this thread: No.

It should not be treated as arson and the like. Burn them alive!

And by burn them alive I mean diss them. In public. Good lord, could you imagine spoiling something? 

We only give the harshest of punishments here! 

Edited by Yakamaru
  • Brohoof 2

My friend was jumped simply because s/he thought it was a good idea to make some vague spoiler detail. Since it was a John Wick movie, the attackers thought it appropriate to give my friend a knuckle sandwich, saying the punishment fits with the film's theme. 

(edited)
On 10/19/2020 at 6:55 AM, LyraLover 💚 said:

The stupidest questions too, honestly. If he's actually serious about this, then that's an absolutely ridiculous idea.

On 10/19/2020 at 2:52 AM, cmarston1 said:

No. Why would you ask this?

My friend was jumped simply because s/he thought it was a good idea to make some vague spoiler detail. Since it was a John Wick movie, the attackers thought it appropriate to give my friend a knuckle sandwich, saying the punishment fits with the film's theme. 

Edited by PCutter

4 hours ago, PCutter said:

Since it was a John Wick movie, the attackers thought it appropriate to give my friend a knuckle sandwich, saying the punishment fits with the film's theme. 

What a bunch of assholes - resorting to violence over something completely meaningless like a movie. It's not like your fiend even prevented them from seeing the movie.

• Brohoof 1