Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm not sure what to make of this.

IHazTommyWiseau

I don't see why he should even care. It's not like we're taking his money and donating it. It's like people are saying that some Pony mods for TF2 ruined the game. Like, nobody installed it to their computer. Look at me ramble again.

I feel I should also input that while I personally don't like with having sex with a plush toy, what people do in their personal time is their business and no one should really care if other members of the fandom clop. If people like it and keep it personal, it's not my business to go on about how I don't like it.

• Brohoof 3

It's invalid because there's already a charity...? I shouldn't have to point out why that's wrong.

I look forward to seeing all the people this documentary is going to change, because you know... Tons of people who don't actually care about My Little Pony are going to watch it... Face it, hardly anyone who doesn't actually watch the show is going to watch a documentary over 10 minutes long about the people who do watch it. It won't change anything. All it's doing is taking advantage of the people who care enough about the way people think to the point where they're willing to donate cash.

It absolutely is a waste of money where there's so many better causes that $200 grand can go to, that's a fact, but It's not my place to tell people how to spend their money so whatever.

I really admire Lauren Faust, but she has gone overboard with trying to convince everyone that cartoons shouldn't just be for their target audience just as much as some of her fans have. And while I agree with her, the way she's going about it is contradictory to the very values she has embedded in the show

I get what you're saying, but you may need to calm down a bit.

Is it a waste of money? Yeah, but money is wasted everywhere in every fandom.

Money wasting is nothing new and if you personally didn't "waste" money on it then you have nothing to worry about.

I don't think that they are misleading anyone into donating. It's just a documentary, not the funding for an Orbital Friendship Cannon! It's not going to change much, and I'd like to think many people can see that. They just want to help their heroes in their project and they want to see Bronycon.

Also if you are worried about Bronies and charity then have no fear, there are plenty of Bronies helping out with charity.

In fact, when Humble Indie Bundle 3 was out Bronies pitched in to over double Notch's donation and take the top spot on the leaderboards. A sign of Bronies helping out a good cause! (Indie Developers, Electronic Frontier Foundation, and Child's Play)

Humble Indie Bundle 4 is going on RIGHT NOW! And the Humble Bronies have the No. 2 spot right now at $9,000.00+.

I think we're fine as far as Charity goes so why not, let's waste money on ourselves!

Ha, watch a few people hate on the guy in the vid just because he hates on a small portion of bronies because they shove themselves into a plushie and shove the fact that they are bronies in everyone's faces.

Oh wait. That's already happening.

You act like those two kinds of Bronies are one in the same.

I love the fact that such a unique Plushie exists, but I oppose the extremism of forcing Ponies upon others.

I just have one question.

Why do so many freaking high amounts of money go into these things? 0-0

It takes a lot of money to produce a feature length professional quality documentary. Here are a few examples of how the money will be spent:

We can't believe we're already talking about this, but you are probably wondering what happens if we exceed our goal. We've got some ideas of how to put the funds to good use.

* We want to add additional cameras to get better coverage of the BronyCon convention itself. Ideally we want several camera teams rolling on the convention action and a camera team pulling people into a private room to interview them away from the chaos.

* We want to add extra shoot days to show Bronies at home, away from the convention.

* We want to add extra shoot days to interview more of the people who work and act on MLP.

* We want to add extra shoot days to include international fans and conventions.

* We'll be able to pay the fees to enter the finished program into film festivals.

My guess is they'll probably also spend some of it on getting a distributor to release it to the public.

It's invalid because there's already a charity...? I shouldn't have to point out why that's wrong.

My point is this fundraiser isn't going to stop people from donating to charities. I personally have donated to a couple of brony charities and this fundraiser. People are going to spend their money on what they want, regardless of what else comes up.
  • Brohoof 6

You act like those two kinds of Bronies are one in the same.

I didn't intend to imply that, sry. Still, I can honestly say I hate bronies that hate on anyone that isn't a brony.
  • Brohoof 4

I kind of agree with the guy, though he doesn't seem to know it wasn't an idea of the "community" to make the documentary. de Lancie's friend wanted to make it and used Kickstarter for its intended purpose.

The most hilarious thing is that this guy thinks documentaries aren't biased. They are, how can you cut down hundreds of hours of film down to ninety minutes and not give preference? Even if it isn't intentional, there is bias in everything because human beings are inherently biased. I'll pass judgement when I see it.

So much money to be made, though. The guy should take a suggestion from one of the comments and make a Kickstarter documentary about Kickstarter documentaries.

Documentaries are made to express an opinion by showing real world events.

Opinions are biased. Documentaries express bias, no exceptions.

Arguing the bias of a documentary is like arguing the bias of a News Network like Fox News.

Of course its biased, everything is biased! End of story!

• Brohoof 1

I get what you're saying, but you may need to calm down a bit.

Is it a waste of money? Yeah, but money is wasted everywhere in every fandom.

Money wasting is nothing new and if you personally didn't "waste" money on it then you have nothing to worry about.

I don't think that they are misleading anyone into donating. It's just a documentary, not the funding for an Orbital Friendship Cannon! It's not going to change much, and I'd like to think many people can see that. They just want to help their heroes in their project and they want to see Bronycon.

Also if you are worried about Bronies and charity then have no fear, there are plenty of Bronies helping out with charity.

In fact, when Humble Indie Bundle 3 was out Bronies pitched in to over double Notch's donation and take the top spot on the leaderboards. A sign of Bronies helping out a good cause! (Indie Developers, Electronic Frontier Foundation, and Child's Play)

Humble Indie Bundle 4 is going on RIGHT NOW! And the Humble Bronies have the No. 2 spot right now at $9,000.00+.

I think we're fine as far as Charity goes so why not, let's waste money on ourselves!

I'd really like to know how much cash has been donated to every charity by bronies and then compare it to the $200,000.00+ given to this pointless documentary. Obviously there are more than this measly one given by Humble Bronies, but I can't conceive so much has been given that it's fair for bronies to idly stand by and say "let's waste money on ourselves!" while the very show that they want to support preaches kindness and generosity. This is selfish and the only thing it will accomplish is making people who watch the show feel slightly more normal

(edited)

I am with the guy in that I wish this 200k could be matched by some of the brony charities. If people apparently have so much disposable income that six people can drop 10k on a documentary about something that didn't even exist two years ago, and there are many other people who can raise 60k in one day, why aren't there more to donate to the many charities?

Then again, it may be the effect of de Lancie, Faust, and Strong giving it an air of credibility. The Brony Thank You Project only raised 20k in the same amount of time, and I've seen other brony documentary attempts go unfunded.

Edited by Tupin86

(edited)

While he brings up good points I think he missed the purpose of the documentary. Pretty much all the media coverage of FiM has been negative, so this documentary was made to give out a positive view of the fandom. Ergo enlightening other people about why we watch it and enjoy it. He is right that it'll make some fans feel better about themselves, but also it should help stop all the biased hatred against us.

And also I thought that Lyra plushie was a hand puppet, apparently I was wrong.

Can we stop arguing?

Edited by Tom
  • Brohoof 5

I'd really like to know how much cash has been donated to every charity by bronies and then compare it to the $200,000.00+ given to this pointless documentary. Obviously there are more than this measly one given by Humble Bronies, but I can't conceive so much has been given that it's fair for bronies to idly stand by and say "let's waste money on ourselves!" while the very show that they want to support preaches kindness and generosity. This is selfish and the only thing it will accomplish is making people who watch the show feel slightly more normal

The show itself is a bit more human than you realize.

For instance, I don't remember the fate of the world laying in the hands of celebrating the Grand Galloping Gala!

The last bit is still true. Selfish? Well yeah, but who isn't?

I also find it very sad that tons of people apparently feel the need to spend so much money on a documentary to make themselves feel justified in watching the show. It shouldn't take things like that to feel justified.

Bronies are sadly only human. They cannot be as true to the Elements of Harmony as the Ponies are, they can try, but Love and Tolerance just doesn't work in our world. They fall to the desire to be selfish and make documentaries for themselves.

I am with the guy in that I wish this 200k could be matched by some of the brony charities. If people apparently have so much disposable income that six people can drop 10k on a documentary about something that didn't even exist two years ago, and there are many other people who can raise 60k in one day, why aren't there more to donate to the many charities?

Then again, it may be the effect of de Lancie, Faust, and Strong giving it an air of credibility. The Brony Thank You Project only raised 20k in the same amount of time, and I've seen other brony documentary attempts go unfunded.

You should really go to the Kickstarter page. You wonder why people donated so much?

Depending on how much you donate you might get a dinner with the cast, signatures and free stuff galore.

People are cynical and usually only go beyond if they get something in return.

Or, how about everyone just stops talking about this until it comes out, then we can judge it for what it is worth.

We're only making ourselves angry over something that really is just meant to be entertaining.

• Brohoof 4

And also I thought that Lyra plushie was a hand puppet, apparently I was wrong.

Can we stop arguing?

Eeyup you were wrong! You see you can use Lyra as a Hand Puppet because you have hands, however Lyra herself in incapable of doing so because she does not have hands.

You make Lyra sad! :(

/sarcasm

Seriously though yeah we can stop arguing, hopefully.

If not then I guess this thread will just be removed.

Or, how about everyone just stops talking about this until it comes out, then we can judge it for what it is worth.

We're only making ourselves angry over something that really is just meant to be entertaining.

Good idea, unless someone can get me a time machine.

As for the argument concerning why so much money has been donated to this, read what Colon wrote, depending on how much you donate you can get free stuff. Ten thousand dollars for dinner with some celebrities? You'd be surprised at just how many people would pay that.

Will he brings up good points I think he missed the purpose of the documentary. Pretty much all the media coverage of FiM has been negative, so this documentary was made to give out a positive view of the fandom. Ergo enlightening other people about why we watch it and enjoy it. He is right that it'll make some fans feel better about themselves, but also it should help stop all the biased hatred against us. And also I thought that Lyra plushie was a hand puppet, apparently I was wrong. Can we stop arguing?

This. We really should get some form of positive coverage, and I'm happy that this documentry will likely provide it. :)

This documentary seems like a guy trying to capitalize off the fandom of bronies, and it seems he isn't doing it well.

Meh.

I think that's what de Lancie thought of it when he brought the idea of it to him, but he realized that it was too entertaining and insightful not to, so more people from the show were brought in as producers.

(edited)

The show itself is a bit more human than you realize.

For instance, I don't remember the fate of the world laying in the hands of celebrating the Grand Galloping Gala!

The last bit is still true. Selfish? Well yeah, but who isn't?

I also find it very sad that tons of people apparently feel the need to spend so much money on a documentary to make themselves feel justified in watching the show. It shouldn't take things like that to feel justified.

Bronies are sadly only human. They cannot be as true to the Elements of Harmony as the Ponies are, they can try, but Love and Tolerance just doesn't work in our world. They fall to the desire to be selfish and make documentaries for themselves.

Saying that "we're only human" is an extremely sad attempt in justifying doing things you know are wrong, and at the same time it's laughable. You're basically saying "you're right, I recognize that the right thing would be to not fund this documentary and donate the money to charity instead, but I'm only human so I'm incapable of doing that."

The ponies in the show were conceived by humans. Their personalities were given to them by humans, and thus humans are perfectly capable of being "as true to the elements of harmony as the ponies are". And I didn't say that this $200,000 documentary was determining the fate of the world, God knows the government wastes a hundred times more than that daily. Well I could write a book about this but that's as far off topic as I'm going.

Edited by Hollowshield

I have listened to the points he tries to state, but for the most part I am uncertain about his description of Bronies in general. I mean sure, we don't need to have a documentary to express our appreciation toward the show, but why is people donating money to support this project seem like such a bad thing to him? It also doesn't help that he never really says anything positive about Bronies in the video even though he does believe we have the right to express our opinion. I dunno, he seems knowledgeable on certain points, but I still think he is missing something in his argument.

I watched that video, and it brought up every single point I thought of when I first learned of that documentary.

His point is that the documentary has an intense amount of bias and will server zero purpose other than to try to validate why people like the show. All the video will be is (to sum it up) "MLP is cool and awesome and so are the people that like it". It will NOT show you the entire story regarding the fans. What will the documentary show? Semi-attractive people enjoying a show and having a ton of fun. Anyone that isn't attractive TV material will be passed up (a common TV tool). Anything regarding the community that isn't leasing will be ignored (such as the part of the community that have pony sex toys, anthro stuff, hard core RP, that kind of stuff).

To summarize:

What is the point in pouring so much money into something so useless and biased? The only real reason is to try and justify their own like for MLP, which is silly. Why can't a person just enjoy it and leave it at that?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

He, and a few others here, are missing the whole point of the documentary. It's not so much to show how great bronies are, but to show that we're normal people and not all (or mostly) depraved wierdo losers who like to jerk off to ponies. That's the point of the documentary; to show that were just like any other person. Which is why I and many other bronies approve of the documentary, it's not that I truly give damn what a bunch of people I don't even know think of me, but it would be nice if people would realize that were just like any other normal human being, and not sick freaks want to rape ponies and need to grow up.

It's not about the show, it's not about how awesome for watching a show about candy colored ponies, but to show were just normal human beings who happen to enjoy a show primarily targeted for little girls.

Edited by Pegasus25
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I have a variety of feelings on this topic. For the record, I donated money to this. Please indulge me for a second:

1) I don't understand how making a documentary about Bronycon and some of the Bronies attending is "shoving" anything down anyone's throat. I hear this accusation a lot from anti-Bronies about Bronies in general. However, while it does happen once in a while (let's face it, every fandom has its share of jerks), the only consistent meaning I can find in the complaint is that anti-Bronies get tired of people talking about ponies so much. "I don't like seeing MLP everywhere." However, that is not a reasonable complaint. Popular things will be talked about more often than less popular things. If I'm playing a game, or reading threads in a forum, I don't rage at people who talk about Call of Duty or Adventure Time, even though I'm not a fan of those things. I exercise the self-control to NOT engage in a discussion that doesn't interest me. I don't start acting like a victim and screaming about how I don't want to have to encounter people talking about these subjects. Why is this a reasonable demand from Anti-Bronies?

So, if you see a Brony being rude or obnoxious, feel free to call him or her out, by all means. I don't appreciate this fashionably cynical individual insulting me or anyone else, however, because he feels that us financing a documentary with OUR MONEY is somehow shoving anything down his throat.

2) The point about how much money was raised is irrelevant. It could have gone to a charity? Certainly. So could have all the money he has "wasted" on anime figurines and video games. Think about all the money you've "wasted" buying things you want that aren't necessities. Does this make you a horrible person? Do you feel that I have the right to tell you what you should or shouldn't do with your own money?

I can't go to Bronycon, so I'd like to see a documentary about it. I would also like a tribute to the people who have done amazing, creative things in the fandom. I don't feel my money has been "wasted," or that I have been "exploited." I am using my money to finance something I would like to see financed. Does it feed orphans? No. Neither do the millions amassed by people who create video games or blockbuster movies.

3) I dislike this notion that something is "propaganda" if it doesn't talk about the negative aspects of a fandom. Documentaries have to be selective in what they include. Why should they talk about the seedy minority of a fandom in a family-friendly documentary? I don't think the filmmakers are claiming that their film will be the ultimate representation of all aspects of Bronydom.

I've said my piece. Please feel free to disagree, as long as can give me good reasons why you do.

Edited by PonyExplosion
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I disagree somewhat with the video, and I agree with several points already brought up in this conversation.

One, the person who made the video is both somewhat of a hypocrite, and biased himself. One thing that anti-bronies constantly say is they are tired of seeing ponies, but like what PonyExplosion said, it is not a valid argument, as popular things shall be naturally more discussed than less popular things. Ponies are a popular, (or is becoming popular) so it is more common to see them.

Two, I disagree with the notion that documentaries focusing on the positive automatically declares it to be biased propaganda. The documentary focuses on Bronycon, what goes on there, and who attends it all in a family-friendly format. NOT the Brony fandom in general, or a documentary that focuses on the shady minorities that frankly, are present in almost all large fandoms in some way or form. There are several fanmade documentaries already that focus on that.

The documentary's main purpose is to expose who we really are: a bunch of normal guys who like a good show, and like to get together to do fun stuff. And although many fanmade documentaries say that just as clearly, this one is different, as it's professional and celebrity endorsed. Even more, while John De Lancie may be hosting the documentary and of course, voiced Discord, he probably would be one of the more unbiased in his own opinion. He loves the bronies, of course, but he seems to be very sensible about it, along with the producers. The goal here is to stop or at least lessen the unecessary hate that many normal bronies receive due to misinformation or assumptions from haters. Many of us are undeserving of such bullying, and this documentary helps to alleviate that.

And lastly, the person in the video seems to not understand why so much money from the fandom is coming in. It's a pattern that I've seen where money seems to flow quite freely through the fandom in all different directions, pooling here, being sent there, going in and going out. While money is coming in to fund this documentary, which many bronies want to see regardless if they want to stop hate or just want to watch it for entertainment purposes, money is also being sent to several charities in the thousands at the same time. It's one of the things that I like about this fandom, because it's a system where the flow of money bring positive benefits to all parties involved. While one is getting money to sustain themselves, another is getting a handmade, beautiful plushie, or a very entertaining program. So basically, we are not wasting our money as this guy says. (Which he also is being a hypocrite as he also sounds like he would be willing to buy those "dolls" in a heartbeat when he instead could be donating somewhere else)

Edited by Brisineo
  • Brohoof 3

I watched that video, and it brought up every single point I thought of when I first learned of that documentary.

His point is that the documentary has an intense amount of bias and will server zero purpose other than to try to validate why people like the show. All the video will be is (to sum it up) "MLP is cool and awesome and so are the people that like it". It will NOT show you the entire story regarding the fans. What will the documentary show? Semi-attractive people enjoying a show and having a ton of fun. Anyone that isn't attractive TV material will be passed up (a common TV tool). Anything regarding the community that isn't leasing will be ignored (such as the part of the community that have pony sex toys, anthro stuff, hard core RP, that kind of stuff).

To summarize:

What is the point in pouring so much money into something so useless and biased? The only real reason is to try and justify their own like for MLP, which is silly. Why can't a person just enjoy it and leave it at that?

Now, while I'll certainly be glad to have something to show somebody who wonders just what in the heck a "Brony" is, I can say that, I, personally, don't need validation from anything. Bronycon fascinates me, as do the European Brony conventions the filmmakers will be visiting.

Moreover, I want to support someone who wants to make something that is respectful toward the Brony subculture, and who wants to celebrate the creativity and positivity of it. Almost any media interest in us is negative, and paints us all as emotionally-repressed manbabies. What is wrong with someone making a doc where they look at the good things, which are far and away the primary aspects of the subculture?

I'm pretty interested in what my fellow Bronies are doing at Bronycon and other Brony conventions. This documentary promises to provide a respectful look at what the fandom is up to at these cons. You'll need to forgive me, but I don't understand how this translates into me needing the film to validate my choice to be a Pony fan.

Also, as to the amount of money amassed for the project, the creators have already explained how this is going to be a professional documentary, which can take quite a bit of money. They were willing to do it on shoe-string budget of $60,000, but pony fans everywhere went above and beyond to really finance this thing well. This just means the doc is guaranteed to be awesome.

I have to say, on a side-note, that I love how people so close to the show have decided to embrace our weird little subculture.

Now, while I'll certainly be glad to have something to show somebody who wonders just what in the heck a "Brony" is, I can say that, I, personally, don't need validation from anything. Bronycon fascinates me, as do the European Brony conventions the filmmakers will be visiting.

Moreover, I want to support someone who wants to make something that is respectful toward the Brony subculture, and who wants to celebrate the creativity and positivity of it. Almost any media interest in us is negative, and paints us all as emotionally-repressed manbabies. What is wrong with someone making a doc where they look at the good things, which are far and away the primary aspects of the subculture?

I'm pretty interested in what my fellow Bronies are doing at Bronycon and other Brony conventions. This documentary promises to provide a respectful look at what the fandom is up to at these cons. You'll need to forgive me, but I don't understand how this translates into me needing the film to validate my choice to be a Pony fan.

Also, as to the amount of money amassed for the project, the creators have already explained how this is going to be a professional documentary, which can take quite a bit of money. They were willing to do it on shoe-string budget of $60,000, but pony fans everywhere went above and beyond to really finance this thing well. This just means the doc is guaranteed to be awesome.

I have to say, on a side-note, that I love how people so close to the show have decided to embrace our weird little subculture.

I don't mind there being a documentary. It just bothers me it won't be unbiased, fair, and complete. It can't be a real documentary without being unbiased ... otherwise it's just propaganda media.