Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who created Equestria Girls?

JMTV99

I know Hasbro is behind all of this, but I don't know who individual mastermind at Hasbro created EQG in 2013. If you are huge EQG fans, do you guys know who?

This is not a dig nor a diss (on any induvial whatsoever), I'm just curious.

• Brohoof 1

There was a behind the scenes video somewhere on YouTube where you got to see the character designer artist of Equestria Girls draw the girls. I looked through my offline folder to see if I could find it but I never downloaded it. I wasn't the most happy about the design or the person who did that for Equestria Girls as she clearly thought she was doing the right thing (while I thought the designs didn't look as good as the FIM ponies). There are many ways you can design "human" pony characters. The character designer clearly thought she was the best for the task :worry:

• Brohoof 1

I need to be less lazy, here she is:

"I need to keep the look of the pony"

maybe should have been more like... "I need to keep Lauren Faust's design" to make me happy

Hasbro were also inspired by the fanart people were making of the ponies by depicting them as humans during seasons one and two before Equestria Girls was even conceived. I think their thought-process was fans wanted human versions of their favourite characters so they decided to go and do just that.

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, Megas said:

Honestly? I wanna say Meghan McCarthy played a part given she was the writer of the first two 

Sure.

1 minute ago, Splashee said:

There was a behind the scenes video somewhere on YouTube where you got to see the character designer artist of Equestria Girls draw the girls. I looked through my offline folder to see if I could find it but I never downloaded it. I wasn't the most happy about the design or the person who did that for Equestria Girls as she clearly thought she was doing the right thing (while I thought the designs didn't look as good as the FIM ponies). There are many ways you can design "human" pony characters. The character designer clearly thought she was the best for the task :worry:

1 minute ago, Splashee said:

I need to be less lazy, here she is:

Oh yeah! I remember that. Oh god, it's been so long. Yeah, I really did not like the character designs.

7 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Hasbro were also inspired by the fanart people were making of the ponies by depicting them as humans during seasons one and two before Equestria Girls was even conceived. I think their thought-process was fans wanted human versions of their favourite characters so they decided to go and do just that.

Okay, that's interesting.

• 4 months later...

The designs are OK. I like the fan art that makes ponies look human, but those designs are too realistic. Hasbro had to create designs that 1) look like the ponies 2) look like humans 3) do not obviously violate the copyright of some fan 4) can be easily animated 5) can be easily turned into toys.

While the high school setting is not that great, I guess it's a compromise too. They couldn't just create "Ponyville, but with humans" and some kind of sci-fi setting would probably be less popular with the intended audience.

• Brohoof 1