Friendship Melody - Winter Wrap Up!

Rikifive

23 minutes ago, Adariousmist said:

I am running Chrome on a pc, under MX Linux.  AMD Ryzen 3900x, 32gb ddr4 3200, 3070 GTX, 7tb total storage 5 of which is a couple HDDs.  I suppose my next step will be rebooting in to win10 and trying that.  Not expecting much better score, but still want to attempt one anyway.

That's even weirder, because it should work fine in Chrome. There are Linux users who played the game and it seemed to be fine as well. I'm not sure if that specific Linux distro could be responsible for this. :ooh:

You're the third person, who mentioned issues with input, and in all cases so far, just reloading the game seemed to solve the issue. Eh... Would be nice to be able to recreate this, so that I could get a hint on what could be the problem and eventually see, if the whatever patch I'd push would actually fix the problem. :c

• Brohoof 1

Rikifive
This post was recognized by Rikifive!

"Thank you for participating!"

Cagey was awarded the badge 'Friendship Melody - Winter Wrap Up'

How did it take me days to notice this? You made a game! :kirin: I'm not great at rhythm games, and certainly not on a keyboard, but this was great. 

wwr.thumb.JPG.088ee6361b1aa90c8c1c5d0da9142701.JPG

7 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

That's even weirder, because it should work fine in Chrome. There are Linux users who played the game and it seemed to be fine as well. I'm not sure if that specific Linux distro could be responsible for this. :ooh:

You're the third person, who mentioned issues with input, and in all cases so far, just reloading the game seemed to solve the issue. Eh... Would be nice to be able to recreate this, so that I could get a hint on what could be the problem and eventually see, if the whatever patch I'd push would actually fix the problem. :c

Could be as simple as downloaded cache interference I suppose.  Or it could be Chrome specific.  Running Firefox in the same OS did not present either of those issues.  Also, not thinkin this is gonna improve much:

AbysmalScore2.png

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

@Rikifive For some unknown reasons, my iphone refused to make screenshots when I'm trying to take a picture of my score... :worry:

Got another phone or a webcam?  Could get really creative if you are an artist, get paper you can see the image through, and trace it? lol ... just ideas.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Epic! It's a nice improvement for sure! :D Ah yes, playing without audio is sometimes easier, as it allows to focus on the notes themselves more. :darling: Very nice! e-cocosmile.png

I actually found it easier to focus on listening to the music 🎵. The game is very accurate with the rhythm :grin: (and now the song is also stuck in my head :ButtercupLaugh:)

So I made some improvement with my fin... I mean hooves! 3 stars!! :D

Screenshot_20230504-063837.png

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

How did it take me days to notice this? You made a game! :kirin: I'm not great at rhythm games, and certainly not on a keyboard, but this was great. 

wwr.thumb.JPG.088ee6361b1aa90c8c1c5d0da9142701.JPG

And I was worried the rainbow text on homepage may be too invasive, but turns out it's sneaky enough :D jk

No worries, it's still a good score tho! :D Thanks for playing! :catface:

1 hour ago, Adariousmist said:

Could be as simple as downloaded cache interference I suppose.  Or it could be Chrome specific.  Running Firefox in the same OS did not present either of those issues.  Also, not thinkin this is gonna improve much:

AbysmalScore2.png

I actually developed the game primarily on Chrome, then kept patching to support other browsers. If anything, I'd expect other browsers having troubles, not Chrome, and that's why it's interesting. I am using Chrome myself and never bumped into any such issues. This is quite tricky. :ooh:

You've also mentioned it's not too consistent - that once one thing breaks, another time something else, which makes it even harder for me to locate the problem. Uh, I really don't know, I presume you didn't check if the browser console was logging any errors? :mlp_icwudt: Any hint would be nice, otherwise I don't know without seeing it myself. e-raritytired.png

Sorry for the inconvenience. :c

I'm glad at least Firefox managed to put it to work. Perhaps Chrome on Linux (or this distro in particular) behaves differently than on Windows and causes problems. There are so many different browsers, devices, and systems.. Making browser games that work on all surely is challenging. :twi:

Either way, thanks for playing! :lookup:

1 hour ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

@Rikifive For some unknown reasons, my phone refused to make screenshots when I'm trying to take a picture of my score... :worry:

Different phones and different operating systems (and different versions of them) have their own ways of taking screenshots - have you tried checking out how to take screenshots on your device online or settings? (I found some nice tips for that on my phone there)

For example, on my phone, I can press [VOLUME DOWN] and [POWER BUTTON] at the same time to take a screenshot.

Alternatively, I can manually drag the top menu down (where wifi, bluetooth, network, muting phone etc. shortcuts are) and when I fully expand it, there is a button to take a screenshot.

I can also just knock on the screen twice to take a screenshot.

I was able to successfully capture the screen even if I had the game on fullscreen mode.

Maybe if you'd mention the device you have, I'd be able to find something. :P 

47 minutes ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

I tried a lot of things but nothing works! My phone doesn't want me to get a badge I guess! Good night! :LunaMCM:

Aww nu I won't let that happen! :lookup: No worries, we'll figure out something. e-cocosmile.png

32 minutes ago, Lunaholic said:

I actually found it easier to focus on listening to the music 🎵. The game is very accurate with the rhythm :grin: (and now the song is also stuck in my head :ButtercupLaugh:)

So I made some improvement with my fin... I mean hooves! 3 stars!! :D

Screenshot_20230504-063837.png

I think it may be up to one's preferences - if you can't feel the beat, sometimes coordinating your hooves with sight works better. :P Haha, everything according to plan! :lookup:

e-flutterwoo.png WOOOOOO VERY NICE! :D That's a decent score. :darling:

11 minutes ago, MarkusTactician said:

I'm no good on keyboard rhythm games, but here's my score from my latest attempt.

Screenshot2023-05-03210343.thumb.png.c87fe8291717c74225a9713b5799a070.png

That's not bad at all! ;) Thank you for playing! e-cocosmile.png

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Lunaholic said:

4 stars! Getting better :D

Screenshot_20230504-080058.png

Oooooo steady progress! At this point you're so close to 100% 👀👀👀👀👀

• Brohoof 1

Rikifive
This post was recognized by Rikifive!

"Thank you for participating!"

Twilight Sparkle ✨ was awarded the badge 'Friendship Melody - Winter Wrap Up'

This is a wonderful little rhythm game! Thanks again for making sure it worked on Firefox. :hug_day:What a nice way to revisit this G4 banger.

I love all the work you put into this, Riki - it's so polished for what it is between this thread, the menu sound effects, multi-device and multi-browser support, and everything!

image.png

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Rikifive said:

And I was worried the rainbow text on homepage may be too invasive, but turns out it's sneaky enough :D jk

No worries, it's still a good score tho! :D Thanks for playing! :catface:

I actually developed the game primarily on Chrome, then kept patching to support other browsers. If anything, I'd expect other browsers having troubles, not Chrome, and that's why it's interesting. I am using Chrome myself and never bumped into any such issues. This is quite tricky. :ooh:

You've also mentioned it's not too consistent - that once one thing breaks, another time something else, which makes it even harder for me to locate the problem. Uh, I really don't know, I presume you didn't check if the browser console was logging any errors? :mlp_icwudt: Any hint would be nice, otherwise I don't know without seeing it myself. e-raritytired.png

Sorry for the inconvenience. :c

I'm glad at least Firefox managed to put it to work. Perhaps Chrome on Linux (or this distro in particular) behaves differently than on Windows and causes problems. There are so many different browsers, devices, and systems.. Making browser games that work on all surely is challenging. :twi:

Either way, thanks for playing! :lookup:

Different phones and different operating systems (and different versions of them) have their own ways of taking screenshots - have you tried checking out how to take screenshots on your device online or settings? (I found some nice tips for that on my phone there)

For example, on my phone, I can press [VOLUME DOWN] and [POWER BUTTON] at the same time to take a screenshot.

Alternatively, I can manually drag the top menu down (where wifi, bluetooth, network, muting phone etc. shortcuts are) and when I fully expand it, there is a button to take a screenshot.

I can also just knock on the screen twice to take a screenshot.

I was able to successfully capture the screen even if I had the game on fullscreen mode.

Maybe if you'd mention the device you have, I'd be able to find something. :P 

Aww nu I won't let that happen! :lookup: No worries, we'll figure out something. e-cocosmile.png

I think it may be up to one's preferences - if you can't feel the beat, sometimes coordinating your hooves with sight works better. :P Haha, everything according to plan! :lookup:

e-flutterwoo.png WOOOOOO VERY NICE! :D That's a decent score. :darling:

That's not bad at all! ;) Thank you for playing! e-cocosmile.png

I really tried everything! I can do a screenshot everywhere on my phone but it seems that it doesn't work when I'm on the MLP Forums! There is also a message that appears when I try to saying that for avoiding private life issues and for security, I can't take a picture there! Which I really don't understand! I tried to find something in the settings to solve the problem but I found nothing. But thanks for caring about my problem... :(

9 minutes ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

I really tried everything! I can do a screenshot everywhere on my phone but it seems that it doesn't work when I'm on the MLP Forums! There is also a message that appears when I try to saying that for avoiding private life issues and for security, I can't take a picture there! Which I really don't understand! I tried to find something in the settings to solve the problem but I found nothing. But thanks for caring about my problem... :(

I have to wonder if you could share screen on discord app or something like that / stream on discord and have someone else get the image, then send it to you here?  Another option is writing down the id on the bottom right and posting that as a response.  I'm sure the ID can be retrieved just like a session?  Can also manually type out the categories of the score and numbers.

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, Adariousmist said:

I have to wonder if you could share screen on discord app or something like that / stream on discord and have someone else get the image, then send it to you here?

Thanks for the idea but I prefers to not make any discord call... I hope you can understand. I'll try to figure out something.

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

Thanks for the idea but I prefers to not make any discord call... I hope you can understand. I'll try to figure out something.

see my edit

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Adariousmist said:

I have to wonder if you could share screen on discord app or something like that / stream on discord and have someone else get the image, then send it to you here?  Another option is writing down the id on the bottom right and posting that as a response.  I'm sure the ID can be retrieved just like a session?  Can also manually type out the categories of the score and numbers.

This is a great idea! Could the ID work, @Rikifive?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
5 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

This is a wonderful little rhythm game! Thanks again for making sure it worked on Firefox. :hug_day:What a nice way to revisit this G4 banger.

I love all the work you put into this, Riki - it's so polished for what it is between this thread, the menu sound effects, multi-device and multi-browser support, and everything!

image.png

Aww sure, thank you for feedback! Your testing on different browsers really helped with that! ;)

It's been tough 3-4 weeks for me, but it was so worth it. :darling: Thank you very much, I really appreciate that! e-glimlove.png

Also ayy it's a pretty decent score actually! You're getting better at this! :D

5 hours ago, Aurora876 said:

Bam! Let's goooooooo

ScreenShot2023-05-04at5_04_50AM.thumb.png.5ad6e4c6aa9ce9833b79bba29c3f4cf3.png

Awesome! :D

@Aurora876 on his way to get 100%:

arnold.png

5 hours ago, Lektra Bolt said:

I did this on a chromebook. I'm terrible at rhythm games lol

Screenshot 2023-05-04 6.42.34 AM.png

Not bad! :darling: With enough practice I'm sure it would get better. :BrightMacContent:

Thanks for playing! :catface:

3 hours ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

Oooh that changes everything. I looked online for more information about this and I've bumped into Huawei website. They talked about introducing this feature for security reasons, with this absurd explanation:

your phone might be picked up by someone else and they may try to steal your information by taking screenshot of the App that contains this sensitive information

Yeah, steal by taking a screenshot that will be saved locally on the device:ButtercupLaugh:

pickpocket100.png

I guess they assume the "someone" will have a phone they can send the screenshot to afterwards via Bluetooth or something?

So at this point "someone" can just take a photo of information displayed on the other phone's screen. Not only it'd be faster, they also wouldn't leave potential traces, that the phone was being touched, and of course it pretty much defeats the purpose of this rather annoying limit.

So yeah, I don't understand that either. Considering how this information really angered everyone in the comment section, I assume it is not something you can disable, otherwise they wouldn't flame Huawei like they do there.

My current phone is Huawei, that I bought over 5 years ago, and to this day it runs just as well as it used to, and the battery is still in a really good shape, considering I game on it often - this is infinitely better experience than I had with any Samsung phone. My device doesn't have such limits, and it also supports Google - many things have changed in Huawei since then. Unfortunately if they are like this nowadays, I probably won't buy any of their devices again, even though I love my current phone.

Uh-I spam too much again.

Anyway, if you happen to have a Huawei phone, this might be the case, and if not, maybe something similar, and I'm afraid it probably is what it is.

3 hours ago, Adariousmist said:

While using Discord is probably a plausible workaround, I'd hate to trouble anyone with overengineering this that hard. My priority is to make others have some fun, struggling with getting a screenshot like this would probably bring the opposite experience. :twi:

3 hours ago, Shiny Silvermoon said:

This is a great idea! Could the ID work, @Rikifive?

If you're concerned about getting the badge, then no worries, I'll make an exception and give you one anyway. It's not your fault after all. :) I honestly didn't expect such screenshot restriction to be a thing. :ooh:

Though if you'd be willing to, for the sake of the event rules, you could write down the results you've got (all the statistics displayed there) along with the UID, and just type it here in reply, so that there wouldn't be any doubts. But this is entirely up to you, I don't want to trouble you with this. :fluttershy: You'll get your badge regardless. :)

That inconvenience aside, I hope you had fun. :catface:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Aurora876 said:

Yoooo! Cracked 85!!

ScreenShot2023-05-04at11_04_30AM.thumb.png.782433803d8207d3b20b2570b627d53e.png

It's crazy to see how much I'm improving like every single time. Love it.

e-flutterwoo.png wooo what an improvement! :D

Look everypony at the effects of practice™️ !^_^

3 stars is very nice already! :darling:

• Brohoof 1

As woeful as my playing is, this is seriously addictive! :eager: I have no idea how far I am from two stars, but I finally got a completion rate of more than 50%. :yay: Not sure how much more I can improve, but I'm still learning a lot – it was only a few games ago that I finally got the long notes right. :grin:

winterwrapup.thumb.png.6e012ce2d5c97e1aea452ffcf450dd1c.png

Quite an improvement from the first game where I got a negative score (I was too ashamed to post that). :ButtercupLaugh:

4 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

As woeful as my playing is, this is seriously addictive! :eager: I have no idea how far I am from two stars, but I finally got a completion rate of more than 50%. :yay: Not sure how much more I can improve, but I'm still learning a lot – it was only a few games ago that I finally got the long notes right. :grin:

winterwrapup.thumb.png.6e012ce2d5c97e1aea452ffcf450dd1c.png

Quite an improvement from the first game where I got a negative score (I was too ashamed to post that). :ButtercupLaugh:

Looks like you're starting to get the hang of it. Hooray!!

• Brohoof 3