Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do I have a feeling Hasbro is gonna kill off G5 soon?

Gabi

I don't know why but I've been having this feeling that Hasbro will just kill Gen 5 off before it gets off the ground. Is anyone having this feeling or am I just going crazy?

• Brohoof 1

MLP has been one of Hasbro's headline franchises since the 80s, they own it and it has been successful for decades. They might be making more money from Disney's properties like Star Wars and Marvel just now but those properties are only available to them under license and they will always need to keep something of their own for when those licences expire.  Having just started with a new iteration of one of their own franchises it's extremely unlikely that they will pull the plug on it before the cartoon has even had a chance to generate sales for them.

• Brohoof 4

G5 is basically fresh out of the oven and also fairly popular. MLP makes Hasbro a lot of money, so killing it off this early would be the equivalent of throwing that money into a campfire.

• Brohoof 4

15 hours ago, Gabi said:

I don't know why but I've been having this feeling that Hasbro will just kill Gen 5 off before it gets off the ground. Is anyone having this feeling or am I just going crazy?

Hmm.... I have had the feeling it was never G5 to begin with. Just a movie.

However, I am going to be proved wrong if a TV series shows up. I'm waiting, Hasbro! :mlp_wat:

• Brohoof 2

The movie was #1 on Netflix for a while and now they're just going to throw everything away, all that time and money in the trash while they still have a show to produce for later next year. Pretty sure what you're feeling's just a false premonition. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

all that time and money in the trash while they still have a show to produce for later next year.

I would love to know who owns the rights to the 3D pony assets. If Hasbro did, they could have the show produced at the same time as the movie, save money and time. That's why you go with 3D in the first place, Hasbro.

Boulder Media and Netflix have quite a lot of control over our (my) precious MLP.

• Brohoof 2

I doubt it. Seems like MLP is the most popular thing they have now. The others off the top of my head are G. I. Joe, Barbie, Transformers. Transformers was really big while the live action movies were out but I doubt that sold many toys.

transformers definitely sold toys. gi joe is the mehhh one for sure @Fluttershutter...

I have a bad feeling that the two 44 minutes special is gonna be bad.... and the rest.... who knows...... still in a scary spot...... hope it pulls off a gen 5 miracle....cross fingers for the ponies! because they don't have one!!!

• Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

Why would they kill off something that has only just started? 

Exactly.

Not to mention FIM/G4 is MLP's most successful franchise, and ANG was Netflix's #1 movie.

@Gabi, no need to worry.

• Brohoof 2

If the toy sales aren't good enough say next year and in 2023, Hasbro are very likely to end G5 and attempt a G6 a few years down the road. To Hasbro, the toy line is the most important thing when it comes to their brands. Even if an animated companion piece to a particular toy line is a huge hit, they judge success on the toys because of being a toy company first and foremost. Right now, G5 isn't going anywhere as the potential it possesses is too big to ignore. At this same time say in 2023? Only time will tell.

5 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

If the toy sales aren't good enough say next year and in 2023, Hasbro are very likely to end G5 and attempt a G6 a few years down the road. To Hasbro, the toy line is the most important thing when it comes to their brands. Even if an animated companion piece to a particular toy line is a huge hit, they judge success on the toys because of being a toy company first and foremost. Right now, G5 isn't going anywhere as the potential it possesses is too big to ignore. At this same time say in 2023? Only time will tell.

so you're saying if we want gen 5 to survive we need to buy their toys?

that's not true! gen 4...... wait it did? they're sale dropped? ohhh.... 

okay bronies we better buy the merch to save Equestria once again....

On 2021-10-20 at 10:35 PM, Gabi said:

It'd be counterproductive for them to kill Gen 5. 

But what do you think they'd do to kill it?  End the TV series after too few seasons, before it gets a chance to get really good?  Invest too little money into the series and make it basically a giant toy commercial (i.e. what some figured G-4 was going to be)?  Inject hot-button issues into the series and alienate the audience?

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2021-10-26 at 5:50 PM, HereComesTom said:

It'd be counterproductive for them to kill Gen 5. 

But what do you think they'd do to kill it?  End the TV series after too few seasons, before it gets a chance to get really good?  Invest too little money into the series and make it basically a giant toy commercial (i.e. what some figured G-4 was going to be)?  Inject hot-button issues into the series and alienate the audience?

I think it's beacuse I'm just grieving G4 mostly because how FiM helped me figure out I was Transgender at a young age along with it helping me cope with Lost Childhood. Though it migh be due to seeing how other companies kill off something very eairly before it could really take off like how Disney treated The Owl House. Which could be the reason why I think Hasbro would kill G5 so soon but idk. 

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, Gabi said:

I think it's beacuse I'm just grieving G4 mostly because how FiM helped me figure out I was Transgender at a young age along with it helping me cope with Lost Childhood. Though it migh be due to seeing how other companies kill off something very eairly before it could really take off like how Disney treated The Owl House. Which could be the reason why I think Hasbro would kill G5 so soon but idk. 

How did Owl House get killed?  Was it simply cancelled in spite of how well-written and well-done it was?

37 minutes ago, HereComesTom said:

How did Owl House get killed?  Was it simply cancelled in spite of how well-written and well-done it was?

The reason why The Owl House got cancelled was because it didn't really fit the Disney brand. Since Owl House was a lot more serialized than Disney Channel's episodic fare, the execs decided to pull the plug on it. If the show were to came out on Disney Plus instead of Disney Channel, it would've been so successful since streaming had a lot more wiggle room than cable television.

As for the topic at hand, I doubt Hasbro will killed off G5 since there is a huge investment into the MLP brand and Hasbro want to push it forward.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, JMTV99 said:

As for the topic at hand, I doubt Hasbro will killed off G5 since there is a huge investment into the MLP brand and Hasbro want to push it forward.

I sure hope you're right about that.  G-5's series has plenty of potential, and the movie left so many unanswered questions that could drive the series.

• Brohoof 1

...they have 2 OVAs and 2 seasons in on gen 5......what made that early? that pretty much solidified gen 5....... it's actually up to US now if we want gen 5 to last longer....

SO BUY THEIR MERCH NOW NOW NOW:derp:..... 

but seriously if you want it to last longer buy their merch.

I suppose they might if it doesn't do well we have to remember that g4 was wondrous for them. There was a lot of hype and you know the fandom pretty much kept it going full speed the entire time so essentially it depends on that. Yet you know it seems to me that the type of animation the g5 is will take a lot longer to animate opposed to g4 therefore if we do get seasons it'll likely be fewer episodes with then longer intervals which is fine but the pony drought is never easy and only the true veterans know truly know that experience all to well. 

That said will they kill it off, no they won't probably however I wouldn't expect it to be like g4 haha. I mean come on those of us who remember the hype around g4 know that if there was such hype for g5 it would be all over YouTube all over 4chan you could not use the internet without seeing g5 and yet I have only seen it occasionally on here. This does not seem close to the hype as g4 had and the passion for the show and the fandom then was way more. Yet you know that doesn't mean they won't continue it so long as they sell toys they're going to. Of course hasbro seeing there is not as much hype for g5 as g4 is likely going to focus rather on something else then my little pony. Yet the g4 hype and the fandom loyalty at least makes it certain we'll always have ponies though I'm sure Hasbro will probably try going back to g4 they know that would sell and as such it makes sense for them to focus on that profit wise. Since the gen 5 is slightly risky they don't know how well perceived it will be or has been and I'm sure the toy sales will answer that. 

Edited by Fluttershyfan94