Debate Pit: Closed for Renovation

Ice Princess Silky

Glitches and magic and red buttons -- oh my!

image.png

Presently, the site is undergoing some updates, changes and remodeling. You've probably noticed the glitches! But sit tight! The Forums shall be expanding into some newer content! The Debate Pit of Tartarus shall be closed for renovation, we may be moving it to another department. Please be patient as staff works restlessly to make some lovely changes! Thank you!

• Brohoof 8

Dangit, why did I install that button?! :laugh:

Hey, I have a suggestion regarding about where the Debate Pit should be moved!:toldya:

Spoiler

Trash Can Maskotka Macha - Stockowe grafiki wektorowe i więcej obrazów  Dowcip rysunkowy - Dowcip rysunkowy, Kosz na śmieci, Bez ludzi - iStock

On a serious note, however, the drama leaking from there was becoming a problem. Can't say I'm going to miss it. 

• Brohoof 4

You're doing an amazing job, bestie! Keep up the good work! :kirin: Can't wait to see what you have planned for the forums. Personally, I'm happy to see the debate pit gone. All it was doing was causing pain and creating dissension, things nobody wants here.

• Brohoof 4

I won't miss it. In my opinion that had no place here anyway and caused problems instead of building or strengthen this community.

So goid thing you did there. Orb approves

• Brohoof 3

I intend no disrespect whatsoever, but how many times are we going to have to get rid of Debate Pit and bring it back? I was actually somewhat fond of DP in its newly improved state, not taking it and comments in there I disagreed with too seriously. 

• Brohoof 1

Maybe we should have a debate pit that only involves pony related content? Right? I mean.... This IS the mlp forums... So the only thing i see the debate pit actually works here is when it involves ponehs....and not things from our world... I mean this IS the reason why we go to this forums. To get away from the stress and hassle of the world... Right?

I came here for the ponehs

52 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Maybe we should have a debate pit that only involves pony related content? Right? I mean.... This IS the mlp forums... So the only thing i see the debate pit actually works here is when it involves ponehs....and not things from our world... I mean this IS the reason why we go to this forums. To get away from the stress and hassle of the world... Right?

I came here for the ponehs

I come here for ponies too. However, while I am, again, not trying to be disrespectful, I don't understand why some people on this site think that there is something inherently wrong with us having a place on this site dedicated to discussing serious issues. Participating in Debate Pit is entirely optional. When I don't feel like reading or writing political discourse in DP, I don't do it. Simple as that. 

• Brohoof 2

Discussing serious issues here?.... I mean sure?.... But why though is what the vibe i get from others and me....although making it private might help? Or something. 

Plus discussing serious issues should have like a proper referee and judges or something or else it's just gonna get messy.i mean look at people at a proper debate? Even though they have a platform a judge etc. It's still messy. I don't think mlpforums staff are trained for this...

So maybe sticking to pony stuff and not the serious stuff... Cuz serious stuff needs to taken seriously and not done half heartedly etc.

1 minute ago, Kujamih said:

Discussing serious issues here?.... I mean sure?.... But why though is what the vibe i get from others and me....although making it private might help? Or something. 

Plus discussing serious issues should have like a proper referee and judges or something or else it's just gonna get messy.i mean look at people at a proper debate? Even though they have a platform a judge etc. It's still messy. I don't think mlpforums staff are trained for this...

So maybe sticking to pony stuff and not the serious stuff... Cuz serious stuff needs to taken seriously and not done half heartedly etc.

Also just putting things out there and no dissin on anyone

This is a controversy on all forums.

People have natural reactions/questions about the natural world and because it's off topic, these comments get their own 'place' which somehow always becomes a derogatory theme - 'debate pit' or 'thunderdome' or 'fight club', etc

It is a risk to the community either way. Without a place to debate, people will create topics, status updates or hijack other topics to express themselves. With a place to debate, people will bring up these frustrations, fears, or questions which are inherently challenging/controversial and go all out.

As an admin for a different forum, I have experimented with different strategies to handle this. None of them were perfect, but I think I found a good balance.

The problem can be broke down like this:

a) allow off-topic debates in General Discussion - pro: people can vent freely - con: the psychopaths take over and destroy the forum

b) do not allow any off-topic debating - pro: 'our town' control of information - con: people bring up issues in inappropriate places and more reprimanding takes place which causes resentment/alienation/loss of control

c) create a Debate Forum that show up in the feed - pro: people have a place to discuss off topic and if moderated correctly, works out okay - con: people can still see the topics and get upset indirectly

d) create a Debate Forum/Club that doesn't show up in any feeds and is unmoderated (truly a 'pit') - topics are invisible to all sans those who visit it directly - pro: people have a place to discuss off topic and because it is unmoderated, they have no shield to hide behind - con: it's inactive and slow, but can still cause resentment

Every community is different. But in my experience, having at least a 'basement' where people can 'smoke and drink' turns out to be the best (option d).

Option B is more challenging than people think, but it's also a good way to go. Leadership is vital in order to maintain the peace and harmony in any case, but especially this one.

Personally, it think debate is healthy. But it's not for everyone. Tolerating others, exposing yourself to diverse ideas, and learning to express yourself in a mature manner is vital to growth as a person.

Edited by Crystal Mirage
  • Brohoof 4

9 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Option D i approve!  Plus i can troll in there because it ain't moderated0 muhahahaha1l

Riiiight. It ends up balancing out rather quickly as certain types of people find out their shenanigans are met directly, their vitriol returned right back, and aren't able to cause the drama they intend. 

3 minutes ago, Crystal Mirage said:

Riiiight. It ends up balancing out rather quickly as certain types of people find out their shenanigans are met directly, their vitriol returned right back, and aren't able to cause the drama they intend. 

:please:

Forgive me for living under a rock and not exploring the site so much and seeing issues overflow from one section to another.

I haven't participated in as many debates as I used to since they can be quite time consuming and tiresome after a full day's work, but all of my experiences in the latest version of the pit have been extremely civil. Perceptions have been less than positive for those under certain labels, but these always seem to get called out without the vicious back and forth we used to have.

The only issue I've personally witnessed is newcomers who haven't met the criteria to participate in the debate pit yet, and choose to start discussing debate topics in other sections. It's not good when this happens obviously, but the reason we make rules is to help resolve issues and to better handle those that are doing a NoNo.

I remember this being much more prevalent when there was no debate pit at all.

I love moss covered rocks. They're a beautiful part of the garden scape. On the outside all is tranquil, but the closer we look the more we find that can be explored. If we lift the rock, we may find some critters crawling underneath that we're not the most fond of. If we leave the rock be, they'll continue to crawl about, while everyone continues to enjoy the garden. If we remove the rock, those critters will venture out, and they'll pop up in all kinds of unwanted spaces. The debate pit is just such a rock.

Spoiler

Edit: I did not open with that figure of speech with the intention of writing about rocks and stuff further on. Please don't percieve me as an undesirable critter! :adorkable:

Edited by SharpWit
  • Brohoof 4

@SharpWit

Well in my recent experiences there were several instances where users engaged in improper conduct. At least 6-7 users were banned from it in my recollection and it didn't draw in that much activity on the forum at all. Events drew in more activity than the Debate Pit. While I don't mind discussing in the debate pit, I honestly feel like it was pointless to do so. It was more of a way to kill time rather than to have actual conversation. 

Your analogy is thoughtful, but I don't think it's something that applies here. MLP forums is a forum for ponies. There doesn't need to be divisive politics on a wholesome site. We get enough of that on a daily basis. 

• Brohoof 3

Personally, to the extent that the Debate Section involved genuine attempts at argumentation rather than an exchange of insults, I find that it had very interesting discussions. And I would say that there is much potential for interesting discussions to be had for those primarily interested in ideas rather than those who pursue lesser ends. Regardless of whether I agree with a particular user's worldview, I appreciate those who have put effort into more strictly adhering to discussion and argumentation.

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 3

8 minutes ago, Props Valroa said:

@Crystal Mirage

I don't see why the staff should have to spend the extra effort doing something that isn't the focus of the MLP forum. If you want politics or edgier stuff - you can easily go to other forums. This forum was perfectly fine without it for years.

It's their job to handle content that doesn't focus on the context of the forum or topic, or that violates the rules. And it's not an easy job - ever.

Believe me - I understand where you are coming from. Two camps usually arise when this is brought up - one group doesn't want anything to do with off topic discussion/debate, the other prefers to have it so that that content doesn't spill into inappropriate areas. Like I pointed out, either approach has its risks, and the staff members that have been around know exactly what I'm talking about.

You cannot predict what people will get offended about.

Without a place for off-topic discussion, moderators will be forced to remove content that may otherwise be completely innocent, and this will frustrate/alienate members.

I'm not trying to persuade any particular approach. I want people to think about it. I'm perfectly fine with the 'our town' control if that's what the staff wants.

It might get weird though...just saying.

45471d8bf9ac4e7c7800923457783aa0.1000x57

• Brohoof 3

@Crystal Mirage

The Debate Pit as it was and as a concept I am generally opposed to. It was a massive headache for the staff involved. Why should the staff bend over backwards and go through the headache that many people were already wanting removed? There have been many users, throughout time, who wanted it removed. For the health of the community, I'd say it's for the best.

People can go elsewhere and discuss politics. DMs on this forum also works for that. I don't understand why it would be worth the effort for there to be a Debate Pit. The temptation of it gets the better of my judgement, and I'd rather that temptation simply not be there at all. 

Without a place for off-topic discussion, moderators will be forced to remove content that may otherwise be completely innocent, and this will frustrate/alienate members.

There is a place for off topic discussion. The off topic section. Just nothing political. The presence of the Debate Pit itself is what frustrated/alienated members on this forum, even those who didn't participate. That is what general users are not aware of. We as staff, are aware of it - and it was a problem for the moderation of the forum.