Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Viacom channels removed from DirecTV! (Update 7/20: agreement reached!)

Nas

(edited)

In a turn of recent events, Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB) has requested that DirecTV (NASDAQ: DTV) offer channels owned by Viacom, such as Nickelodeon (and it's subsidiaries), Comedy Central, MTV (and it's subsidiaries), VH1 (and it's subsidiaries), TV Land, and Spike to be offered to DirecTV customers, but with as premium channels that we have to pay for. In the basic package, said channels were always free. If DirecTV declines this monstrosity, and if Viacom doesn't like that, they will remove all of the channels respectively.

The fault doesn't belong to DirecTV, it is a company that is very satisfying to its customers, and from experience, wants them to have the best television service in their own personal views. Viacom just had this wild and crazy idea to make us pay for channels that have been free for the past 10 or so years. DirecTV is being smart, like their typical selves, and rejecting this already-dumb idea is the best solution.

Note that this wasn't the first case of greediness, last year, G4 was removed from DirecTV's channel list for the same reason, no reasonable compromise could've been made from the two companies, whereas G4 could've easily backed down and let us get away with a non-premium channel.

So, that said, whose side are you on, DTV or V-Com? How will this affect your views on either or both companies?

directvpromise.com

UPDATE: Viacom signals are now dark on DirecTV. Viacom channels are now no longer available.

Here is a list of channels that have been removed.

UPDATE 7/20: The two companies have reached an agreement, all Viacom channels are now back live on the air. Here's a list of channels that have returned:

MTV

MTV2

MTV Jams

MTV Hits

mtvU

Tr3́s

VH1

VH1 Classic

VH1 Soul

CMT

CMT Pure Country

Logo

Palladia

Nickelodeon

Nick 2

Nick at Nite

Nick Jr.

TeenNick

Nicktoons

Comedy Central

TV Land

Spike

Epix

Edited by NASCARFAN160licious

This happened before with DTV I believe.

Except we didn't get a bunch of different channels. They didn't go through with it in the end because DTV is awesome though.

It probably wont happen.

I thought G4 got removed because of the amazingly low ratings it got and the fact that it's programming is mainly re-reruns of COPS and Star Trek. Well not much lost here but than that would mean no more Colbert Report, yikes.

It's official, Viacom signals are dark on DirecTV's end. Viacom has officially forced them to remove the follwing channels from the list:

MTV

MTV2

MTV Jams

MTV Hits

mtvU

Tr3́s

VH1

VH1 Classic

VH1 Soul

CMT

CMT Pure Country

Logo

Palladia

Nickelodeon

Nick 2

Nick at Nite

Nick Jr.

TeenNick

Nicktoons

Comedy Central

TV Land

Spike

Epix

Blink!

It's official, Viacom signals are dark on DirecTV's end. Viacom has officially forced them to remove the follwing channels from the list:

MTV

VH1

Nick Jr.

Comedy Central

mfw

Posted Image

Lol, want to know something interesting?

Viacom blames DirecTv, DirecTv blames Viacom.

Watdo.

Switch to Xfinity! *thumbs up*

.....man, even I can't in all good conscience suggest that. They have their own flaws too.

Lol, want to know something interesting?

Viacom blames DirecTv, DirecTv blames Viacom.

That isn't interesting, that's par for the course.

Call me when I can pay for individual channels instead of dozens - if not hundreds - that I will never once watch.

• Brohoof 1

That isn't interesting, that's par for the course.

Call me when I can pay for individual channels instead of dozens - if not hundreds - that I will never once watch.

Mine would only consist of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, NBC Sports Network, USA (for WWE), Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, The Hub, and Fox Sports Detroit, and it would be glorious.

Hmm, this could make for an interesting thread. If given only 10 cable channels to watch which ones would they be?

Gee thanks Viacom for being overly greedy and stupid again and giving me something crappy to look forward to when I get home from vacation. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

It's official, Viacom signals are dark on DirecTV's end. Viacom has officially forced them to remove the follwing channels from the list:...

Are all of those channels out for every DirecTV package or just certain ones? And thankfully I never cared for most of those channels, but getting rid of the Nick channels I like AND Spike? Aw buck no! :(

Funny, none of these channels are the way they were years ago, Nickelodeon was for cartoons, not crappy sitcoms targeted towards preteen girls. MTV was for music videos, not crappy reality TV shows, plus I have U-verse, and Disney already does this.

I wouldn't miss them, we have ponies to watch!

Hmm, this could make for an interesting thread. If given only 10 cable channels to watch which ones would they be?

All yours.

Are all of those channels out for every DirecTV package or just certain ones? And thankfully I never cared for most of those channels, but getting rid of the Nick channels I like AND Spike? Aw buck no! :(

All of Viacom's channels came with the basic DirecTV package.

This seems ridiculous, even for Viacom. They have just removed themselves from one of the two biggest satellite companies in the US. I looked it up, and that's about 20 million people. Granted, I don't watch many of those channels, and I have Dish Network, but this is going to hurt Viacom. Satellite customers are under contract for a set time, so it's not easy to switch from DirecTV to something else. Then again, the big guy on top (CBS/Viacom) will still have their CBS channels on there, so they'll still be pulling money in that way. Still, I'm just dumbfounded.

• Brohoof 1

Viacom is to blame? Jeez, I remember when they were relentless on taking down content from YouTube, now they do this? Good thing I switched to AT&T U-Verse and Netflix, 'cause South Park is on Comedy Central :mellow:

It kind of doesn't make sense that Viacom is all "OH WE SHOULD TOTALLY GET MORE MONEY FOR THIS" :/ I think they're just losing money now since their channels have been taken off of DTV.