Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Day Should Hearth's Warming Eve Be? (And Other Pony Holidays)

Colon Leftbracket

So I was thinking of marking Hearth's Warming Eve on my calender, but I was wondering where to put it?

I mean the rest of the world fails to recognize this as an official holiday!

My first thought was to cross off Christmas and replace it with HWE, but that seemed like I was both betraying my childhood and insulting the Christian religion (not that I'm Christian but some ponies are, not to mention Capitalism is more celebrated on Christmas anyway hehe).

So to keep it Religiously Neutral I decided it was logical to put Hearth's Warming Eve on Dec. 17th since that's when the episode aired.

Unfortunately that means we just missed Hearth's Warming Day! :(

We have to wait an entire year to celebrate a holiday we missed!

So I was wondering what your thoughts were on this holiday!

Also, alternatively we can discuss when to mark Nightmare Night. Either on Halloween or the day the episode aired (I do not know, I became a Brony right after it's airing and cannot remember the date).

I'd probably just mark Nightmare Night as Oct. 31st since they both serve the same purpose.

If we're thinking about centering around the premiere date, let's just have Hearth's Warming Eve on the Saturday closest to the 17th. That would keep it in line with the airing schedule and when everypony is generally free to meet up. We could also do Boxing Day. Or maybe that's just the day Derpy gets her head stuck in a box. :P

Given that the holiday was introduced this year, let's make an exception and celebrate it Christmas Eve. Given that most of the secular community takes part in Christmas-based traditions anyway, I don't see too much of a problem.

Edited by Vinyl Scratch

New years day. It's not a holiday, just a man made date when we restart the callender.

It makes sense as the whole point of HWE was enerring a new world. OR make it december 31st as it is an EVE.

New years day. It's not a holiday, just a man made date when we restart the callender.

It makes sense as the whole point of HWE was enerring a new world. OR make it december 31st as it is an EVE.

Umm... isn't ANY date a man made date? I don't see animals mark their calender (IRL).

Bur I do like the idea that it would mark a new beginning much like the story! My only problem is that people do in fact celebrate New Years (well getting shitfaced drunk IS a celebration I suppose) and there's already a big festival for it. (The ball dropping in NYC)

So to not interfere any other festivities the 17th sounds like the best idea. But we can hold an exception this year and celebrate it in spirit on Christmas or Boxing Day (derp) or New Years!

Though mark your 2012 calenders on the 17th!

I'd probably just mark Nightmare Night as Oct. 31st since they both serve the same purpose.

Yeah they are virtually the same holiday I suppose... though when exactly did that episode air, because I don't mind exploiting a loophole to dress up twice! :P

• Brohoof 1

We could celebrate it tommarow, seeing how tomarrow is my birthday, then after that we could do it on the 17th

Hehe, I guess for this year Celebrate it when ever to make up for lost time!

As for all future years I declare that the 17th be now officially dubbed Hearth's Warming Eve!

Ponies seem to have a totally different date system than us. The calendar in Lesson Zero had 24 days per month if I recall correctly so December 25th probably doesn't even exist in Equestria.

Besides, the days and nights are regulated manually by Celestia and Luna so the days might not even be constant anyway! :P

I think, however that we should consider Heart Warming's Eve to be on December 17th for us since it's the date when the episode first aired. The same goes with the other pony holidays. So Nightmare Night would be on October 22. ...Even though both dates are probably called differently in Equestria! ^^

Ponies seem to have a totally different date system than us. The calendar in Lesson Zero had 24 days per month if I recall correctly so December 25th probably doesn't even exist in Equestria.

Besides, the days and nights are regulated manually by Celestia and Luna so the days might not even be constant anyway! :P

I think, however that we should consider Heart Warming's Eve to be on December 17th for us since it's the date when the episode first aired. The same goes with the other pony holidays. So Nightmare Night would be on October 22. ...Even though both dates are probably called differently in Equestria! ^^

Hmm...

Never thought of it that way. I mean't what day for us to celebrate it.

In Equestria time and dates are less relevant since the ponies control the seasons and day and night themselves.

So technically Ponies don't have the human sense of measured time since they can alter time themselves!

But with a 24 month calender they seem to regulate it, but if an emergency were to happen their whole calender becomes ruined! A really odd perception of time when you think of it! Throwing me for a loop here!

Anyway it seems the most reasonable and popular opinion is Hearth's Warming Eve is the 17th (Hearth's Warming Day the 18th I suppose then) and I guess we can celebrate Nightmare Night on the 22nd as well! Another excuse to wear costumes, eat candy, and scare people! Me Gusta! :)

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

December 20 each year, or whatever the day before Winter Solstice is.

Hearth's Warming Day is obviously inspired by the Christmas holiday which in turn is based off the Pagan celebration of Yule, which marks the Winter Solstice. It only fits :)

Similarly, Nightmare Night corresponds to Samhain (10/31), and its opposite holiday, The Grand Galloping Gala correspond to Beltane (Beltane 2011, 05/01, was within days of the airing of "The Best Night Ever")

I know... I'm a lapsed pagan, so forgive those undertones

The Equestrian calendar seems to be much more orbital, lunar and celestial than calanderial (heh heh, lunar/celestial).

Let's speculate how close of a fit this is: The Summer Sun Celebration obviously cannot celebrate the sun rising in-of-itself seeing as that happens every day. So I'm going to estimate that the Summer Sun Celebration celebrates when the sun is closest to the world, which are either the Northern Solstice (the planet is tilted furthest northward towards the sun, the longest day of the year for the northern hemisphere) or the Aphelion (the planet is farthest from the sun in its orbit). These vary year per year. In 2012, the Solstice was on June 20th, and the Aphelion was on July 5th. Upcoming events would be the Southward Equinox (the planet is neutrally tilted, angling southward) on September 22nd, and the Perihelion (the planet is closest to the sun) on January 2nd.

This all assumes the Equestrian Calendar is the same as ours (Modified Gregorian Calendar for the International Standard Time).

Keep in mind guys this is an OLD thread. After this I made an Equestrian Holiday Calendar which can be found in the link below.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/4515-pony-holiday-calendar/

There you can critique what days should go where.

Also the Calendar itself is also and OLD abandoned thread, so I have yet to update it. I suppose I shall do so later.

---

The Equestrian calendar seems to be much more orbital, lunar and celestial than calanderial (heh heh, lunar/celestial).

Let's speculate how close of a fit this is: The Summer Sun Celebration obviously cannot celebrate the sun rising in-of-itself seeing as that happens every day. So I'm going to estimate that the Summer Sun Celebration celebrates when the sun is closest to the world, which are either the Northern Solstice (the planet is tilted furthest northward towards the sun, the longest day of the year for the northern hemisphere) or the Aphelion (the planet is farthest from the sun in its orbit). These vary year per year. In 2012, the Solstice was on June 20th, and the Aphelion was on July 5th. Upcoming events would be the Southward Equinox (the planet is neutrally tilted, angling southward) on September 22nd, and the Perihelion (the planet is closest to the sun) on January 2nd.

This all assumes the Equestrian Calendar is the same as ours (Modified Gregorian Calendar for the International Standard Time)

This was basically what I had in mind for for Summer Sun Celebration, but I wasn't quite sure on what days that these fell on. Oddly enough the Summer Sun Celebration would differ between hemispheres. I guess the bigger one would be when the North is tilted seeing that the Northern Hemisphere has more people to celebrate, but of course I could mark a second day for our Southern Bronies (such as those living in South America, Australia, and Africa)

So you did solve one of the mysteries for my Calendar so thank you.

Well, what would winter wrap up day be?

Winter Wrap Up takes place the day before the start of Spring.

I have it marked for March 19th, though that differs from year to year seeing that Spring can start on either March 20th or March 21st.

Any other days you have questions about please look to the link above to see the Equestrian Holiday Calendar.

December 20 each year, or whatever the day before Winter Solstice is.

Hearth's Warming Day is obviously inspired by the Christmas holiday which in turn is based off the Pagan celebration of Yule, which marks the Winter Solstice. It only fits :)

Similarly, Nightmare Night corresponds to Samhain (10/31), and its opposite holiday, The Grand Galloping Gala correspond to Beltane (Beltane 2011, 05/01, was within days of the airing of "The Best Night Ever")

I know... I'm a lapsed pagan, so forgive those undertones

Interesting... though unfortunately I am unfamiliar with Pagan celebrations. (Other than Christmas, zing! Oh how they try and claim the Winter Solstice is a Christian celebration. No respect, and rob the Pagans of their Yule celebrations in the name of Christ. hahah :D)

Though like stated above I made a Calendar which is based on Episode Airings and Time of Best Fit. I marked it for Dec. 17th. Close to the Solstice, but still on the day that the episode premiered.