Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your favorite type of exotic food?

Twilight Sky

(edited)

Japanese, to be more specific SUSHI (but not with crab I am allergic to crab.)

Italian... Gelato........and pizza

Bahamian, Pea's and Rice (It has some grease then some more grease then some butter.)

Edited by Flame Dancer

• 8 months later...

Japanese would defiantly be my favorite, though I can't name any of the foods I just pointed on the menu on what looked good and got it xP Italian would be second since I love pasta and pizza.

• Brohoof 1

My Dad used to own an Italian restaurant so since I grew up with that stuff I can't really call it "exotic" as a matter of fact my Dad actually preferred American food over Italian food in part because to him American food seemed exotic. I love Italian food though no doubt about it, but I can't really call it exotic. I can't say the same for Mexican food either because I was born and raised in Southern California where there is a Mexican restaurant on practically every street corner though again I love it. So I would have to say Chinese food, especially if it is really spicy and of course comes with plenty of rice.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mexican for me. Not that Taco Bell crap, but REAL Mexican. If it's overloaded with asada and cooked in aluminum foil, it's the food for me.

Well, I like chimichangas (sp?), and quesadillas, and as many burritos as I can get my hands on. But I also love, repeat, looooove sushi. :3 Also, having dim sum in Chinatown is like tickling my belly with the feathers from the wings of angels. Even if I do eat more than a small hippo when I'm there. xD

Exotic foods, so many to choose from. For starters since I'm Vietnamese, I'll assume Vietnamese food isn't considered exotic since that is what I consume the most. In that case, It is a tie between Mexican and all other Asian cuisines for me.

I love authentic Mexican food as well as cuisines from different parts of Asia: Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, and even Indian.

All Asian food (that I've tried) has been awesome, so that's my niche. To name a specific dish, I'd have to go with Pad Thai. Because I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to spicy things, I always order it gringo hot. My first exposure to it was at a restaurant in Chantilly, Virginia, where the owner beat Bobby Flay in a Pad Thai competition. I actually didn't know that detail before I got there, I was just passing through on my way home from visiting the Smithsonian and stopped by for an early dinner. Since then I've tried it at several Thai restaurants, all of which have been good, but the lady from Chantilly makes the best Pad Thai I've ever tasted.

I would say "sushi" but it's not really exotic anymore. I mean you can get it at any supermarket in America (I'm assuming other western nations too) and there are like 5 sushi joints within a short drive from my house.

Hummus is awesome to eat crackers with but once again, not sure if exotic.

Indian chicken and curry is quite yummy but I only have had it a few times.

I guess I'll be watching this thread. I mean I like food...and I like hearing interesting/new food recommendations. Perfect match.

Indian - Tikka masala, heaven on a plate.

Italian - rigatoni and chicken in a rosa sauce is divine at my favorite restaurant, but anywhere that has its sauces perfected is a treasure.

Chinese - Not really sure how exotic Americanized 'Chinese food' actually is these days, but sesame chicken is my medicine.  Let's hear it for crab rangoon and hot and sour soup too.  Hard to find a decent hot and sour soup though!

Lebanese - Chicken schwarma sammiches, with fresh pita bread and hummus on the side.  *Drooooooool*

West African - 'Ground nut' (peanut) soup, and beef stew.  'Beef stew' you say?  That's not exotic!  True, but because of the different vegetables and spices used from the region, it tastes quite different from what we're used to, and it's yummy, trust me.

Oh, Japanese food! I just love the way they use taste combinations. They tend to use this kinda sweet and sour mixture and play with it a little. This results to some foods I wouldn't even want to try, and some that I'd just die to taste!

Oh, and I love sushi. I don't really get what the big deal is when people say "Ewwww, it contains raw fish!" (OFC, not all sushi contains raw fish, but some of them do).

Well, might be because I've been eating raw fish since it's pretty common in Finland...

I love japanese food. Korean is yummy too. C:

I guess food like eel and sharkfin are considered 'exotic'.. >_<

Though, to people over here, I thiinnkkk food like western steaks and burgers could be considered exotic, if not mistaken.

Personally, there is one Southeast Asian dish call chicken rice, I think, that I like. I also like chicken curry.

Haven't had either dish recently, though...

Oh, dude. If you come here, you can get lots of those. ;D

• Brohoof 1

Lol I didn't realize that exotic food was just food from a different country far out... hardly exotic. If that's what we're defining it as... I would say probably German, Chinese/Cantonese, South African and/or Vietnamese.  (traditional cooking from those places anyway)  

Assuming you live in the US, how is Mexican food exotic? It's like the most popular food in America besides American Cuisine. 

After all the places I've gone and all the food I've eaten, I'm going to have to go with Indian food. I might've gone with Italian, but it isn't really exotic to me at all. 

Edited by Ganondox

I love japanese food. Korean is yummy too. C:

I guess food like eel and sharkfin are considered 'exotic'.. >_<

Though, to people over here, I thiinnkkk food like western steaks and burgers could be considered exotic, if not mistaken.

Oh, dude. If you come here, you can get lots of those. ;D

Than I'm DEFINITELY coming over to pick you up to bring you back here to the East Coast!

I WANT MAH CHICKEN RICE AND CURRY, CELESTIA BUCK IT! XD

• 3 months later...

As far as Exotic food goes, I live in Scotland, so what might be normal for you folks over in America to eat, its usually unusual here. For instance, where I live in Scotland, The Shetland Isles, We don't even have a McDonalds! Or even a Burger King! (No KFC either!).

I would also point out, Exotic food would be different where people live, But I will post a few foods I enjoy and hope that it fits in!

So for Exotic food, I suppose Chicken Skewers from the Local Chinese, Along with Wantons, I am not a huge fan of anything spicy, as it tends to burn my mouth and leave painful scars for a few weeks :-(. I also enjoy Alligator, I had that when I went on Holiday to Nebraska, (Who goes to Nebraska, Everyone asked) Well my Grandparents live there, and I had no choice, I would much rather have gone in winter. I have very violent Hay fever and spent the whole time indoors sniffling. Then my granddad said some very mean things and we are never going back... Yay? Still, I've been to America Three times, I've learned some things.

If they offer you pancakes, Never ask how many is the maximum and say you will take that, I finished them, I didn't eat anything else that day... I did this on two separate occasions to prove a point.

The same applies with Milkshakes, Never ask for the Extra large, Its bigger than the meal itself, usually...

If you don't want anything on your burger, they will force salad down your throat, this annoyed me, However I had never actually had a cheese burger before, and I've found out they are ok with letting you have cheese and no salad, Woo!

If in doubt about a eating location where sawdust is the flooring, just know that the vegetarian option is likely go eat somewhere else, I however am definitely not a Vegetarian, Much closer to a Carnivore. Don't worry I would never eat a pony... Intentionally *Eyes Tesco*.

Now, I am typing too much here, my post is quite long, sorry about that, I tend to ramble, I am sorry for bringing up a dead post, But as I've seen on other forums, people get angry if you make new ones of ones that exist, and if you bring up dead ones, I will try my chances with bringing up a dead one!

TL:DR, Tasty food, Yummy food, Little balls of meat, Edible food, Foreign food, Chomp Chomp Chomp.

I'm not sure if this counts; it's been pretty Americanized over the past few decades and is pretty common in the States, but... sushi.

Dear god, is that stuff great. Most notably salmon rolls. Add a little sauce, and there you go. I could eat that stuff all day.

Also, ever heard of calamari? You can order it in almost any Italian restaurant. Basically, it's breaded squid. You'd be surprised how amazing it is.

One more thing. When I was about 10, I ordered escargot on vacation, and I remembered really enjoying it. Too bad you have to go way the hell out of your way to get it.