Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did ponies lose their magic? Because they were domesticated!

North Star

Why did ponies lose their magic!? Well, I think unicorns lost their magic because they became tame. 

They lost their edge, their spike!

And all ponies and creatures who care about ponies have got to get it back!

I'm looking at you :P 

Gimme a picture of a creature standing up for pony freedom and you can stand with us!

image.png.715bf1f3bbee8f1be7773130f4dd3d02.png

• Brohoof 1

Maybe by "domesticated" it could be they have become so depended on tech for everyday things.  Why need magic if tech can come back the same results and way less use of energy in the end of things.  If you think about,  we humans have also done the same thing,   less work for the same out come from getting food to even getting around.   I mean maybe Twilight could have also done a huge spell to keep the sun and moon raising without need of her or that type of magic.  

• Brohoof 2

Domesticated? What are you talking about? I've seen fantasy worlds where as a rule magic and technology doesn't usually mix. The most common setting for a fantasy world is that people in it are stuck in middle ages.

From the technology point of view technology makes life so much easier for normal people where the wizards had to have a unique magic skill and has to study to use it.

Edited by RDDash

On 2021-08-22 at 12:48 AM, RDDash said:

Domesticated? What are you talking about? I've seen fantasy worlds where as a rule magic and technology doesn't usually mix. The most common setting for a fantasy world is that people in it are stuck in middle ages.

From the technology point of view technology makes life so much easier for normal people where the wizards had to have a unique magic skill and has to study to use it.

I've also seen fantasy worlds where both coexist quite well, tv and cameras yet dragons and such which I assume are magical creatures.

I've then seen the idea of magic vs science and when science comes near magic it doesn't work anymore and they are somehow opposites. Sort of like different professions or world views or such. 

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

I've also seen fantasy worlds where both coexist quite well, tv and cameras yet dragons and such which I assume are magical creatures.

I've then seen the idea of magic vs science and when science comes near magic it doesn't work anymore and they are somehow opposites. Sort of like different professions or world views or such. 

Personally I kind of like the ending of the Pixar's movie Onward shows how magic and Technology can actually co-exist together as each have their strength and weaknesses. not one is automatically better than the other

• Brohoof 2

On 2021-08-21 at 7:15 PM, Tao said:

Maybe by "domesticated" it could be they have become so depended on tech for everyday things.  Why need magic if tech can come back the same results and way less use of energy in the end of things.  If you think about,  we humans have also done the same thing,   less work for the same out come from getting food to even getting around.   I mean maybe Twilight could have also done a huge spell to keep the sun and moon raising without need of her or that type of magic.  

Kind of like Brave New World.

• Brohoof 1

Sigh. You people never learn.

Spoiler

Magic and tech, tech and magic. They are not competitors. Only someone living under a rock (aka not a weeb) would remain blind to the trend of magitech. Though, demonic swarms and spider girls can still evaporate your battle robots.

That said, our glorious writers are also living under a rock. I dare say they are not even in that phase when a soy-stained hipster watches Little Witch Academia and tries for the gazillionth time to make a lame western woke knockoff. They are still with pre-Nanoha magical girls where phones are just phones, and judging where things are going they'll be learning about code rather than the latest fantasy trends.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, so where does that leave us? Absolutely nowhere. Surprise! Not really. You and I both know they've just thrown in some modern shit and used the "no magic" problem for like the fifth time just for the sake of your average, common-as-dirt MLP plot that everyone should be recognizing by now. No shit is gonna get explained. What you fanfic is what you get.

Edited by Goat-kun
bad weather conditions

I don't think they are domesticated. I think it is because someone or something stole their magic, not because they were 'tamed' by someone else. Because they lost their magic, they developed the need / want for technology.

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Starforce said:

I don't think they are domesticated. I think it is because someone or something stole their magic, not because they were 'tamed' by someone else. Because they lost their magic, they developed the need / want for technology.

Or maybe! Magloria encapsulated them into giant magic crystals and consumed them all D:

Well Spike was a domesticated dragon and he didn't lose his dragon magic.

At least I hope not.

Sad

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-08-21 at 7:15 PM, Tao said:

It could be the other way around tho. At least I recall Doc Hooves in Slice of Life implying Equestria is technologically stagnant due to their dependence of magic :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 2

I don't know exactly how they lost their magic (whether that be by a villain or domestication due to technology), but I do know that it is unfortunate. G5 isn't even out yet, but I am already heavily missing the fantastical magic-centered world of G4. Equestria and it's strong dependency on magic helped make it the unique world it was, along with the ponies themselves. To think that the magic and uniqueness of Equestria could be replaced by modern technology that just mirrors our world, is very unfortunate.

If magic comes back in the movie however, that could help bring back some of the magical charm of G4's Equestria. Ponies might decide to go back to using magic for things and try to use it to bring Equestria back to its former glory. That being said, I doubt that ponies are just going to completely stop using modern tech if magic comes back, so unfortunately I doubt that magic would be able to reach its potential it did back in G4.