Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm not sure what to make of this.

IHazTommyWiseau

I don't mind there being a documentary. It just bothers me it won't be unbiased, fair, and complete. It can't be a real documentary without being unbiased ... otherwise it's just propaganda media.

All documentaries are biased. This is because one cannot focus on everything, and so bias inevitably enters through the process of selecting what to include and what to drop, footage-wise.

Now, I get what you're saying. They're probably going to drop any footage they get of strange, obsessive behavior, and there probably won't be very many dog-butt ugly people in the final cut, even though there will probably be a lot of dog-butt ugly people attending. Your concern is that they're going to present a sanitized version of Bronycon and then use this sanitized image to score us brownie points in the wider culture by proving to 'normals' that we're not just a bunch of freaks, right?

I'll have to wait until the film is released to judge this, but it isn't a non-issue. However, I think they probably can avoid disturbing material while still making a film that is not 'propaganda,' considering Bronycon isn't predominantly disturbing stuff. I'm pretty sure, based off casting calls, that they're at least going to have some mentally-disabled people in the film, and are trying to follow Bronies from all walks of life.

I certainly hope the final product feels respectful but not overly sanitized. It is always a risk, however.

I'm willing to give the filmmakers the benefit of the doubt.

The documentary's main purpose is to expose who we really are: a bunch of normal guys who like a good show, and like to get together to do fun stuff. And although many fanmade documentaries say that just as clearly, this one is different, as it's professional and celebrity endorsed.

Most haters or non bronies have no clue who bronies really are.

And how much we can love MLP.

(edited)

The one part that pissed me off the most was the part where he called bronydom ''rape culture''

*shrugs* Gamers have even worse rape culture issues. It'll inevitably become an issue in any subculture of younger guys. There's also issues of racism among some segments of the Brony population, which I attribute to baggage carried over from Bronydom's origins on 4chan.

I feel confident, however, that these problems do not exist among the majority of Bronies. The racism has definitely gotten better over time as we've distanced ourselves from 4chan.

Most haters or non bronies have no clue who bronies really are.

And how much we can love MLP.

It'd be nice if their first impression of Bronies is something like this documentary rather than the number of media hit-pieces that exist about us.

Edited by PonyExplosion

Man, looking at all of the discussion about this in several different places, I don't know which is worse. The people who think it's a propaganda piece and that good documentaries should/can be unbiased, the people who think it's going to be full of "spaghetti and autism" (actual description) or lack it, or the people who complain that it's not going to capture who "bronies" really are.

If a person in the documentary really is so unappealing that you find the fact that you share the same fandom title as them that disheartening and weird, just say you aren't like them. Really, no one in the public eye cares. If this gets into the mainstream media, it will be a brief mention. While I was listening to Tara Strong's interview, I heard her say that bronies come from all types and paraphrasing her "the show has doctors and lawyers that watch it and it also has people who stay inside and do nothing all day watch it." The documentary is bound to capture both of these things.

I've asked this before, and I will ask it again.

Why do people assume that the majority of bronies don't have a life? What the guy in this video is ranting about matches with what mainstream media tells everyone about bronies. But it doesn't make any freaking sense. Hardly ANYBODY who likes MLP sees it more than just a hobby, and most of the people who do consider it a way of life are too shy to be obnoxious to people IRL. The people who do bother non-bronies are the minority. They're an obnoxious minority, but they're a minority nonetheless. Think of the obnoxious bronies as the Westboro Baptist Church of bronydom.

$200,000 is a lot, a LOT of money. I wish it was that easy to make that kind of money for other organizations that I care about. But you know? This documentary is being backed by legit people, and that gives me more confidence in its ability to deliver. They will be putting that extra money to good use so the documentary is very professional. It's not like it was started by some amateur film maker who is profiting from the rest of the donations.

I'm not against the making of this documentary. I don't need to justify myself for anything. I don't care who knows that I like MLP because I've always been a little quirky and I can take the heat if people tell me that I'm weird. I agree that it's not like it's absolutely necessary, but it will be nice to see something representing bronies in a positive light compared to the negativity we've received from the rest of the media.

• Brohoof 2

in my opinion he's right at some points. the thing is he is not talking about the general bronie who is just liking the show and thats it. he's talking to the ones that cant shut up about it. and thats totally cool if you talk about ponies to other bronies but i have to admit that sometimes ponies can become a bit to much of an obsession for certain people. now i'm not saying you shouldn't be obsessed with something that you like or say that your wrong or something like that. but i think he is clearly not seing the general public of bronies. just the jerkoffs that made the lyra fuckdoll... also, if your into that, i'm not the one to judge. but if you are PLEASE keep it to yourself. i have to agree with him at that point.

This documentary has raised over $300,000 but its not like any of it is going to be wasted on anything other than the movie. They said themselves that the more money raised, the more conventions and things they would go to. It's peoples choice whether or not they want to donate and if they have a problem with it, just don't donate. Its being backed by legit people and De Lancie himself said that he was tired of all the bad coverage mainstream media (like FOX) has given the Bronies and wanted to show people that this isn't what bronies are all about. With people like Lauren and Tara being a part of it as well I feel as though it should be in good hands. Even if it doesn't attract too many people outside the fandom at least it will be out there to inform all the people who listen to to things like FOX and think we're all freaks. I myself feel like this is a good Idea and at the very least should be an entertaining watch for us bronies as well as hopefully an accurate depiction of us for everyone else. There will always be people who make/enjoy R34 and other such things in fandoms and their will always be a certain amount of disagreement on things because nobody's perfect. This is my opinion, some will like it, others won't, but I love and tolerate you all just the same :D

.........whew that's all I got... apologies for the long winded rant.

• Brohoof 1

I also want to know why this guy thinks that Rainbow Dash is the worst role model for girls, ever... ummm... isn't the worst role model for girls ever some ditzy idiot girl who is subordinate to the jerkiest of men and dresses like a whore?

Seriously. How is Rainbow Dash a terrible role model for girls?

Seriously. How is Rainbow Dash a terrible role model for girls?

I disagree with the idea of her being a bad role model, and I think he is referring to her tomboyish nature, or possibly her competitiveness?

I disagree with the idea of her being a bad role model, and I think he is referring to her tomboyish nature, or possibly her competitiveness?

Competitiveness would be a more... appropriate negative aspect of her. But... it's not that huge of a flaw... :/

Being a tomboy is not a bad thing at all. She is feminine in her own way, and when that side of her is revealed, she's really quite cute.

We can't have those girls not falling into the lines outside of the social definition of feminine. That would just be outrageous heresy I say!

Yeah but there isn't really much with Rainbow Dash that would negatively affect a child's mindset that I can see.

(edited)

I don't get why he's making rule 34 such a predominant point. Rule 34 exists in nearly EVERY fandom. It's not some weird phenomenon exclusive to bronies, so why would we have to bring it up in a brony documentary?

Also, how is Rainbow Dash a bad rolemodel? Sure she's competitive, but is being competitive really a bad thing? Like every pony in the show, she has flaws, but she learns from her flaws. That, in my mind makes her a better rolemodel than the typical 'Is always perfect and nice' flawless kid show character.

Plus, what's so horrid about funding a documentary? Personally I think this guy is overreacting.

Edited by Eljordo

I think that Pinkie Pie is probably the worst role model, if anyone was to eat that much sugar...