Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Tell Your Tale get more than 70 episodes?

phantompone1148

If you do the math, 70 episodes of Tell Your Tale doesn't even add up to 6 hours of content, and since they're cheap, easy to produce, and well-liked, I can easily see more than 70 5-minute episodes getting ordered.

The first thing I think about when it comes to a show is its continuity. I am not thinking how many one-time episodes there will be, but what the story will lead. Now when this show has decided all the Mane 5 are just together, living together, doing their lives like their old life didn't matter, then what will the real show do? Will the real story writers watch all these short YouTube clips? Two seperate universes? G5.5?
This was not what I was expecting from a franchise like MLP. From 9 seasons and huge fan base to short YouTube clips. We already had Pony Life, and it simply wasn't good enough to keep people engaged.

:mlp_icwudt: It has to compete with click baits on YouTube, and you know, click baits always win. Always.

• Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

70 episodes seems borderline excessive for a YouTube series consisting of shorts. There is no need to exceed three seasons of a YouTube shorts series in my opinion.

I agree. People will forget about the episodes or fail to keep up by then.

• Brohoof 3

I just checked the trending on YouTube, and it was just click baits all the way. Nothing even close to MLP. Thumbnails of huge edited faces making grimaces.

It is not a platform that will give more than 70 episodes of MLP. I am quite sure it was a bad marketing move to use YouTube for G5.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Splashee said:

It is not a platform that will give more than 70 episodes of MLP. I am quite sure it was a bad marketing move to use YouTube for G5.

What other alternative is there that can reach a wide audience?

Edited by Sparklefan1234

On 2022-04-20 at 9:58 AM, Splashee said:

I just checked the trending on YouTube, and it was just click baits all the way. Nothing even close to MLP. Thumbnails of huge edited faces making grimaces.

Agreed.  I really don't get G5 from a story perspective, and it's not looking like it's faring much better from a marketing perspective.  FiM was just FiM to start with.  It ran a two-part pilot that continued forward as a series of 22 episodes, which is how TV shows usually start.  G5 has a movie that acts as its pilot, a differently named series of YouTube shorts, and will soon finally be getting a proper Netflix series...with yet another title.  Moreover, I still don't feel as though the characters have quite been developed enough yet to the point where I can just mindlessly binge a bunch of shorts starring them and have as good a time as I did with FiM and EQG.  A series of shorts feels like something that should have come later, not before, as if dessert is being served as an appetizer, so maybe that's why it feels flat to me, and it certainly doesn't make the current generation of the franchise easier to follow.  

On 2022-04-20 at 5:34 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

What other alternative is there that can reach a wide audience?

True. FiM had a TV network behind it.  Maybe G5 is just the victim of coming out in a time when streaming culture is taking over.  YouTube is a platform used to drum up interest in all manner of things, so why not?  I would even go as far as to say that it's currently more relevant as a platform than Netflix is.  Sure, Netflix is still a popular subscription streaming service, but it went from being relatively uncontested to having a lot of competition, and Disney + has all manner of things from Marvel and Star Wars, to even having both The Simpsons and Family Guy!  Prime Video is also becoming quite the competitor, snapping up much of what Disney doesn't.  Stranger Things 4 can't come soon enough for Netflix, and I really don't think MLP G5 is the kind of series that will push Netflix subscriptions. 

So...I kind of get turning to YouTube to reach out to a wider audience, i.e. kids on tablets.  Yeah, come to think of it TYT is that kind of series.  No wonder it doesn't come across as being all that deep.  Still, it might also be G5's chance to drum up interest in a series that's otherwise locked behind a Netflix subscription.