Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you say "I don't care" or "I don't mind"?

Trot Shuffle

Which one do you say? Like, if someone asks you to do something or they ask you for permission to do something. Or, any other situation where these responses would work.

Personally, I've been trying to get into the habit of saying "I don't mind" because "I don't care" comes across as much more rude than I intend.

• Brohoof 3

I usually say "I don't care", because genuinely, a lot of the time, I just don't.

You make a very good point though about the whole "coming across as rude" thing, and I know should probably try to be more careful and considerate.

• Brohoof 2

If something's not a bother to you, both "I don't care" and "I don't mind" are innocuous in meaning. The former statement can be used rudely, yes, but only if to be rude is your intent.  

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

If something's not a bother to you, both "I don't care" and "I don't mind" are innocuous in meaning. The former statement can be used rudely, yes, but only if to be rude is your intent.  

This though ^

• Brohoof 2

Other than the matter of emphasis, there is another point to be made. "I do not mind" and "I do not care" do not necessarily work in the same context. For example, if someone was to ask me to do them a favor, I would say "I do not mind doing it." instead of "I do not care about doing it" because the latter does not properly convey what I mean.

• Brohoof 6

1 hour ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

Other than the matter of emphasis, there is another point to be made. "I do not mind" and "I do not care" do not necessarily work in the same context. For example, if someone was to ask me to do them a favor, I would say "I do not mind doing it." instead of "I do not care about doing it" because the latter does not properly convey what I mean.

Very true.

By the way-- Literally every time I see you say something Luna, you're just SPITTING facts left and right. I love it lol, you're amazing. :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

I also lean towards saying "I don't mind."

"I don't care" can be more applicable in certain situations. In those cases, I just say "I'm indifferent" or "I don't have an opinion on this." :grin:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

When I say “I don’t care” that means  I don’t have the energy to deal with it vs when I say “I don’t mind” means it’s out of kindness to let you do whatever you want. 

"I don't mind" is passive without being dismissive. It's the same as saying "I am not bothered nor inconvenienced by what you are doing; in fact, I might be interested to see where this is going."
"I don't care" is both passive and dismissive. To many, it's the same as saying "I don't want any part of what you're doing/offering. Leave me alone."

Obviously, these are not hard rules. There are exceptions and nuances, depending on the person or the situation. However, I find in most situations, this is a pretty good distinction.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For me, it is very context dependent. In certain situations, like if I am being asked a question, I tend to respond with. "Sure, go for it!" or "I don't mind!" but if I were mad at someone who's trying to justify their ways, I flat out tell them "I don't care." because, again, context matters.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if the meanings of "I don't care" and "I don't mind" are very similar, they aren't the same! "I don't care" means that you have no interest in a situation while "I don't mind" refers to the fact that both situations are fine to you. 

275292 - safe, princess luna, pony, g4, classy, female, hat, i say, monocle,  moustache, simple background, solo, top hat - Derpibooru